N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Ah, you nearly got him there, 3' off the ground so it fills up with deer hair and suggesting he put it up himself, so you can say "Wasn't installed by a professional from local 302 of the haircatcher and washroom airfreshener installers union, so results don't count" even if it does get some primate hair. :D

I'm not so sure there'd be trees big enough in the area, after being a completely barren wasteland of clear-cut forest they may not have grown back enough.

;-)

Ah, you nearly got him there, 3' off the ground so it fills up with deer hair and suggesting he put it up himself, so you can say "Wasn't installed by a professional from local 302 of the haircatcher and washroom airfreshener installers union, so results don't count" even if it does get some primate hair. :D

No. if the hair comes back with unknown primate hair, then at least you know you are in the right place.

You put it at 5' and your liable to kill some lost hiker or something.

Well your plan to kill lost hikers needs modification, they need to run into it, hard, so, flashbang in the bushes 20ft from it? :D

But I wasn't realizing you meant to string it across the trail, thought you meant to dangle lengths of it... I guess if across the trail you could mark it with trail tape flags.

Could play a double bluff game here, wood apes might recognise barbed wire as something humans put around something they don't want critters to mess with, like crops, livestock, so could fence off an area with a trail cam in it... reverse psychology...

SSR Team

With regards to baiting, I thnk it's pretty clear that the humans just being there is all the bait that is needed.

Keep going Bipto ( and crew ), keep going..

With regards to baiting, I thnk it's pretty clear that the humans just being there is all the bait that is needed.

Keep going Bipto ( and crew ), keep going..

I agree with this 100%

I believe that the NAWAC is actually engaging a troop in area X.  Having said that, man is this whole situation strange.  This BF troop is dumb enough to continue to engage these folks for years and somehow smart enough (and yes, lucky enough) to not get killed.  It must be a source of anxiety to NAWAC that on any given day, old gray could utter a commanding grunt and the whole group moves a few ridges over and it all ends.  Back to hunting for scattered chances of activity over 100,000 square miles...

This isn't really that strange.  It's similar to activity reported for known primates (chimps and gorillas particularly).

Add in the caution factor:  these guys don't want to accidentally plug a human, and this looks more like one than, say, a deer bear or cow.  Deciding whether to take advantage of a fleeting opp for a shot is, essentially, a combat situation, and when rules of engagement strongly counteract shooting one's own kind by accident, the tendency will be not to shoot.

I'd say these animals are being what one would expect:  maybe smarter, definitely not dumber, than the other ones out there.

"  Deciding whether to take advantage of a fleeting opp for a shot is, essentially, a combat situation, ..." -DWA

Have you been in combat DWA?

*** Mod Statement ***

Comments are starting to stray toward personal remarks directed toward others - Please refrain from such posting behavior and stay on topic.

Thank you,

Ginger

This isn't really that strange.  It's similar to activity reported for known primates (chimps and gorillas particularly).

I guess I am missing which part of it is similar to chimp and gorilla behavior?   It's not the aversion to game cams, it's not the ability to avoid bullets, it can't be the repeated coordinated missile assaults on the cabin, it can't be the part where they live and survive in Oklahoma hardwood forests.  I am just not seeing the parallels.  Can you be more specific?