N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Bipto: I've tried to follow this thread but have not read anything pertaining to some questions that are bugging me. (If I missed that information I apologize.) I also read the groups' "mission statement". Unless I misread it, it didn't mention the fact that the group intended to try to kill on of these animals ("Wood Apes").

It has been public knowledge that your group has been working in the Ouachita Mountains in both Oklahoma and Arkansas.

My question is, has your group applied for and obtained a "Scientific Collection Permit" from the Game & Fish agency of either of those states? If so, both states' applications require that both the species and scientific names of the biological specimen being sought must be disclosed. What names were used? 

If the permit was not obtained, did your group receive a written waiver from either state? 

Bipto: I've tried to follow this thread but have not read anything pertaining to some questions that are bugging me. (If I missed that information I apologize.) I also read the groups' "mission statement". Unless I misread it, it didn't mention the fact that the group intended to try to kill on of these animals ("Wood Apes").

"...to facilitate scientific, official and governmental recognition, conservation, and protection of the species and its habitat..."

That about covers it.

It has been public knowledge that your group has been working in the Ouachita Mountains in both Oklahoma and Arkansas.

My question is, has your group applied for and obtained a "Scientific Collection Permit" from the Game & Fish agency of either of those states? If so, both states' applications require that both the species and scientific names of the biological specimen being sought must be disclosed. What names were used? 

If the permit was not obtained, did your group receive a written waiver from either state?

I'm not going to get into a legal debate on how one would go about applying for a permit to collect an imaginary animal. While we have taken steps to try and stay on the right side of the law, collection of the holotype would obviously require a rewriting of all kinds of statutes. If, after we've collected the specimen, there are legal repercussions, we're prepared to accept them. This aspect of our work there has been discussed several times already.

I guess I am missing which part of it is similar to chimp and gorilla behavior?   

Then perhaps you should go back and study the source material because there are ample parallels between the types of behavior we've experienced and those observed in other primate populations. 

This part, where they try to encircle the pink monkeys... :D:o

That was CGI animation of the overhead 'night vision', intermixed with stock footage of a chimp eating a monkey.

Not sure what you mean by that, Mr. White.

Mr. Brown: I simply meant that the cartoon video was comedy, and accepted by the general public as being funny and amusing. Whereas, if and when your group successfully completes its mission, the majority of the general public will see nothing humorous about the groups' killing of a enigmatic primate that is no doubt our nearest relative. The public will find the whole thing more onerous when the press publishes the groups mission statement in which two of the goals are "conservation, and protections of the species". I think that what will really incur the wrath of the international press and public will be the readily available reports that indicate other groups have within the pass few years shot and severely wounded or killed three of these primates for the purpose of conserving and protecting their species.

I suspect that the members of Native American tribes who have accepted them as "The Other Tribe" for thousand of years will have more than a little to say about the deliberate killing of one, especially  in Oklahoma.

Not advice; just opinions. As you said, your group has prepared for legal challenges. Your group - if successful - will no doubt need a Press Spokesman/woman at least as talented and articulate as Jay Carney.

One suggestion: Wait for the Oxford report. Good chance the "Wood Ape" label is a misnomer.

Respectfully

Mr. Branco

I'm scratching my head over here trying to remember that last time someone who brought a new species to the attention of the world was vilified for doing so, but can't recall one. It is, of course, as you say. All opinion. 

Yes, because the Giant Apes in the Mountains of Eastern Oklahoma are surely doing the same things that the Chimps of Africa are doing!!

As I said, study up on the source material. We see a lot of parallels between observed primate behavior in known great apes and the ones we're interacting with in the Ouachitas. Anyone who's been following along who also has a basic understanding of what primates do can see that. It's the main reason people like Jane Goodall and Ian Redmond have given the subject the attention and consideration that have. 

Cotter beat me to it, and plussed as a reward for a good chuckle. Now I've got "Stuck in the Middle with You" running thru my mind, too!