N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

I think Melba and Adrian did the press conference because they just listened to the last podcast of Bipto's and they know time is running out for Biggie avoiding a cold slab.

What press conference is this? Did I miss something new? Lol...

SSR Team

Bipto, just a quickie.

If ( i know, i know ) Sykes study is positive and, for want of a better term, it all completely checks out and he brings the animal to Science and to the general public, would you Guys abandon what you're doing there or would you continue ?

• Upvote 1

I don't know why they'd want to abandon it.

We've known about chimpanzees for centuries.  And 90% of what we know about them we've found out in the past 50 years.  Most of that has been in the past 30; most of that in the past 20; and so on.

The point is not just to scientifically confirm it.  The point is to study it.  You don't stop that the day it's confirmed.  NAWAC is leagues ahead of everyone else.  Why stop?

Edited by DWA

If ( i know, i know ) Sykes study is positive and, for want of a better term, it all completely checks out and he brings the animal to Science and to the general public, would you Guys abandon what you're doing there or would you continue ?

We'll have to wait and see what, if anything, is released by Sykes. But DWA is correct. Regardless of what's released and how that pertains to the wood ape's acceptance as a real animal, we're not leaving X any time soon.  

Just finished listening to the latest show for the third time. Absolutely riveting, fascinating stuff. The idea of using garbage bags as a screen for a blind in conjunction with thermal optics is brilliant. I assumed the plastic would be enough of a barrier to block the IR wavelengths - obviously not. I assume you guys have considered blocking out the windows of the cabin in a similar fashion and using it as an additional blind? Might also work with vehicles with the windows rolled down, maybe even screened-in tree stands - the list is endless. Looking forward to hearing what else comes of this.

As an anecdotal observation -  I'm a bad snorer myself, and on numerous occasions my brother perceived a marked increase in animal activity around our camp while I was sawing logs. One particular instance he stated that a small herd of a dozen or so deer passed just feet from my tarp while I was sacked out and totally oblivious, but he was poking the embers of the fire. Record some good, out-cold snoring and run it through a predator caller, and  maybe elicit an approach from the target species?

Lastly, 220gr RN loads in a 30-06 will definitely be good ape medicine. Lots of guys I know use them exclusively for moose and black bear here in Ontario where max. range 70-100m shots through insanely dense boreal forest cover are the norm. Not as hefty a brush-buster as 45-70 RN's, but the recoil will be more manageable, and I've seen them put 1200lb moose on the deck with authority.

Thank you very much for sharing these experiences. I've been a stealth listener of the the show since the beginning and you guys have re-invigorated my interest in this subject. 

Edited by MadAxe

Yes.He's been invited.Neither of them have been there yet.

I would have imagined that they couldn't get there quick enough. Are you able to say why they have not been yet, if you know?

Thanks for the responses, btw.

I don't know why they'd want to abandon it.

We've known about chimpanzees for centuries.  And 90% of what we know about them we've found out in the past 50 years.  Most of that has been in the past 30; most of that in the past 20; and so on.

The point is not just to scientifically confirm it.  The point is to study it.  You don't stop that the day it's confirmed.  NAWAC is leagues ahead of everyone else.  Why stop?

If confirmed by Sykes as a primate with human linage, would the "study" still include "putting one on a slab"?

We'll have to wait and see what, if anything, is released by Sykes. But DWA is correct. Regardless of what's released and how that pertains to the wood ape's acceptance as a real animal, we're not leaving X any time soon.  

Same question asked of DWA: If confirmed by Sykes as a primate with human linage, would the "study" still include "putting one on a slab"?

Edited by Branco

Good point.  Our species has made it a clear point never, under any circumstances, to kill its own kind.

The evidence doesn't say human.  I wouldn't be waiting for Sykes.

Branco - if Sykes' study came back and did show human lineage, AND was accepted by "Science" as legit, and catalogued.

I would guess that indeed many peoples' end goals would be revised.

I'm scratching my head over here trying to remember that last time someone who brought a new species to the attention of the world was vilified for doing so, but can't recall one.

Good point, but you must know that it is likely you will be the first here as well, as Mr. Branco has discussed.  Not that you are not prepared for that, with years of documentation going back as to why NAWAC has this position, and this is not something you are doing in secret.  But of course, you are so far under the radar as far as the general public is concerned you might as well be doing this in secret.  Everyone in the BF community has already decided how they are going to react to your groups collection goal.  The public on the other hand are going to lose it...

Guest Urkelbot

I think if the DNA study comes back human and is accepted there would be an even greater push to hunt one down by certain groups. But they wouldn't necessarily let it be known to the public. A body from a population of human hybrids previously unknown would be worth a lot of money on the open or black market.

urkelbot- I think that is the problem in a nutshell, people huntig down BF even if it is NOT a hybrid human; for money and/or fame no matter what the protocal is. The mystery would be solved vs for fame and money is the root of the problem and the motives involved. I just don't buy the -well if a type specimen is supplied then protection would be easier; just don't buy that, I look at the motive.Killing someone mother or father or family member is what isbeeing discussed here.

Edited by ptangier

In the end, it's only speculation that getting confirmation will improve the species' (there may actually be more than one) prospects.

It's going to take a lot for us to pry our hands off all the goodies our unsustainable way of life is providing us.  It may be harder than telling deer not to reproduce because they're overgrazing the range.

I think if the DNA study comes back human and is accepted there would be an even greater push to hunt one down by certain groups. But they wouldn't necessarily let it be known to the public. A body from a population of human hybrids previously unknown would be worth a lot of money on the open or black market.

Well I say let em try.  Bipto's group's been at it what, 5 years now (assume if you can get a photo you can get a shot).

If anyone wants to put that much effort into poaching one of these things, let em try. 

I'm concerned what's going to happen when Bipto's crew does drop one, what will the others do?  If these things exist, there are ALREADY trophy hunters out there trying to take one.   And, apparently, not very succesful.