N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

SSR Team

Hello Brian,

Hey thanks, that would be much appreciated. Kinda would like to know what sort of noses are runnin' around in the Ouchitas if the opportunity arises.

:lol

I know the inaccuracy of such a slug fired from a 12 gauge, you might have a chance at 80 yards max, and I am not sure that would be a sufficient kill shot.(maybe possible with an Ithica tactical SRT 12 guage) Justin fired what he thought was a sufficient kill shot from very close range and the animal got up and ran away. I do not truthfully know the durability of thermal scopes vs high power rifle recoil, but I suspect the gas mechanism can reduce the amount of recoil. I can understand the constraints of area X, but if that does not allow you to shoot the creature in a fashion that assures a kill then what the heck are you doing there, entertaining yourselves to no avail, use what is needed to assure a kill shot, you already failed once. Up the caliber and take your chances with the deflection. The suggested weapons would give you several chances depending on your shooting skill. I am suggesting you obtain the services of an expert shooter, capable of cold kill shooting, accustom the shooter to the presence of the creature(feed him some beta blockers), set him up on the high ground overlooking the area, and from that vantage point coordinate the shot, allow the animals to move in and with thermal imaging scope take your chances, if you get a kill shot who cares about the scope, I am quite sure you will recover it's cost.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Hey, from an amateur like myself these are some pretty solid suggestions. All I am saying is spend less of your money

playing "patty cake", pardon the pun, and if your really after a specimen determine your course. Yah Rene, I know...

Guest zenmonkey

We've had members hear on several occasions Sierra Sounds (disk 1) type vocalizations. We even recorded a bit of it back during Endurance (2011). 

jesus christ that is so creepy!!!! really hearing that creeps me out! Speech was something I never subscribed to but it seems like its being captured more and more I'm not sure what to think about that. Almost takes it out of the idea (for me) that they are just a rare ape. confuses me to death!

Bipto I am a huge tech nerd was always interested in the gear you carry, flashlights, backpacks even bug repellent. Last time I was down near X my ankles got so swollen by chiggers I couldn't fit a boot on.  Maybe a subject for the podcast?

From what I know about the terrain in that area, an 80 yd. line of sight is very, very unlikely. More like 10-20 yds., max. In that situation, a slug is going to be a very good choice, or a 10 or 12ga 00 load.  From what I can tell, the NAWAC folks are banking on an ambush kill at these ranges, and for good reason. Fantasies of surgical, non-reflexive sniper kills from long distances are maybe a little optimistic.     

I have to say also, the condition of your specimen once you kill it is probably a very distant consideration. A BF corpse (or really, even a piece of one) is going to be a game changer no matter what shape it is in. So yeah, if you have to ventilate it through-and-through, as gruesome as that is to contemplate or experience, you've still accomplished the major biologic breakthrough of our times.

I apologize for sounding so harsh and calculating about shooting a Squatch, but I really respect the creature, and the idea of chancing wounding one, even for the sake of science upset me. To all those with the NAWAC I offer my apologies for taking you

to task, however I hope you consider regulating more definitively the situation you will allow some one to take a shot, what range, and using what weapon. If your encounters are really at this close of a range then perhaps a shotgun might be adequate.

I disagree with the use of buckshot though, I feel this might not have the knock down capability, but would probably only penetrate but not be lethal. Anything that can run thru thorny thickets must have some tough outer layer of skin, that is my humble opinion.

Zenmonkey....I've not had any hard convictions regarding the whole ape/human debate, but the language piece is a tough one to reconcile with the ape theory, isn't it?  I'm wondering as well if DNA studies might even prove to show a "human" (albeit a very archaic human) genome.  I defer to those who've had upclose encounters to give their impressions, and the NAWAC's impressions not withstanding, but I've seen some very compelling cases for the "human" classification.  I guess it is just an academic debate though. Only one thing will settle it for good and always, and that is why I'm rooting for Bipto's people to get their chance. 

jesus christ that is so creepy!!!! really hearing that creeps me out! Speech was something I never subscribed to but it seems like its being captured more and more I'm not sure what to think about that. Almost takes it out of the idea (for me) that they are just a rare ape. confuses me to death!

Bipto I am a huge tech nerd was always interested in the gear you carry, flashlights, backpacks even bug repellent. Last time I was down near X my ankles got so swollen by chiggers I couldn't fit a boot on.  Maybe a subject for the podcast?

Good to see I'm not alone when I listen to that. Did you hear "back away" too? 

Sure thing. That said, one word: Permethrin. The stuff is from the gods. All the time I've spend down there (all tolled, something like two months) I've had a grand total of two ticks on my with one bite and a mere handful of chiggers on my arm when I had my sleeves rolled up. The stuff is amazing. 

Hi Brian,

You have said that sightings fall off in winter as the vegetation thins but that you think the BF are in the area all year. Tell me, has NAWAC done a systematic review and exploration of abandoned gravel pits/quarry operations in the vicinity of area X?

There may be a higher probability of observing BF in or around these spots.

Also Oklahoma has large salt deposits all over the state. Do you know if there are any exposed salt deposits in the vicinity?

Just speculating, but it might be worth checking out.

Guest zenmonkey

Sure thing. That said, one word: Permethrin. The stuff is from the gods. All the time I've spend down there (all tolled, something like two months) I've had a grand total of two ticks on my with one bite and a mere handful of chiggers on my arm when I had my sleeves rolled up. The stuff is amazing. 

Oh awesome thank you! those are awesome results. I seem to be a good target for EVERY bug!

Hi Brian,

You have said that sightings fall off in winter as the vegetation thins but that you think the BF are in the area all year. Tell me, has NAWAC done a systematic review and exploration of abandoned gravel pits/quarry operations in the vicinity of area X?

There may be a higher probability of observing BF in or around these spots.

Also Oklahoma has large salt deposits all over the state. Do you know if there are any exposed salt deposits in the vicinity?

Just speculating, but it might be worth checking out.

Thats a good thought, I know most of the large salty areas are up north west part of the state though

Have you ever used Absorbine Jr?  It works good for gnats/biting flies in my area.

Listened to the recording and I'll say it again, they are not apes!!!    Apes do not talk with emotion like what I just heard from your recording.  Have you considered changing your acronym to something like

Hairy People Conservation.org???

Peace

• Upvote 1

Nice recording of that samurai chatter, I think you should reconsider the kill a specimen theory. If you guys would

love them up a bit they would probably provide you with some real good data, and eventually let science prove they exist.

Once the world finds out you'll all be shoved aside and left for dead yourselves if your to blame for killing one. Do not think that science will ever want to consult us, they will ridicule and toss us all under the bus, that's the deal. It is more romantic than my clean kill shot notion to think you'll somehow be given credit for bringing one down, actually they'll paint you as a bunch of over amped blood thirsty killers who shot one the earths rarest creatures, I cannot see any other result. I do not say this to insult you or your efforts, but realize the end game is not what you think if you kill one. It could wind up a slightly different way than the Ape Canyon confrontation, this time it could be Apes 7-NAWAC 0 which would mean that your bodies will be the ones examined, except for the fact that they are slightly more civilized than that, but we all have a breaking point.

Guest zenmonkey

Nice recording of that samurai chatter, I think you should reconsider the kill a specimen theory. If you guys would

love them up a bit they would probably provide you with some real good data, and eventually let science prove they exist.

Once the world finds out you'll all be shoved aside and left for dead yourselves if your to blame for killing one. Do not think that science will ever want to consult us, they will ridicule and toss us all under the bus, that's the deal. It is more romantic than my clean kill shot notion to think you'll somehow be given credit for bringing one down, actually they'll paint you as a bunch of over amped blood thirsty killers who shot one the earths rarest creatures, I cannot see any other result. I do not say this to insult you or your efforts, but realize the end game is not what you think if you kill one. It could wind up a slightly different way than the Ape Canyon confrontation, this time it could be Apes 7-NAWAC 0 which would mean that your bodies will be the ones examined, except for the fact that they are slightly more civilized than that, but we all have a breaking point.

Let science prove they exist? well ya know how that happens? You can have all the DNA dart guns or video or hair that you want, but you HAVE to have a body to examine. Its as simple as that. Unless you can catch one and by all means be my guest! I mean I wouldn't wanna shoot one personally I wouldn't want to pull the trigger but id love to be right there when it happens. It seems a tad cruel but in the grand scheme of the universe its pretty insignificant. Yes they may be labeled by some as "killers"But the ones that label them that dont understand basic biology and or how important this discovery is and how it will change our lineage