Eyeglow Encounters

I've also seen the bluish silvery eyes at night with my binoculars.  I must say though, that there was a lot more silvery than blue.  I counted 3/4 sets and not that extremely far away.   

This was in a very active area that had sounds, sightings and witnesses.

I started a similar thread a few months back.. (and I think there is another too) and don't want to repeat..

.and yet, don't want the data to disassemble ... until our witness includes some of this stuff we miss it....so...just bringing that link in here and asked Mods if they could merge all these eyeshine threads....  

Thanks for your witness and starting the thread.. I PM'd you as well!

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/35675-eye-shine-witnesses/?hl=%20eyeshine%20%20witnesses

Edited by apehuman

I do not buy the idea that sasquatch have glowing eyes. I feel that it is possible that many of the reports of sasquatch eyeshine were in fact misidentifications. I think many people are seeing owls when they report red eyeshine, and since the owl is likely to be in a tree, people suspect it is a tall animal. I don't know of any animal that has glowing eyes. If there are any I would love to know about them.

I have seen all types of eyeshine at night, ever since I was a little kid, as I grew up with woods in every direction. But there are no sasquatch this far away from the larger forests here in Texas, and therefore I always attributed eyeshine to regular animals, even if I wasn't sure what animal was responsible for the eyeshine. I will admit though that sometimes certain types of eyeshine can be spooky. I suppose it has to do with it being dark to begin with. 

I will not say that it is impossible that witnesses are seeing sasquatch eyeshine. It is quite possible. But if this is the case, I would suspect that they are reflecting the ambient light from the moon and the stars, rather than producing their own light. I cannot even see a biological need that would have allowed such a trait to develop and flourish. I also think people get confused because they don't know the distance of the eyeshine. If the distance is unknown, the size and distance between the eyes can easily be miscalculated, and the witness can think that the eyes were too big to be an owl, as an example, which is not necessarily the case.

I would just be very careful in saying that any eyeshine you saw is definitely from a sasquatch. Seeing the animal during the daylight hours is one thing, but when all one has to go on is eyeshine, there is quite a lot of room for error. And your claim that the eyes were producing their own light, in my opinion at least, calls into question whether you are able to distinguish between reflected eyeshine and internally produced light in the eyes. I don't mean to insult you or anything, but as I said, it is not like self illumination of the eyes is something that is common, if it even occurs anywhere in nature. So you have to understand that if what you saw was a reflection of ambient light, but you claim it was internally generated, then one cannot help but question you a bit more rigorously, I suppose is the best term.

What I think you should do is attempt to document what you have seen, so it can be analyzed. And even if there are sasquatch in the area, please don't assume that a sasquatch must be causing this eyeshine. 

Two months ago a buddy and I went backpacking. We stayed at a lean-to in a little traveled area on a remote pond.  I brought my Tiablo A9 flashlight, with its aspheric lens, and it throws a narrow spot a great distance.

My buddy wood knocked and we heard nothing in return. We then went down to the pond's edge and I proceeded to go up and down the pond's edge (300' wide by 1/3 mile long) with my flashlight.  On the second pass, we saw red eye shine when the light hit the west end of the pond some 70 yards away.

Whatever it was, was elevated. Within a second or two of the light hitting it, the red eyeshine began swaying back and forth.  After a minute, it then moved to its left, our right. The eyes then dropped down a good distance as though it were something trying to crouch behind an object. After another minute, the eyes then moved a bit to its right and then became elevated to about the original height.

I would love to know what we saw that night. I tried to rationalize that it was an owl especially because we heard a barred owl that night. However there are three things that I can not explain away.

1) When the "swaying" occurred, the distance between the left and right sway seemed to be far too great to be a barred owl swaying. They're only 18"-24" and the sway width would not be several feet like it appeared to us.

2) The "crouch down" movement was a fair vertical distance downward.  The eyes never lost their red eyeshine during the crouch. It's possible that an owl leaped onto a lower branch.

3) Finally, the movement back right and then upward, as if standing, didn't make sense to me. The owl would have had to ambled across a branch then leaped upward onto a higher one. I don't know if any of this is consistent with owl behavior. Haven't a clue.

I might be able to explain that we saw an owl if only #2 and #3 occurred. When taken together with a swaying motion, whose width of sway seemed much too great to be an owl, it has me scratching my head.

The next morning we did go to the area where the eye shine was but it was difficult to get at. It was filled with blow down, trees, and was very bushy. There was also water 6" deep in some areas making walking very tenuous. My buddy did see a grassy clump that was pushed down, as if steeped on, but a bear could have done that. We did not see prints.

Any thoughts?

Edited by wiiawiwb

Interesting. I would be inclined to return better prepared to discover (and possibly record) the source if it happens again, or if you can influence it's occurrence thru response calls (the barred owl) etc...  happy squatchin'. 

Edited by apehuman

I'm certain that I have mentioned it before but just in case, my little bro saw an eight foot hairy guy across the road from my house.  He said the eyes were amber colored, as big as golf balls and about six inches apart.  He was at my fence, a few feet away from the road (short bar ditch)no shoulders, then a few feet at the treeline on the other side of the road.  Maybe 40 ft or so.  I'd say he had a pretty good look. No glow, however, lots of heavy breathing episodes.

Edited by Sunflower