Eyeglow Encounters

Sorry folks, but I am going to take this thread in a really weird direction.  Was working tonight with Discoveries "Mermaid: The New Evidence" in the background.  I honestly was not paying attention until I heard something about "Glowing Eyes" and thought of this thread.  I searched Google and this is the best I could find for y'all.

A few points:

- The video on my laptop sucks.  The video I saw on the TV shows very clearly glowing eyes from something that is absolutely not a seal.

- I do not believe in mermaids and the original show Discovery did on Mermaids I believe to be very suspect.

With that said, you be the judge.  I found it interesting enough to post.

Back to work......

Oh what's too weird in BFdom..?  haha beats a Dyer discussion! Strange figure yes, but resolution here bad as well on laptop ad wireless slow server......  but, I wonder where they are in relation to land?  The news anchor say they determined seal..?  There is a flashlight shining, and  I have no idea if seal eyes are reflective.!  

• 2 months later...

Would love to hear about any experiences involving eyeglow. Not eyeshine where reflection of nearby light is involved, but any experience where it appeared the eyes were actually emitting light and not reflecting it. Most encounters I've experienced in my area at night involved this phenomenon and would love to compare notes.

I'll go ahead and start this one off with an experience I had just last night...

I've posted a few times here on the forums and consider it one of my favorite websites to visit and read. There is a wealth of information here and I appreciate the many answers and opinions to questions that I have had. I have another question today about something that really has me disturbed. We have what I consider a habituation on our property and has been for at least a year now. Last night I had an eye glow experience in my backyard. We've had several of these, but this one really has me wondering. The subject and I were looking at each other from about 30 yards apart. He was in complete darkness but I could see his eyes perfectly. What has me confused is that the eyes appeared to be about a foot and a half apart. When they moved around or swayed back and forth they both moved in perfect synchronization. At first I thought it was two individuals showing only one eye a piece since the eyes were so far apart, but the way they moved it was like it was one individual. I've never heard of a Bigfoot that had eyes that far apart. Has anyone ever experienced two Bigfoot's moving in synchronization like this?? Is it possible that two individuals were doing this in order to make it look like one large Bigfoot in order to intimidate me? I know I saw this, but it's just not making sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Urkelbot

How and why would bigfoot have glowing eyes?

No mammals are known to produce biluminescence so bigfoot would have to have evolved this independently.

What advantages do glowing eyes provide?  If bigfoot is hunting at night wouldn't glowing eyes give away its position?  Wouldn't the tapetum lucidum be enough for a nocturnal bigfoot to see at night, and make much more evolutionary sense?  Other options would be communication but they are said to vocalize and wood knock.  Or maybe some sort of sexual selecton trait which i guess could be possible.

The only thing that might make evolutionary sense might be that they are adapted to living underground and deep in caves where the glow might be the only light source.

The only thing that might make evolutionary sense might be that they are adapted to living underground and deep in caves where the glow might be the only light source.

That's a point of view I've never thought about. It would be extremely useful underground.

Urkelbot, that's some good questions. Why and how, I wish I knew. The only thing I can say is that there are countless reports of what appear to be light emitting eyes instead of light reflecting. I've seen it myself many times. I've seen orange, green and white in my neck of the woods. I also see (mainly during the winter months) a lot of what I can only describe as a bright white flash. Several times I've seen this flashing from the treeline at one end of a field, then from the opposite side of the field I'll see return flashes. Communication maybe?

One of the most unnerving experiences I've seen (three times actually) is what looks almost like a flashlight. Twice I've seen it in trees and once up on the hill behind my home about 40 feet away. That particular time I'm pretty sure was a diversion. I was standing on my back porch and up the hill to my left I saw him step out from behind some brush. All I could see was bright white eyes and he was completely silent. While I was looking up the hill at him I heard one take off behind me into the woods. I can only assume I was too close to his buddy and he stepped out to get my attention while the other one took off. It worked.

Edited by gcraddock7

If they spend their lives in caves, wouldn't it make more sense that they'd have evolved in similar fashion to other cave dwellers like moles, blind Salamanders, or eyeless fish?  In other words, rather than relying on glowing eyes, they'd evolve without eyes, or with useless eyes?  Moreover, wouldn't they be effectively blinded by the daylight, given how dilated and sensitive their pupils must be?  How would they function in the day?

Guest JiggyPotamus

I do not buy the idea that sasquatch have glowing eyes. I feel that it is possible that many of the reports of sasquatch eyeshine were in fact misidentifications. I think many people are seeing owls when they report red eyeshine, and since the owl is likely to be in a tree, people suspect it is a tall animal. I don't know of any animal that has glowing eyes. If there are any I would love to know about them.

I have seen all types of eyeshine at night, ever since I was a little kid, as I grew up with woods in every direction. But there are no sasquatch this far away from the larger forests here in Texas, and therefore I always attributed eyeshine to regular animals, even if I wasn't sure what animal was responsible for the eyeshine. I will admit though that sometimes certain types of eyeshine can be spooky. I suppose it has to do with it being dark to begin with. 

I will not say that it is impossible that witnesses are seeing sasquatch eyeshine. It is quite possible. But if this is the case, I would suspect that they are reflecting the ambient light from the moon and the stars, rather than producing their own light. I cannot even see a biological need that would have allowed such a trait to develop and flourish. I also think people get confused because they don't know the distance of the eyeshine. If the distance is unknown, the size and distance between the eyes can easily be miscalculated, and the witness can think that the eyes were too big to be an owl, as an example, which is not necessarily the case.

I would just be very careful in saying that any eyeshine you saw is definitely from a sasquatch. Seeing the animal during the daylight hours is one thing, but when all one has to go on is eyeshine, there is quite a lot of room for error. And your claim that the eyes were producing their own light, in my opinion at least, calls into question whether you are able to distinguish between reflected eyeshine and internally produced light in the eyes. I don't mean to insult you or anything, but as I said, it is not like self illumination of the eyes is something that is common, if it even occurs anywhere in nature. So you have to understand that if what you saw was a reflection of ambient light, but you claim it was internally generated, then one cannot help but question you a bit more rigorously, I suppose is the best term.

What I think you should do is attempt to document what you have seen, so it can be analyzed. And even if there are sasquatch in the area, please don't assume that a sasquatch must be causing this eyeshine. 

Jiggy,

I get where you are coming from but I've seen a pic of a juvenile and the eyes are turning pinkish red in the daytime!!!!!! 

Just because someone's seen it doesn't mean the picture belongs to them. Wow !! you were quick to jump to conclusions!! LOL

I've experienced eyeshine on several occasions as have several people I know. It's not always red, but is often. WRT to owls, I have also seen owls in trees at night and have been able to get their eyes to reflect. In comparison, owl eyes are much smaller, closer together, and not as vibrantly colored. Not saying that all purported bigfoot eyeshine is not owls, but in the cases of my own experiences, it was not the cause. 

I'd like to say that all instances of glowing eyes are, in fact, reflective eyes because as has been pointed out, there aren't any other examples of that in the natural world. However, I've spoken to people who swear that the eyes spontaneously glowed, not reflected, so I'm left at a loss. Another from a long list of questions that will someday be answered.

Although this is a thread about eye shine witnesses, I think some of the discussion might interest you ( gcraddock7 ).

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/35675-eye-shine-witnesses/

On two occasions , I saw probable dull red eye shine / glow that was on the move. The first time, we were sitting in camp, but in the dark. There was some overcast and sky glow, that could have possibly caused reflection. The last time, there was no moon, and just starlight that could have caused reflection. My question... is starlight alone, enough to produce eye shine ? The shine / glow seemed to pulsate... or else the subject was blinking, or just moved behind branches, to cause the effect I witnessed. Second time (to my relief) another investigator also witnessed it. 

In years of nocturnal birding, looking for owls and night jars...  I never saw eye shine from any critter, with just starlight. There was always either moonlight, or a man made light source, put on the subject. I consider it strange, like many things about the mystery.. but have no answers why, or how. I've been told by several folks... it Had to be reflective. So I just say "Ok", and continue to investigate along my merry way.

Edited by imonacan

Both times I saw the green glowing eyes, there was no other light source. We don't have a security light here & when it's dark, it's dark. There was no moon either time & no light coming from the house. There was no possibility of it being a reflection.

These were soft & muted, somewhat like a dim, indirect glow from a fluorescent light. They were nothing like reflection from animal eyes, which are bright, sharp & easily discernible.

One was lying on top of the tractor shed, peeping over the peak of the roof. I knew he was somewhere around, but didn't know where until I noticed the light spot out of the corner of my eye. It took a while to realize what it was, but finally, I said "I see your eyes" & they were immediately gone. Another time there was the same dim glow coming from under a bush at the edge of the yard. There was no movement or blinking. I watched them for several minutes, then said "Who's under that bush?" & they immediately disappeared & I heard some rustling in the leaves behind the bushes. It seemed that neither of these were intending for me to see them.

This picture is posted in a couple of other threads, but it shows what the glow looks like.

Eyeshine_zps81eb103e.jpg

Edited by Sasfooty