Eyeglow Encounters

Me either....the nocturnal  "lower" primates might be the analogy...

hard to imagine bio- luminescence..like fireflys or fish...(what about a symbiotic relationship with another organism..like fungi or something? ah..)

also, if the eye  created the light wouldn't it interfere with the seeing beyond it?

In contrast to a well focused (or intensified only perhaps..possibly even biochemically in the iris?)  redirection of ambient light...super duper reflectivity?  

A combination perhaps even...less emphasis on the biochemical aspect..

I am in the super duper reflective eye  ( my scientific terms)  camp...that just appears to self luminescence right now..for those reasons..

Edited by apehuman

1. Seeing in the dark.  I don't consider this a particularly likely purpose for it, especially considering its the eyes that are supposedly the source of light.

It seems to me that the answer is 3 but there is a report that it may serve as communication between individuals too. I know it makes no sense, but it seems to only be used when in complete darkness which is when I witnessed it

There are several reasons why I don't consider "seeing in the dark" as the purpose behind a supposed bioluminescence of the eyes.  The biggest being is that that would hamper night vision, not enhance it.

There are several reasons why I don't consider "seeing in the dark" as the purpose behind a supposed bioluminescence of the eyes.  The biggest being is that that would hamper night vision, not enhance it.

You are right of course, so there must be something else to it. Perhaps the eye glow is an artifact. Perhaps the eyes are concentrating light and filtering out visible light and is projecting IR allowing them to see in IR. This isn't much different to what AH is saying. It is only a hypothesis and I don't know of anyway to test this as with all BF phenomenon. .

I would defiantly believe more of a incredible concentration of ambient light than having eyes actually glow. Independent bioluminance eyes would be completely self defeating in a primarily nocturnal creature.

• 4 weeks later...

The BFs were out behind the pond just after sunset today, & I went out & snapped a few pictures. This one has something that looks suspiciously like eyeshine. As usual, it's distant & blurry.

Eyeshine_zps81eb103e.jpg

Edited by Sasfooty

Sasfooty thanks for this....very similar to what I saw...the unmistakable two light sources...or eyeshine that is there even without pointing a flash or light that way....    I wonder if you are at all motivated to try some long term monitoring? It can be a hassle mess, but if you are...PM me maybe I have some equipment I can lend you....  I have not edited or even reviewed a good deal of long running video for these small effects....I figured if my day BF video wasn't good enough....and most of the nighttime eyeshine stuff of course leaves anyone wondering..what is behind those eyes, how big? etc...argg!

Guitarman, I think most of us feel that is more likely....it's just we seem to lack a direct example...of say a lemur or howler monkey with the same effect....although they are nocturnal and represent two systems of night vision....  but can't say I have seen every night time lemur video either!

Edited by apehuman

Is that top pic max zoomed out within your camera SF. Its obvious the lower pic is zoomed...Just curious why its so pixelated even closer in.

Is it a a low MP camera? just wondering....

No, I think that one is zoomed up all the way, & then I cropped some off it to make it smaller. The camera is old & there wasn't much light. I wasn't expecting to get anything but the usual orbs & light balls & they're better zoomed.

If you would like to tinker with it, I can email you the original, but it's a pretty crappy picture.

Edited by Sasfooty

Sasfooty what region of the US are you in?

p.s  a new monkey species this year...with really human noses...from the Congo..known to locals for bush meat...but ,science didn't identify till 2013..wow...

also, new species of cockroach that has bio-luminescence and survives only in systems without light..humm..maybe BFs have a synergistic relationship...haha  with cockroaches (can only think of Whoopi Goldberg..in that basketball film... You a little cockroach..!)

Edited by apehuman

A friend took a pic in the daytime of a young one (I think) and it's eyes were just starting to go to the pinkish color but it has an orange area.  It's not mine to share so I can't but maybe some day she will??????

Add my 13 year old daughter to the list of gold eye glow witnesses.  The short story is she took our dog out to go to the bathroom around 10:30 PM last fall.  The dog started going crazy barking at something.  My daughter saw what looked to be two lights about 20 yards away.  She shines a flashlight at it and sees a 7 1/2 BF with brilliantly glowing golden eyes.  Terrified she fled back in to the house and sent me about a dozen text telling me about the encounter (I was on a business trip that night).

- NCBRR

I plussed that, a tough witness to pass on.  I see you mention home....and wondering what you are thinking?  Coming here, or to the crazy BF community is about all available to work through it....that is scary isn't it? !!

But, you do have her texting, etc..and some groups do take official sighting reports....have you made an official report anywhere?

Not many that will stand behind the eyeshine witness..or that see it without a flashlight..and with light sources  we tend to minimize that part of the brightness..it must be reflection..or super duper such..but it is special....

I can't recall your posts in Habituating..did you make any (it takes me a while to attach memory to our pennames/posts...my bad) ?...several home owners post there..... and some with successful, at least for now, situations in that they feel relatively safe, etc and no harm yet to animals....  and a few have some stronger views too...it's interesting stuff..

Edited by apehuman

AH - Thanks for the plus.  Some answers to your questions.

- I thought about posting a formal report on BFRO but decided not to for a few reasons including her being a minor and not wanting local BF enthusiast hiking all over the area.  I have posted pieces of the encounter in a few threads in BFF and discussed it in detail with a few folks here via chat.  I did have her write a complete description with picture and diagram of what she saw the day I returned from the trip for posterity.

- I was freaked out for a couple of weeks as the location had direct line of sight to my 10 and 13 year old daughters 2nd floor bedrooms.  I have since concluded that it was a random event with the BF migrating through the area and hunting deer that night in our neighborhood (which is about 2/3rds woods and 1/3rd houses and borders a medium-sized lake).  However, there is a reason that we keep a strong flashlight by the door at all times and is used by whomever is going out with the dogs late at night.

- I have lurked the habituation threads but not posted since I do not believe there are any permanent BF residents in the area now.  They come through here from time to time and perhaps stay for a few months but none living here now.

- I personally have not yet formed a conclusion on eye shine.  My initial thoughts on the red eye shine reports were that they were more demonic in nature than BF.  My thinking has evolved over the last year since joining this site and reading hundreds of BF reports and articles.  I am coming to believe there are two different BF types where one group is simply wood apes and the second group is something very different where eye shine/glow would be possible and even explain a few things.  

Unfortunately, I am slammed by work these days so this is all I want to say for now.  I posted tonight simply because I still want to contribute to the forum even if I no longer have the time to keep up with it.

Take Care,

Chris

no worries, thanks for the response, and glad this forum has provided some feedback....of course now I want to know where...and will look at your profile and find your posts.....  enjoy work!