Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

You could have fooled me Trogluddite, seems you have a real handle on the stats, I will check out your

sightings thread for sure. I guess the fall off in sightings could also be related to people not being

out doors, but then again hunters flock to the woods in fall and winter around me, but I think that is

what really forces the Squatches to find seclusion. I've heard of such a location where they hide in winter, an impenetrable dense lowland swampy coniferous patch, far to dense to enter into without a chainsaw,

and people have been screemed at when coming near to it, something like that is there winter location.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Ok, I have not followed this thread simply because of limited time. Although if we're discussing barges of beer, I may have to pay more attention .... Here's a breakout of the distances that 464 Bigfoot encounters in NY-WV-PA since 1960 occurred from roads, from inhabited buildings, and from population centers.  I hope this adds something to the discussion on this thread. 

Stats-500-Proximity_zpsfb0a1783.jpg

As with many aspects of this project, I hope to have better metrics, and thus more reliable data in the next version.  

The quality of the information about encounter locations varies widely.  In many reports, particularly older reports, the exact location is given or sufficient information (street address, full name, etc.) is given to identify the encounter location with certainty.  Some encounter location can be identified with a high degree of confidence since a description, such as “the municipal garage east of Mapleville,†can be identified through Google Earth satellite imagery, phone number look-up services, or web searches.  Other reports identify a terrain feature such as a road, lake, or river, but do not specify exactly where along that terrain feature an encounter occurred.  Usually, a reasonable guess is “close enough†to the actual encounter location.  Finally, if the reported encounter location is unusually vague (e.g., a farm near Patton, PA), a generic location in that area can be selected since it will provide generally similar characteristics.  As a last resort, the center-of-mass of the given county or township can be used.

Where a report specified a distance from a road or a building, I used that information.  If not, once an encounter location was mapped in Google Earth, the “ruler†tool was used to measure the distance from the nearest road, building, and population center.  For my purposes, a “population center†was any cluster of at least ten houses.  Obviously, most encounters were near many roads, buildings or neighborhoods.  I tried to consistently use the nearest road, building, and population center and where encounters were roughly equidistant from the target, I averaged the distances.

Obviously it takes the presence of humans and a squatch to have an encounter, but from the data, it might appear that the best chance to have an encounter would be to stand on a road 100 to 400 yards from a building and 1 to 5 miles from a population center. LOL I've done that before with some interesting results, but it's likely skewed by the human behavior element. It's good to know though that you don't have to be lost in the PNW wilderness to have an encounter.

Obviously it takes the presence of humans and a squatch to have an encounter, but from the data, it might appear that the best chance to have an encounter would be to stand on a road 100 to 400 yards from a building and 1 to 5 miles from a population center. LOL I've done that before with some interesting results, but it's likely skewed by the human behavior element. It's good to know though that you don't have to be lost in the PNW wilderness to have an encounter.

That's not exactly what I was getting at.  Obviously, if we expelled a townfull or two of people and forced them to live in the Adirondacks wilderness, we'd likely have more encounters in that wilderness than we now have.  The various charts/numbers I'm running point out a couple things to me:

1) Conventional wisdom on bigfoot = nocturnal, human avoiding creature.  Yet out of 500 sightings, more have occurred in the day than at night.  And this "human avoiding" creature tends to be awfully close to roads, buildings, and large groups of people a lot of the time (in the east).

2) Every different way I break out the data appears more consistent with "people encountering something" than with "people making up a false story."  I believe that if people were making up false stories, there would be hallmarks.  The false stories would usually be very simple, containing only the necessary elements.  The false stories would be very repetitive - every false story would likely track the major elements of every other false story with little variation.  The false stories would be easy to bust up by asking a couple of "off-script" questions or by asking about events in random order (people who memorize a false story usually cannot answer these types of questions w/o tipping off the false story).  

3) Reviewing and thinking about this many reports also makes me cautiously accept that the "something" people are encountering is a big, two-legged ape/man.  Is misidentification possible? Yes, but a large number of reports are at close range, w/a clear field of view, and good light.  Is youthful imagination possible? Yes, but a vast majority of the reports are by adults and w/sufficient indicia of reliability that its doubtful they were imagining anything. Is a flat out lie possible - sure is, and I've marked a couple in the database that appear to be just that.  But its probably less than 20 at this point.

Those who have unequivocally seen a bigfoot don't need this proof.  But given that there is still no body, still no accepted film, still no accepted evidence, and a robust stable of hucksters and charlatans muddying the water, breaking down the eyewitness reports seems to be the only evidence available at this time.  

Edited by Trogluddite

So if I'm reading your chart correctly, it looks like you are more likely to see a bigfoot while driving or glancing out your cabin/country home window.  Wandering around in the woods at night doesn't appear to be a good option - at least in the areas you documented.

Guest Stan Norton

I would think that more sasquatch are seen in daylight and near human habitation because that's when and where most people are. The data are skewed big time.

Yes it is muddy waters trying to interpret the data, we will need to gps a number of subjects to figure them out, how far off

are we from that? Decades at least...Maybe we could pose as aliens and take them on our ship...

So if I'm reading your chart correctly, it looks like you are more likely to see a bigfoot while driving or glancing out your cabin/country home window.  Wandering around in the woods at night doesn't appear to be a good option - at least in the areas you documented.

A fair amount of people are outside doing something, they're just much nearer to a road or home or neighborhood than they realize.  Putting out an OP (observation post) at night might be very beneficial; stumbling around in the darkness probably much less so.  Off the top of my head, I can only think of one encounter by humans (hunters) moving on foot through the woods at night.  The funniest encounter was two guys scavenging, without permission, golf balls at 3:00 AM when bigfoot goes cruising by them across the driving range.  Fun times, fun times .....

Stan N,

If bigfoot were nocturnal and extremely shy about encountering people, I would expect far fewer encounters under those conditions.  Obviously it takes two species to have an encounter; when Bigfoot start a website to log encounters w/humans, I'll be happy to include that data as well.  

I just went out to investigate the marsh area, thought I heard some screams and a whoop in last nights recording about 8 minutes after I made 6 tree knocks, 3 wait 2 minutes then 3. I will post the clip, but you will need headphones, preferably noise canceling. These are a bit far away toward the left side of the stereo recording, a softer scream at 32-33sec, then louder at 35 sec. then a whoop at 59.5 seconds, Obviously you can hear civilization as well. My investigation uncovered a somewhat odd situation, you might want to listen first then view. So the direction I head off in is toward the north east, that is the direction the stereo mic seems to indicate those sounds. I am not convinced of anything as you can probably tell, this was definitely a case for a Parabolic Mic. I could have pointed it at the sounds and bingo, at least I can discern, my hats off to Stan Courtney for all the clips he has accumulated, as well as the quality. The whoop here matches the pitch of Stans bigfoot whoop #1, I matched on the piano. The clips will be in the following post here, may take some time to edit down movie.

Here is the video embed code for my recent investigation,  view the first 12 minutes, skip the middle and go to 37 minute mark.

and you'll see the most interesting discoveries.

www.youtube.com/embed/Rkc9Kc4yLz0

I find quite a bit of evidence suggesting something has been feeding heavily in my marsh, you decide yourself.

If your just interested in the area I am in and how many times I can misdirect the camera and fall over in the

woods trying to film and negotiate the underbrush, which is thick with thorns, please feel free to watch the entirety.

The part where I am walking along the mud piles shows shellfish are available, as well as some classic beer....

I have to mix down the audio of the whoops and howls, they are too long, have them up soon.

Please view last post for the video link

So to recap the above video, I go off looking for any kind of activity, I find a bunch of goose kills, as well as a deer
kill all the remains very much in the same area, causes me to ponder who or what was responsible, I try to show you a basic
overlay of the area, the density of the brush and marsh.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here are some of the most recent recordings, howls and whoop, howls at 32 and 35 sec, whoop at 59.5 will need headphones,
if you need to slide over those times to create a loop, and it will become more obvious  This all occurred 8 minutes after I started the recording, I made 6 tree nocks 3 and 3  2 minutes apart.  I had just gone back inside when this happened.

Moan Howls is perhaps my most interesting recording off all, I go in, you'll here the sound of the closing door, then shortly
after three distant moan howls. I had made several whoops and knocks for about 15 minutes prior.

At this point the activity is about 500-800 yards off to the north east, as I have nothing nearby to hide them, so the sounds
are at that distance, and yes you will hear the civilization droning around me. Sorry that I cannot further isolate the sounds
but I am trying to present them as is, without making you listen to too much dead time.

Because of the distance, and not having a parabolic mic, these are in the background and need to be heard over

noise cancelling headphones, or a least head phones, it will be more apparent if you go over them a few times to

isolate the sounds, any alternatives to what made the sounds are welcome, I am offering them as unidentified

though you obviously know where I am leaning here.

So one thing that sort of stands out to me is that the tonal range of these vocalizations is very much the same,

whether a whoop, a howl/moan howl, all seem to start out really high in the octave range. The fact that they

all seem to be occurring is a similar area is also interesting. Some will ask me why I have not moved the recording device closer to the source, that is because I do not think I could place it without alerting and spooking whatever is in

the area, it is very noisy to walk through a Marsh, much more so in November when everything dries up. So for now I will

continue recording and hoping something comes closer, the whoop my wife heard last week was much closer and could be heard

in a sealed house, so I just need to persist. If there is Squatch activity I am guessing they will be sensitive to any

intrusion into the marsh, so I am trying to let them feel comfortable that humans are not stalking them.

Marsh Investigation Video

Here is the video embed code for my recent investigation,  view the first 15 minutes, skip the middle and go to 37 minute mark.

and you'll see the most interesting discoveries.

www.youtube.com/embed/Rkc9Kc4yLz0

Does anyone see the goose kills being simply coyote, why would they be so concentrated, and do they

not eat bones and all, lots of ribs and wings left, necks and breast missing, I guess an alternative would be that

a hunter dumped them, but there past the tree line and spread out  a bit.  Also what would clear out that

area going into the marsh, there were several areas kind of cleared out marsh going to no where.  I have

barely even heard the coyotes as of late, they are laying very low.  Deer are leaving the area before nightfall

and heading across the street to a safer sleeping area. 

From what I can gather coyotes prey on Geese during the nesting season, not in the fall, and this is to get

the eggs which they cache for later, hmmm wonder who else might do that.  I am sure they would be successful

in some attempts to take adult geese, but this was beyond success this was a slaughter, It seems to me this took

a degree of intelligence.

So I have been listening really close to anything that sounds like geese in my recordings
and I have heard them a ton of times over the last few months, now I find the kills all over
that part of my marsh and I keep hearing some weird sounding geese, listen to this clip.
Goose or whoop? Am I mistaking geese for whoops, I do not think so, or are the whoops just
trying to sound like geese? I just leave it out there, shoot me down, please tell me I am
losing it, feel free, but after finding the dead geese I am searching for an explanation

I had heard something earlier that sounds like three voices doing the goose sound together, like low, high, middle, and they lose cadence,

has anyone heard of doing goose calls with three people?  Maybe it's poachers, but no gun shots!!!

Sorry the clip ends abruptly due to wind distortion, just my luck, I need a windsock real bad!!