Do Bf's Mimic Sounds Other Animals Make?

Guest jsbelljr83

Guest SquatchinNY

Old Dog, the "bull frog" sound I heard was less than 6 feet to my right, the sound was slightly lower than my ear, and according to the witness I was with there no water within that depression, no frogs would have been living there. 

Six feet? I would have a heart attack.

Peacocks aren't even native to north America it would make no sense for Sasquatch to imitate one where would they even learn this at a zoo.

Uh...they roam quite freely in Pennsylvania.

"when you have a collection of objective researchers"

Sorry but I just don't see any truth in that statement.

A group of Bigfoot researchers that did NOT see Bigfoot make these sounds, coming to the conclusion that Bigfoot made these sounds. That's not being objective- it's a common bias. 

It's wishful thinking that manages to transform into what you're calling "the truth" here.

Hold it.

There are plenty of objective researchers who make "hypothesizes". Nathanfooter is a good researcher who makes opinions, as is Painthorse, and Branco, and myself.

Guy from Indiana has got some very impressive Sasquatch recordings.

He shared one with me via PM where one of them very loudly and clearly yells "GET UP" at their campsite in the middle of the night.

It's definitely not a human voice. It's a Sasquatch mimicing a human voice speaking english.  

Maybe? Or it "could" simply be audio matrixing: our hearing and making something tangible out of random sounding vocal tones. Kind'a like that dog video that was popular on the internet a good while back, that really "sounds" like the dog saying "I love you" because of the tone of it's voice, and the articulation of the mouth and jaw, and tongue, while it makes a "Ooooooo" sound. It really sounds like "I love you" when you have someone tell you that it sounds like it. I don't believe for a minute the dog has the capacity to articulate those words, but dang if it doesn't "seem" like it.

Yes, it sounds like "Get up! GET UP!" .. but I don't personally believe he was using or imitating human speech. It just *sounds* like it, considering the rest of that night was pure jiberish.

Well, if we could listen to the recording, and compare it on a spectrogram to a human saying those words, maybe we could quantify the perception in the accoustic signal.

Guest jsbelljr83

He shared one with me via PM where one of them very loudly and clearly yells "GET UP" at their campsite in the middle of the night.

It's definitely not a human voice. It's a Sasquatch mimicing a human voice speaking english.  

That would freak me out big time!!

There are many aspects to sound collection. They are collected to uncover which sounds people are reporting and which makes them think they are hearing a large primate. We objectively listen to these recordings to see if they are known animals, cull out the ones that have few to no matches to known animals. and which sound to our ear, and other witnesses, like a large ape or hominin. Certain recordings do stand up over time as unique. These also inform the searchers what they should investigate further when they hear them. = leads to discovery of primate or known animal that has been fooling people for so long.

The key phrase here - "which makes them think they are hearing a large primate".

As long as you recognize that this is nothing but one big assumption then that's the whole point. You simply cannot equate anything here as being factual.

Can you put your finger on what makes a sound "human voice" and what makes it not?

Maybe this link would help. One answer is in the first six pages and in reference to the relationships between the first three harmonics (formants) when viewed on a spectrogram.

http://www.cog.brown.edu/courses/cg195/pdf_files/fall06/CG195Lieberman.pdf

This is not the point of the discussion. The point is mimicking and coming to factual conclusions based purely on audio recordings.

If I hear a human voice on audio there is no reason to conclude that it's otherwise. It doesn't matter how you try to slice it, it will only result in an assumption. There is nothing there to establish a factual alternate conclusion, so it remains human. The same goes for any animal sound- there is nothing about an audio recording that is going to establish a factual conclusion that it's a Bigfoot mimicking.

The only thing that is going to establish a Bigfoot mimicking an animal voice or otherwise, is a witness to that event.

This is a perfect example of how an assumption transforms into a 'factual' conclusion on this forum.

I'm sure it could just as easily become a mimicking Leprechaun or Fairy given the proper audience.

Guest LarryP

Yes, it sounds like "Get up! GET UP!" .. but I don't personally believe he was using or imitating human speech. It just *sounds* like it, considering the rest of that night was pure jiberish.

Guy, do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese?

Because if you don't, they also sound like gibberish to the untrained ear.

The key phrase here - "which makes them think they are hearing a large primate".

As long as you recognize that this is nothing but one big assumption then that's the whole point. You simply cannot equate anything here as being factual.

This is not the point of the discussion. The point is mimicking and coming to factual conclusions based purely on audio recordings.

If I hear a human voice on audio there is no reason to conclude that it's otherwise. It doesn't matter how you try to slice it, it will only result in an assumption. There is nothing there to establish a factual alternate conclusion, so it remains human. The same goes for any animal sound- there is nothing about an audio recording that is going to establish a factual conclusion that it's a Bigfoot mimicking.

The only thing that is going to establish a Bigfoot mimicking an animal voice or otherwise, is a witness to that event.

This is a perfect example of how an assumption transforms into a 'factual' conclusion on this forum.

I'm sure it could just as easily become a mimicking Leprechaun or Fairy given the proper audience.

You see, at some point a sound has species identity with it. And people who witness it, only become anecdotal to you. So if your interest in bigfoot is only to point this out then you are running in circles, trying to lead people in thinking there is no resolution in sounds, but are all to happy to tell people they are being hoaxed by some person making ape sounds which is somehow obvious in the sounds themselves.

I've now heard Guy's recording, and have no doubt that you would only say it is a human. You would not be able to distinguish the difference between a person yelling the words "get up" and something else making the same sound (which I think is impossible in this case). I'm not concerned about the intent of the sound as a mimic as much as whether it actually sounds like a person or some other animal.

Uh...they roam quite freely in Pennsylvania.

I've heard peacocks in the Massanutten Range in VA.  They are raised in many places near wild country and yep, some range free as well.

Hold it.

There are plenty of objective researchers who make "hypothesizes". Nathanfooter is a good researcher who makes opinions, as is Painthorse, and Branco, and myself.

Scientists make hypotheses all the time.  They seem to have a particular problem with it when it happens here, though.  I think the problem is that almost no scientist makes a hypothesis stemming from anything that isn't proven yet.  That is what scientists are supposed to do; yet it rarely if ever happens.

Iinteresting LarryP, The act of mimicing a human sound like words infers a similar vocal tract arrangement and unlike what is found in the known non-human great apes.

Sunflower, I think I have an example of the bellowing roar that is much like a cow. Will post when I get the chance.

Thanks, I'd like to listen.  The sound we heard was a regular type "moo" and then a distressed type moo, like "mmmooOOOOOOOOO"  then immediately this roar that was so loud it was felt as well as heard. 

Hubby still hates to talk about it.....it was very disconcerting.  We didn't talk all the way home????

BTW, I've had plenty of cows and it was just different than what I've experienced.  Even my full grown bulls could not have reached the intensity of what we heard that day.

Edited by Sunflower

Guy, do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese?

Because if you don't, they also sound like gibberish to the untrained ear.

Nope. But I LOVE me some garlic chicken or kung pow chicken. ;-) 

I'm make you a deal. Find someone who does speak either or both of those, whether they believe in bigfoot or not, and I'll share a bunch of those with them and let them see if they can pick anything of substance out of it. No harm in doing that.

You see, at some point a sound has species identity with it. And people who witness it, only become anecdotal to you. So if your interest in bigfoot is only to point this out then you are running in circles, trying to lead people in thinking there is no resolution in sounds, but are all to happy to tell people they are being hoaxed by some person making ape sounds which is somehow obvious in the sounds themselves.

I've now heard Guy's recording, and have no doubt that you would only say it is a human. You would not be able to distinguish the difference between a person yelling the words "get up" and something else making the same sound (which I think is impossible in this case). I'm not concerned about the intent of the sound as a mimic as much as whether it actually sounds like a person or some other animal.

At some point you're going to have to realize this isn't about me or you. Why you're always so concerned about the way I feel is mind boggling.

The logic used is pretty simple- if it sounds like a person then it probably is. If it sounds like a fox or coyote it probably is. Occam's Razor. Nothing definitive is going to come from audio, that's why when I believe a person is hoaxing it's not solely based on audio. You also can't positively conclude from audio that it's a Bigfoot mimicking because you can't see what's making the noise.

This debate is about whether Bigfoot can mimic other animals, and it's about the claims made in this thread that Bigfoot DOES mimic- aka unsubstantiated claims. You can believe all you want that a group of people are going to come to some kind of factual conclusion of Bigfoot mimicking based on audio recordings and Bigfoot being in the area, but it's not going to happen. You cannot rule out that there are other animals in the area and making these noises because you simply do not know. It doesn't even rise to the level of an anecdotal claim.

Edited by roguefooter

The logic used is pretty simple- if it sounds like a person then it probably is. If it sounds like a fox or coyote it probably is. Occam's Razor. Nothing definitive is going to come from audio, that's why when I believe a person is hoaxing it's not solely based on audio. You also can't positively conclude from audio that it's a Bigfoot mimicking because you can't see what's making the noise.

And when you hear a large primate making a call like a giant crow it probably is right? Occam;s Razor right?

This debate is about whether Bigfoot can mimic other animals, and it's about the claims made in this thread that Bigfoot DOES mimic- You cannot rule out that there are other animals in the area and making these noises because you simply do not know. 

I'd say you do know when you hear a hominin , because you hear them everyday, so if bigfoot is a hominin, then I'd say mimicry is inevitable, since hominins use words and language which requires mimicry as part of mastering pronunciation. You can know you are hearing a hominin and know it's similarity to known animal calls. Whether one calls it as being from a bigfoot you can take issues with if you want.

Guest Urkelbot

Is there even some standard for any Bigfoot vocals? Something that all potential Bigfoots vocals are compared against to seperate the wheat from the chaff.