Do Bf's Mimic Sounds Other Animals Make?

Guest jsbelljr83

Guest thermalman

To answer the OP's question, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck! Until that is, someone actually sees and video records a live squatch doing the mimicking, (besides TJ aka: sasquatch Ontario).

Edited by thermalman

Guest jsbelljr83

Sasfooty, thanks for sharing that mwave file, the croak I heard was very deep, maybe lasted a second or slightly longer. 

And just to make myself clear, I am not saying what we heard on the first night was a BF mimicking the dogs, same thing with the second night with the bull frog.  I didn't physically see a BF making those sounds, as far as the bull frog croak, until I can get back to PA and the same site and hear the same sound again, and confirm that there is no water nor any bull frogs, I will have to chalk that sound up to unknown. 

On at least two occasions this past spring, something (you decide) mimicked my dogs' barks so well that I went to the door to let them in only to discover they were all taking a nap in my den. All three have distinctive barks....the Boxer sounds like almost no other dog because we have suspicions (she is a rescue) that someone tried to de-bark her. :( This happened to me twice and hubby once....so...say whatever, we both have been fooled by assuming our dogs were out when they were inside. While I can't say 100% what mimicked them, I can say 100% that they weren't barking since I was looking right at them. So yes, they can mimc dog barks. :)

Guest jsbelljr83

On at least two occasions this past spring, something (you decide) mimicked my dogs' barks so well that I went to the door to let them in only to discover they were all taking a nap in my den. All three have distinctive barks....the Boxer sounds like almost no other dog because we have suspicions (she is a rescue) that someone tried to de-bark her. :( This happened to me twice and hubby once....so...say whatever, we both have been fooled by assuming our dogs were out when they were inside. While I can't say 100% what mimicked them, I can say 100% that they weren't barking since I was looking right at them. So yes, they can mimc dog barks. :)

Did you hear three distinct sets of dog barks or just one? 

Good question.....had to think for a minute. Three distinct sets of dog barks.....about five seconds apart. Just a bark or two a piece. Just exactly like they would sound if they had been at the back door barking to be let in. Hubby only heard the Lab, he thought he had left the Lab outside and started to get out of his chair to let him in, and I pointed out to him that the Lab was laying behind his chair asleep. It was around 2 or 3 sharp barks, I heard it too ...... hubby was a bit stunned. It was the first time he heard it.

They do some awesome cat meows as well.................lol

And yes they can speak words like - Mom, and your children's names at times, frogs in the freezing cold wintertime LOL, birds who should be roosting at nite?? and along with grunts like a deer, growling like a big dog, etc.

Car sirens mimics are priceless lol and even machinery sounds which had been reported a few times. The howl that I recorded and lost sounded like a huge wolf except that where I was at the time and recorded has no wolves. 

While I can't say 100% what mimicked them, I can say 100% that they weren't barking since I was looking right at them. So yes, they can mimc dog barks. :)

Do you not see a great dichotomy between saying you can't say what made them, but 'yes', BF can mimic dogs? The anecdotal evidence you offer is an experience you had, can't explain, but then rationalize that it was BF. <?> No, you don't say it. You said:

So yes, they can mimic dog barks.

The direct inference is there.

Here's one that was about 50' from the house, hiding behind the chicken pen, with his bird friend not far away. This was recorded at 1:20 am. and, yes, I realize that birds sometime sing at night, but they aren't usually accompanied by a bullfrog that is nowhere near water.

Frog.Bird.wav

Guest JiggyPotamus

The fact that the sound seemed to come from off of the ground is not very significant, since the ability of humans to determine where a sound originated can easily be in error. One can swear they heard one thing, while someone in a different location will swear to something else. I have experienced this many, many times myself in various places and contexts. So the most likely explanation in that case is that you heard a frog. There are many more frogs than sasquatch out there.

And the likelihood that the barking you heard was from dogs is also high, since the majority of the time when a bark sounds like it came from a dog, it probably did. The clapping sound obviously is not distinctive to any animal out there, but without having heard the sound, it is impossible to know whether it was natural, whether it came from some animal or a human, etc...

But you are correct in that sasquatch likely mimic other animals. There is eyewitness evidence to suggest this is the case, and it makes sense for such an animal. Surely sasquatch possess enough intelligence to realize that mimicry is beneficial in a situation where the wish to signal to another sasquatch, but do not wish to draw attention to themselves. And besides the cases where mimicry was either witnessed, or a sasquatch was witnessed in conjunction with other animal sounds, there are the many cases of animal sounds that simply "don't sound right." It is at least possible that the explanation for these sounds is that the sasquatch attempting to mimic another animal is not very good at it. Like I said, there is enough evidence available in the form of eyewitness testimony to at least hypothesize that this may be the case. It is a working hypothesis and it is possible that such knowledge will aid some researchers in the field. For instance, some people may not pay attention to certain sounds they hear, when doing so could help them to capture evidence by focusing their attention on the sound. But at the other extreme, some people might hear sasquatch in EVERY animal sound, which is simply ridiculous. 9 times out of 10, it will not be a sasquatch.

Guest thermalman

Also, the bull frog croak I heard was the only one we heard all night, and we stayed at the same spot for 3+ hrs.

Frogs and crickets are nature's alarm systems at night. If they stop their racket, then there is something larger lurking around in the area. Edited by thermalman

Guest jsbelljr83

Frogs and crickets are nature's alarm systems at night. If they stop their racket, then there is something larger lurking around in the area.

But if there were bull frogs in that depression they would have eventually started to croak again.