Do Bf's Mimic Sounds Other Animals Make?

Guest jsbelljr83

I think humanoid calls can sound like canids and owls to some people even when it's not a deliberate mimic. Some people just say " that had to be a coyote" or maybe the neighbor, because some other primate is not even in the realm of possibility of being out there making that sound in those woods at that time of night.

Example:

This call has been played for a group of witnesses in east Texas. They swear they've heard it many times, but thought it was the neighbor calling his cows.

East TX. woooo vocal.wav

Based on my own experiences , I feel that they can and do mimic owls, coyotes and humans { most of the time badly }.

But I might add that is has not been common and a vast amount of the time it is a real owl or yote making the racket, it has only been in a few unique instances have I heard the stranger mimics/ mixed calls.

Just my two cents.

Yes, they very often make sounds somewhat similar to those made by coyotes. I have taken dozens of people into the mountains at night just to listen. Typically - if we were within hearing range -, just a few minutes before "black dark", a BF from one of the two groups that lived and foraged in the general area, would make a loud, long, wailing howl. Immediately afterwards, a pack of coyotes would start a frantic chorus of yelping, squealing and howling. The first howl and the coyote sounds always came from separate locations several hundred yards apart.

My "tourists" - like many others that have heard recordings of the exact same sounds - were quick to assume the first howl was made a coy-dog, wolf or wolf/coyote hybrid. Of course they were wrong, but that was immaterial. In several such instances, the "tourists" later heard the BF yelling, shouting and.or whooping at much closer ranges, and decided it was getting late and they needed to get back to their homes or motels. I didn't ask if they had put one and two together; I really didn't care.

They scream like a woman in pain or distress or like a young girl that just saw a snake or rat, like a bull bellowing, huffing and grunting like an ape, etc. One of the most common sounds they imitate is that of the barred owl's single hoot or "who-cooks-for-you" call. No, I have not seen them make those calls, but when the owl calls are going on in two or three different places within fifty yards of you, and all are coming from near ground level in an old growth forest of oaks, I, or anyone else can be pretty sure owls weren't involved.

One other thing for those that may not know but who might want to know. (I have never seen this mentioned before.) In four different areas where I spend most of my free time now - two in the Ouachitas and two in the river bottoms - there are several Bigfoot that inhabit those places. From the river itself, there are homes within a "crow" mile or two, and some closer. There is a heavily used RR that passes along the west side. There is also a lot of air traffic over both locations. I began noticing many years ago that from dark to about midnight the Bigfoot usually did few long vocalizations except when a jet was passing overhead or when one of the numerous trains were passing. That has happened so many times that I am convinced they use the sounds of planes and trains to "camouflage" their sounds from residents or campers. (After midnight - and especially from 2 a.m. to daylight - they don't give a flip about who hears them. As I and many others witnesses know, 2 a.m. seems to be their witching hour. Anything goes then.)

Edited by Branco

Guest TexasTracker

"Peacocks calls" are associated with two known, ongoing areas of activity in Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure they can imitate many natural animal calls. 

One of Branco's good friends and I did some camping last year not too far from Mena, Arkansas. They came in from exactly the directions he said they would... and the "Barred owls" began calling from those specific directions just as he had predicted. After a while, one of the "barred owls" had developed so much bass in it's call, it was hardly recognizable anymore. We just smiled and kept on going. 

The next day, I did see one of the strongest limb twists I've ever seen. It was done to a hard wood tree about 7-8 inches in diameter and about 6 feet up the tree. The twist was very fresh. There were absolutely no other trees damaged in the area...(not storm damage)...

CG

@Texastracker,  I'm just west of Mena and border the Ouachita national forest. Have not heard the peacock calls but have heard what sounds like elk bugling coming from the direction of Rich Mountain. Also what Branco mentioned above with an initial vocal followed by the coyotes.

We own wolves, one just passed recently but my husband was woke by an unfamiliar bark coming from the direction of the wolf pen and the wolves started going nuts. My husband witnessed a large black bipedal figure standing just on the outside of the pen. My husband did not see it make the noise but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the bark didn't come from our wolves.

I am attaching a vocal that I recorded back in February of I think 2011. The first shrill sound is of what I believe is one of the young roosters and is immediately followed by the vocal. Recorder was set next to the wolf pen facing the valley. I've heard that same vocal 2 or 3 times before I captured it on the recorder and it echoes unlike a coyote or the wolves.

https://soundcloud.com/painthorse1/shortvocal

Edited by Painthorse

Wow, fun thread. Great opening post. Thanks for those great recordings, Sasfooty, SouthernYahoo, and Painthorse. Also enjoyed listening to the known ape calls (which don't much resemble BF recordings I've heard, but are pretty interesting in their own right). Branco and Sunflower, we'd be lost around here without your expertise! 

Fun thread.  :)

Occasionally I'll see them turn their eyeball lights on and run up the road making car noises.

Anyone else have this happen so I can verify it was Bigfoot?

Edited by roguefooter
  • Upvote 1

Paint,

Love that recording, my howl (recorder blew up) had more base and went on just a little bit longer.  Yours is definitely not a coyote.  Thanks for sharing.

Wow, fun thread. Great opening post. Thanks for those great recordings, Sasfooty, SouthernYahoo, and Painthorse. Also enjoyed listening to the known ape calls (which don't much resemble BF recordings I've heard, but are pretty interesting in their own right). Branco and Sunflower, we'd be lost around here without your expertise! 

Fun thread.   :)

LT,

Thanks and I must agree with you about the ape recordings.

Occasionally I'll see them turn their eyeball lights on and run up the road making car noises.

Anyone else have this happen so I can verify it was Bigfoot?

All the time rogue.  If you are lucky you will hear them mimic a honking and tired screeching.

In all seriousness though.  If you think you hear a BF in the distance mimicing a dog - chances are its a dog.  How many people are seriously looking for BF 300 yards away from an industrial complex?

Yo, Sun! Dont'cha know it's always gotta be something else, lol.

Soo, again, some people just don't understand that the people who live in these types of environments know what native animals sound like. It's the same ole same ole and will continue to be that way, JMO.