You Don't Really Want To Have An Encounter Do You?

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

First of all IMO they are not the same. A sighting to me is a glimps of one of the big guys as he crosses the road or path in front of you and he's gone. An encounter is when your are much closer and can last longer and so do the after effects i might add!

Here's some links to reports below where you can almost feel how scared these witnesses were . Courtessy of AS, they got a nice site over there and BFRO. Hey thanks for all your hard work guys. ;)

Peeping Sasq

http://albertasasquatch.com/Reports_Rochester_1970.html

Camp visiter.

http://albertasasquatch.com/Reports_BrazeauRiver_1996.html

Scared hitchhiker

http://albertasasquatch.com/Reports_Jasper_1999.html

Here's a couple more. camp visiter and a scared home owner.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=18623

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=28230

Okay alot of encounters come off better than these but still leave a lasting impression to say the least. So why would the average joe really want an encounter. Don't you really want just a sighting at a safer distance during the day instead? Romantic is the term I guess for this type. Think about it . :unsure:

JMO tracker. dry.gif

BFF Patron

Well I would have preferred my encounter to have happened in daylight, then again it probably wouldn't have been an encounter then it would have been a sighting.

I wanted the encounter because I had spent months to a year connecting the dots to understand that I had a chance for an encounter.

Yea, I'd like a sighting someday far from home, preferably a road crossing so there is nice metal jeep around me. If it has to be with me on foot, hopefully with having a means of a quick exit should things turn to the sour.

Yea, I'd like a sighting someday far from home, preferably a road crossing so there is nice metal jeep around me. If it has to be with me on foot, hopefully with having a means of a quick exit should things turn to the sour.

Hopefully this reply works right. Read my encounter story in the sightings page if you like.

I think I'm glad it happened, but it came at a cost. I wish I had the courage to really do something about it, now that I know what I know.

Sure, but would prefer a close range encounter to be when I'm hunting something else and chosen to take my 338 Mag that day. Would I shoot? probably not if the monkee stayed in neutral. If it showed aggression?, well the 338 mag was devised specifically to put the skids on the biggest & most dangerous game in North America. We might well get some questions answered if that unlikely day ever came...

I have long held the position that we humans are genetically imprinted to fear large predators, even if we have never encountered them in our largely urban existence. The idiots that don't have been getting culled out for as long as we have been around. Google "Timothy Treadwell" if you want to see an example of a large predator/human cull candidate story.

The people who have been scared spitless by a close up encounter with a monkee are just showing good natural survival instinct, IMO...

Edited by NDT

BFF Patron

By the way, they ALL aren't LARGE.

Guest Lesmore

I would rather admire from afar.

But one encounter that seems to have a fair amount of credibility, apparently took place in Manitoba seems to have been rather benign.

Back in the 40's a young man was picking wild berries in a wilderness area (plenty of them here) and he came to the slow realization that a BF was doing the same thing in an adjoining berry patch....not 100 yards (approx.) away.

He (young man, not BF) had come a farm wagon drawn by a farm horse. I only mention this as the farm horse did not seem to be troubled by the BF.

Horses are notoriously skittish in situations they judge to be dangerous....but apparently this horse didn't seem to be bothered.

Does this mean anything ? I don't know, but given that the BF was eating berries and the horse wasn't bothered by a large animal in close proximity....some may assume that therefore the horse didn't judge the BF to be a potential predator.

Well, interesting story but what's it got to do with the focus of this thread "...You Don't Really Want To Have An Encounter Do You?"

Maybe if BF exists....it is a placid plant eater...a beast that wishes nothing more than to benignly....peacefully.... observe the universe unfolding as it should....

The young man indicated that he, had a powerful WW 1 era surplus Canadian Army rifle in his wagon....but he just picked berries for a couple of hours, made no aggressive moves toward the BF....and the BF did the same. It's not known if this BF had a similar weapon..a Lee Enfield .303 at the ready. I'm assuming not.

Ahh... Peaceful coexistence....isn't that an ideal we all aspire towards ?

Edited by Lesmore

First of all IMO they are not the same. A sighting to me is a glimps of one of the big guys as he crosses the road or path in front of you and he's gone. An encounter is when your are much closer and can last longer and so do the after effects i might add!

Good focus on vocabulary. I'll add a term:

Observation.

Hunting above tree line or in tundra/plains sometimes offers the opportunity for long observations of animals with optical assistance, like binoculars or spotting scopes. I've been fortunate to be able to observe Dall sheep, brown bears, black bears, caribou, wolves, and moose in such a way, not to mention lots of smaller game like foxes, eagles, marmots, coyotes, etc. IMO, this beats quick sightings. One has the opportunity to see the animal behave naturally and for long periods of time.

Encounters are, indeed, a very different type of interaction, but I've enjoyed many encounters with all the above mentioned species, even with potentially dangerous game like brown and black bears. "Close ups" offer a thrilling interaction, but one must be willing and prepared to defend oneself if the encounter turns ugly.

I've never purposely tried to create an "encounter" unless I was actually hunting that animal. I prefer to keep interactions safe for both me and the animal.

With all that written, it appears that observations of sasquatches are rare interactions. Most reports are of the encounter or sighting variety, although a few are longer term observations. My favorite of those was the Glen Thomas observation of the three sasquatches digging through huge rocks for hibernating ground squirrels.

Guest TooRisky

Well for me I have one up close sighting at night in my high beams, and one glimps sighting in day light ... I am now looking forward to an extended up close encounter as my 3rd experience with (I can only dream) some sort of interaction...

Then I can retire to that rocking chair and die a happy fulfilled man... Till then, beat the bush till the bush beats back... LOL

Guest tracker

Good focus on vocabulary. I'll add a term:

Observation.

Hunting above tree line or in tundra/plains sometimes offers the opportunity for long observations of animals with optical assistance, like binoculars or spotting scopes. I've been fortunate to be able to observe Dall sheep, brown bears, black bears, caribou, wolves, and moose in such a way, not to mention lots of smaller game like foxes, eagles, marmots, coyotes, etc. IMO, this beats quick sightings. One has the opportunity to see the animal behave naturally and for long periods of time.

With all that written, it appears that observations of sasquatches are rare interactions. Most reports are of the encounter or sighting variety, although a few are longer term observations. My favorite of those was the Glen Thomas observation of the three sasquatches digging through huge rocks for hibernating ground squirrels.

Yea for sure huntster, observing them unoticed is the rarest type of report. That's my goal. observe or even close in on or follow one unoticed. find their den. then film or bring back some great evidence like a skull that no one ever dream was possible or something like that? dry.gif

Also just wanted you to know i liked that Thomas report. I've never come across large trenches and multiple large rock piles as mentioned. Very interesting info and usefull too, I'll remember it.

Edited by tracker

Admin

That is why I go searching in the night, as well as the day. For that sighting, and if I'm lucky, an encounter. I'm not to concerned about aggressive behavior on the part of Bigfoot. I am always ready with camera for a quick shot. I even practice taking quick shots, for such an occasion. You have no idea how bad I want to see Bigfoot with my own eyes.

Guest Bigfoot Proof

Well for me I have one up close sighting at night in my high beams, and one glimps sighting in day light ... I am now looking forward to an extended up close encounter as my 3rd experience with (I can only dream) some sort of interaction...

Then I can retire to that rocking chair and die a happy fulfilled man... Till then, beat the bush till the bush beats back... LOL

Good for you, we know they just try to intimidate unwanted guests, I would bet they will not harm us unless we tried to do something to them. If all bets are off sit on the ground and start crying, it should illicit compassion :)

Those who make snide monkey ape remarks, :(

Well I would have preferred my encounter to have happened in daylight, then again it probably wouldn't have been an encounter then it would have been a sighting.

I wanted the encounter because I had spent months to a year connecting the dots to understand that I had a chance for an encounter.

Were you able to get pictures, and any evidence of them?

That is *so* exciting! Where did this occur? What state, what time of day, any and all info is appreciated.

Wow, You worked hard for your experience.

I'm am so impressed with your ingenuity.

Good Job!!

Guest Lesmore

Good for you, we know they just try to intimidate unwanted guests,How do we know that for a fact ? This is not a snide, monkey ape remark, just a question. I would bet they will not harm us unless we tried to do something to them. If all bets are off sit on the ground and start crying, it should illicit compassion :)

Those who make snide monkey ape remarks, :(