You Don't Really Want To Have An Encounter Do You?

Guest tracker

The thing with cougars, is that once you put up a fight for about 15 seconds, it will take off.

Uhm, NO, -maybe, probably not.

When cougars attack humans sometimes its because they can't catch their normal game. You need to have neck-protection BEFORE you are attacked. Cougars take down deer, you are super easy to take down.

You need a knife available, stab it in the eye, maybe it will let go. Disinfect bit marks IMMEDIATELY. In other words, you are READY for a possible attack (always wear a backpack that protects your neck in cougar country) and you have a GOOD knife ready, and hydrogen peroxide,etc for disinfection as much as possible, hospital immediately for wound cleansing, reconstructive surgery.

cougars very rarely go for full grown men who aren't handicapped in some way. the ones that do are often small and undernourished. most fatalities are women or children.

the first thing a cougar wants to do when it attacks is break your jaw. the second thing it wants to do is bite your neck. 

my cougar encounter involved us simultaneously realizing one another's presence. I had the advantage of higher ground, about 90 feet above it. when it didn't spook and assumed a stalking stance, I rained about 5 grapefruit sized rocks at it while yelling and it bolted. it was easily a 180 pound cat - it looked like something out of a zoo. i was pretty calm throughout (whole thing lasted 15 seconds), but was a mess the rest of the day once it all sunk in.

now, imagine a 7 foot 400 pound creature you never knew existed except in legend. I imagine most people that have a close encounter with any hint of aggression end up suffering serious after effects - PTSD and the like ...

I have had enough encounters to one degree or another.  I never looked for it, or asked for it.  It happened and I believe what I believe.

I would however like to have my husband have an encounter, so I am not the only one.

All good things in all good time.

Be careful what you wish for. 

I didn't wish this, or know anything much about it, and it blew into my life going on 10 months now.

"More than I ever wanted, more than I ever needed."