Possibility Of Large Bones Being Found In North America

Guest JiggyPotamus

Ok, so what would be BLM's interest in large human bones? Are they also hiding them? Or do they have plans to finally reveal them to the public?

The BLM would have no interest in revealing the large bones.

Interesting the BLM was brought up in this conversation. I've a buddy that has had a couple interesting experiences w/em after he went to the office in Grant's Pass, OR to report his sighting.  (the sighting, which lasted off and on for several hours during the night and into morning).

Do NOT contact the BLM if you have any BF evidence.

As far as big bones being found.  Didn't someone post a link showing the Smithsonian has admitted there were large bones found, but they could not be removed from the earth as they crumbled????  I agree - no evidence of large bones being found is not an accurate statement.

The BLM collects cultural and natural history artifacts and has its own set of museum collections.  As you can imagine, they've got a lot more stuff than they display publicly.  Since they have the mission to collect and preserve such heritage, they also have the authority to show up at your door and say:  "We heard you found....  It belongs to the American people.  We're responsible for preserving it for everybody.  We'll take it now."  They're like the Smithsonian, but with teeth.

If one national museum has a given policy, it stands to reason that another national agency with overlapping responsibilities would have consistent policies.

On their website they say that they work with 155 different local museums to display artifacts.  Interesting that they collected the remains from the Mark Twain Museum, rather than working out a cooperative arrangement.

I have read many accounts of large bones being found !  Not sure how anyone can say they don't exist. Look at the long list that Jiggy made in the OP. Darrell, are you saying that all of those are hoaxes? There's too many...going back to far.

I am going to offer a theory of sorts here. I am not going to divulge who the players are as it directly affects me and what I do for a living. I can only say even at the local level. There have been places where artifacts have been found. I do not mean giant bones, or hairs from a hominid or anything. I am just talking about artifacts from previous cultures who inhabited the area. I know when this stuff comes up it is hushed quickly. Mainly if it is not on private land. That is key at least here in the examples I personally know of. There is plans for a lot of this land and what it is to be used for, and if knowlege of artifacts got out then you have a lot of bureaucratic stuff that happens that delays or can even put a stop to said plans of non private land. I can only imagine what would happen if giant bones, and/or hominid items were to be found.

I can only imagine what happens at the BLM level.

Edited by Serohs

No conspiracy required.  Read that, right?  Just people wanting to get their work done, just about, come to think of it, the most effective substitute for a conspiracy one would find.  Anyone who's failed to run into that...well, I'd just have to wonder.

It doesn't do the skeptical case much good to insist that reality not be brought into the discussion.

Surely the Smithsonian's own journals from the latter 19th c. are a fairly credible source? At that point they fessed up to having such relics. I seem to recall somewhere reading that they had a program that lasted until the 1940's or 1950's where they paid farmers and such for any giant skeletons they turned up. Does anyone else recall or know anything about this?

Not necissarily speaking of conspiracy. At least not at a local level. Money talks is pretty much what it is. Heck it doesn't have to be even artifacts. Around here if a rare, or threatened species is found on some land that is to be developed for the most part you can agree to pay the people who are supposed to be protecting the species a specific dollar amount per specimen known or observed in the area and get back to your bulldozing.

If you find an arrowhead anywhere, it is now technically illegal to take it, though there was a time when it was not.  Growing up in Nevada, we spent many afternoons and weekends exploring old Indian sites, mining sites, ghost towns, and pioneer trails.  Found a lot of cool stuff, though the ghost towns and mines, being more obvious, had long since been picked over.  Several times we found '49er trash dumps containing old bottles (some once valuable) that cretins had recently used for target practice.

On one occasion we found a mummified Indian whose remains were eroding out of the wall of a wash within just a few miles of our home.  We left these be, but had we found a large jaw, skull, or other bone lying around loose, we'd have collected it.  It was common practice to pick such things up and that practice dated back to the mid 1800's.  It would surprise me greatly if most of the larger bones from the Lovelock find were not appropriated by individuals shortly after they were found.  I've written about one such skull that the son of a famous uranium miner was using as an ashtray at parties in the late 60's.  Any bones from Lovelock formally analyzed at a later date would have been the leavings, not considered souvenir-worthy by those who found them or their immediate contacts.

In fact, it is somewhat amusing that the latter-day researcher, who examined the Lovelock finds, acknowledges that much of the find had been misappropriated, but failed to consider, at least in writing, that he was examining the leavings that weren't interesting enough to misappropriate.

Do NOT contact the BLM if you have any BF evidence.

Why?

Since they have the mission to collect and preserve such heritage, they also have the authority to show up at your door and say:  "We heard you found....  It belongs to the American people.  We're responsible for preserving it for everybody.  We'll take it now."  They're like the Smithsonian, but with teeth.

Can you say...."Communism"?????

Surely the Smithsonian's own journals from the latter 19th c. are a fairly credible source? At that point they fessed up to having such relics. I seem to recall somewhere reading that they had a program that lasted until the 1940's or 1950's where they paid farmers and such for any giant skeletons they turned up. Does anyone else recall or know anything about this?

I'm guessing that was a tactic for getting them out of the hands of the people.

Look, the common denominator here seems to be that for some reason there is a force that insists we not know about giant skeletons. I can only imagine that the truth would challenge the status quo, and THEY just don't want that.

@ JDL, I've never heard it was illegal to keep an arrowhead. In fact, I was at a flea market a couple weeks ago and a vendor had a cigar box sized basket full of them at like $1 each. But then again, arrowheads don't pose any challenge to the way history has been rendered per the status quo.

Just checked.  Federally illegal to pick up arrowheads on public land or on Native American lands.  Ok on private land.  Same for other types of artifacts in general.  There may be regulations involving certain types of finds on private land also, and the federal government can always find a way to take something that they want.  Usually with the land-owner's cooperation, but not always.

Point in case:  the policies that Serohs has referenced.  You find something of historical and archeological significance, you're supposed to shut down development until the find can be properly examined.  They'll slap an injunction on you at lightning speed at the behest of special interest groups, and then process it at a glacial pace, putting you out of business without consideration.

Edited by JDL