Boulders In Trees

Guest JiggyPotamus

Must depend on the species of tree then cuz my grandfather nailed a light fixture 7' up to a tree when I was very small, today it is 18' up in the tree and the height difference snapped the supply line long ago

^I'd like to see a pic of that.

I found this on a quick search:

"Trees grow in height as a result of meristems that are located at their branch tips.  These meristems are called apical meristems.  Roots also expand through the soil by growing at their tips as a result of apical meristems.  All buds that you see on a tree contain apical meristems. Trunk diameter growth occurs as a result of another meristem already mentioned called the vascular cambium.  The vascular cambium produces new xylem and phloem each year and as a result the trunk, branches and roots continue to increase in diameter.  Have you ever seen a fence wire or board grown into a tree?

board.jpgThat is the result of the vascular cambium.  The fence wire or board doesn't rise into the air because height growth doesn't occur out of the ground, it only occurs from the branch tips.

Yep, trees grow from the tips.  Sorry Aaron, all trees are the same.  Geeze, now I gotta be a light fixture skeptic too...  Please don't start habituating light fixtures Aaron, please...

t.