Why Don't They Kill Us?

There is another point of view that concerns me in a few of the missing person incidents I've followed that are suspicious in nature, is that if a rogue Sas was responsible, it soon becomes a loving human family member who gets blamed and run through the legal system as lead suspect. Law enforcement would never consider bigfoot as a plausible explanation when someone comes up missing, so its usually the person closest who becomes the prime suspect as family members begin raising suspicions, all because they had a few recent arguments. Pieces seemingly begin falling together. A nightmare for everyone.

Guest Blackdog

There was never any proof these women were all prostitutes and hitchhikers. IMHO anytime non-white women have bad things happen to them they often get accused of being prostitutes because the authorities really don't care what happens to them & they want an excuse not to have to look. There is no public outcry. You see this often too where children go missing and if they are non-white very often you will not hear about it on the local news. I think its improbable the vanishing Native women were prostitutes are its not a popular occupation among Native women. I've heard of this before where thousands of Native women have vanished from all over US and Canada, not just on that stretch of highway and no one has any answers as to how or why. Perhaps it is a serial killer who hates Native women, maybe because one did him wrong. But really no one knows and no one investigates this.

Did you miss the part where I said I didn't want to discuss it?

OK fine.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how you can differentiate between dead white girls and dead non-white girls.

I Googled the Highway of Tears and I got pages and pages of compassion and pain. Never once did I read anything about white girls vs. non-white girls. Why you thought it was necessary to bring that up shows your racism, not mine. There is plenty of public outcry and plenty of pain.

For you to blame bigfoot is fantastical and absurd. There are actual human killers out there and you marginalizing their killings by blaming it on your fantasies reduces their actual deaths to fairy tales and fantasies and I think you should be ashamed.

There is another point of view that concerns me in a few of the missing person incidents I've followed that are suspicious in nature, is that if a rogue Sas was responsible, it soon becomes a loving human family member who gets blamed and run through the legal system as lead suspect. Law enforcement would never consider bigfoot as a plausible explanation when someone comes up missing, so its usually the person closest who becomes the prime suspect as family members begin raising suspicions, all because they had a few recent arguments. Pieces seemingly begin falling together. A nightmare for everyone.

A rogue Sas?

You know PT, up until that post you had me as a reasonable individual.

But you and others with a like mind are scaring naive people like SusiQ2 out of their underpants and keeping them from enjoying the outdoors.

Like I said... pet peeve. And not unfounded as far as I'm concerned.

Said fears have been around a lot longer then my raising them Blackdog, as evidenced by those NA stories. Don't shoot the messenger okay. I also have my own reasons for believing such things do happen on rare occasion too, but they aren't situations I'd discuss openly either.

Still, it shouldn't stop people from enjoying the outdoors, just as the possibility of the extremely rare bear or cougar attack shouldn't. When we talk about these events, everyone should keep in mind that they may be a few events spread across the country which are compressed into a few paragraphs. If certain tribes believed that such things have happened, who are we to say it hasn't? And even if it has, I still personally believe that the vast majority of Sasquatch are entirely benevolent in nature.

Not to hijack my own thread, but you speak of how LE works and how we go about conducting investigations with the certainty of one who gained their knowledge & vast expertise watching cop shows on TV...

Not to hijack my own thread, but you speak of how LE works and how we go about conducting investigations with the certainty of one who gained their knowledge & vast expertise watching cop shows on TV...

Its hardly any leap in knowledge to know from watching news stories alone, that its first a family member/spouse who investigators look at first as probable suspects. Happens all the time. I'm sure any LEO on this board can corroborate that.

I've however followed a few missing person's reports more closely in my state where the individual disappeared w/o a trace and only a short distance from a family member. Up in the mtns with no sign of other people nearby. Won't name names. In one I did see aerial footage on the news of what officials claimed were bear tracks in the snow, but no way from what I saw. Especially when the bears were already hibernated in that region. This incident however the family member was not blamed and rightfully so. But I think it does happen on rare occasion even though its not comfortable to discuss for some.

And when the day comes that Sasquatch are proven to exist, they too will then be entered the equation of possible suspects for missing persons. What then?

Edited by PragmaticTheorist

Guest Tsalagi

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how you can differentiate between dead white girls and dead non-white girls.

I Googled the Highway of Tears and I got pages and pages of compassion and pain. Never once did I read anything about white girls vs. non-white girls. Why you thought it was necessary to bring that up shows your racism, not mine. There is plenty of public outcry and plenty of pain.

There is not plenty of public outcry, very few people in North America know about the vanishing Native American & First Nations women. I didn't say Bigfoot was the culprit, but something is going on and no one cares because they are non-white women. MWWS or Missing White Woman Syndrome is documented and has nothing to do with my being racist. MWWS has its affect on missing males too. Its amazing if you look through websites with pics of missing kids for instance it is honestly true you will see boys and dark skin or ethnic girls you never heard about on tv yet they had very strange disappearances, yet the pretty white blonde girl will get national attention because she is deemed important. For the record I am half white, half Native American so I have grown up seeing first hand both sides of the coin. Its a fact that non-white women get accused of prostitution, but you of course brought up the idea that the many, many Native women who have vanished were just a bunch of prostitutes when in fact relatively few women of all races are prostitutes and certainly it is not a common occupation among Native women. And even if they were prostitutes why is it ok that they vanish and no one investigates?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

http://www.thirdreport.com/third-report.asp?storyid=32

http://blog.hawaii.edu/neojourno/2010/05/05/if-you%E2%80%99re-missing-it%E2%80%99s-better-to-be-white/

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper.360/blog/2006/03/diagnosing-missing-white-woman.html

Guest BuzzardEater

A quick google check shows that the people that have gone missing on the Highway of Tears are mostly native women from the impovershed areas near the highway. Many were likely hitchhiking or prostitutes.

Blaming missing people on bigfoot is kind of sad IMHO when these are real people with real lives and families. The most likely explanation is a serial killer or a series of killers who took advantage of the situation, got what they wanted out of the women and discarded the bodies because they thought no one would care.

Prostitutes? I bring up an example of unsolved abductions of young girls and you call them prostitutes? Enjoy your life, blackdog. Don't interact with me again.

One page on the highway of tears:

http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkillers/C/CANADA_HIGHWAY_murders.php

For the best part of a decade, between 1973 and '81, Canadian authorities were baffled by a series of unsolved sex-murders along the Trans-Canada Highway, spanning the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia. Victims ranged in age from 12 years old to 35, and while published sources could never agree on a body-count -- citing various totals from 11 to 33 victims -- the most frequent tally lists 28 slayings spread over eight years. Many of the victims were apparently hitchhikers, sexually assaulted before they were beaten, strangled, or stabbed to death, with some of the bodies revealing post-mortem mutilations . Generally acknowledged as the first "Highway" victim, 19-year-old Gale Weys was thumbing her way home to Kamloops, from a job in Clearwater, when she met her killer on October 19, 1973. Her naked, decomposing corpse was found a few miles south of Clearwater, on April 6, 1974. By that time, the killer had claimed another victim, picking off 19-year-old Pamela Darlington, at Kamloops, on November 6. Her ravaged body was fished out of the Thompson River next day, and a train crew reported sighting a man with "messy blond hair" near the scene of the crime, but the vague description led detectives nowhere. Colleen McMillan, 16, was last seen alive on August 9, 1974, thumbing rides near Lac La Hache. A month later, on September 4, her nude, decomposing remains were found some 35 miles away. Police suspected a drug addict, who confessed the murder and then recanted before committing suicide. The case remains officially unsolved. On January 9, 1976, 16-year-old Pauline Brazeau was found stabbed to death, outside Calgary. Six months later, on July 1, 19-year-old Tera White disappeared from Banff, her skeletal remains discovered near Calgary in March 1981. Marie Goudreau, 17, was murdered near Devon on August 2, 1976, and 20-year-old Melissa Rehorek was murdered near Calgary on September 15, her body discarded 12 miles from the spot where Pauline Brazeau was discovered. Barbara McLean, age 26, traveled all the way from Nova Scotia to meet her death near Calgary, by strangulation, on February 26, 1977. Monica Jack, 14, disappeared while bicycling near Merritt, on May 6, 1978, and she has not been seen since, though her bike was recovered at the bottom of a highway embankment. On September 26, 1979, 12-year-old Susan Duff went biking near Penticton, her body recovered from the outskirts of town on October 21. Mary Jamieson, 17, disappeared while hitchhiking near Davis Bay, on August 7, 1980; nine days later, when her body was discovered in the nearby woods, the cause of death was listed as asphyxiation. On February 28, 1981, victim Oanh Ha -- a 19-year-old Vietnamese refugee -- was raped and strangled near Golden, her body mutilated after death. Two months later, on April 22, 15-year-old Kelly Cook was reported missing, her body recovered near Taber, Alberta, on June 29. The only male victim in the series, transvestite Frederick Savoy, was parading in drag when the killer mistook him for a woman, knifing him to death in a Vancouver parking lot. Maureen Mosie, generally described as the last "Highway" victim, was beaten to death at Kamloops on May 8, 1981. Six months later, Canadian authorities convened a special summit meeting to discuss 33 of western Canada's 200 unsolved murders, and while they generally agreed that they were seeking several killers -- possibly as many as 18 -- in the "Highway" series, no solid suspects were identified. A ray of hope broke through in 1983, with the marathon confessions of serial slayers Henry Lucas and Ottis Toole including references to "several" Canadian victims, but no charges have been filed to date, and the slayings remain unsolved.

It seems a lot fans of sasquatch like to claim Native American stories support a killer squatch. This ignores that scary boogeyman stories are told to Native kids to make sure the kids don't wander off and get lost. No these stoires are not universal, there are many tribes that have stories of them having magical powers, doing something helpful to humans, being a messenger of some kind. There are also a lot of stories that certain writers have taken liberties with and said "This is Bigfoot" when it never was in the first place.

So don't be too afraid of the woods. The boogeyman is usually a human.

The truth is in all my years of relations with Native people from tribes all over the United States I've never heard of a sasquatch killing, kidnapping, harming, or having sexual relations with a human. All I have heard is the complete opposite.

Guest Knuck

I feel that just as personalities can differ in the species, that environmental dictates come into play. (And always have) While some individuals are inquisitive and can exhibit "friendliness", other individuals are pure butt-holes, bent on loathing human contact, or possibly determined to "get rid of" any homo sapiens they come into contact with. Or an op for extra food source "in a pinch." If a particular Sas, or clan of Sasses, lives where there is ample food sources, and plenty of water, stress to survive would be less, and in turn, outside influences would be less of a big deal to them. While one that is in a harsher environment, may have to bust ass everyday just to subsist. Especially when in competition with other apex predators. These would definately have attitude. And a well placed one obviously. JMEO-Knuck

Guest vilnoori

The truth is in all my years of relations with Native people from tribes all over the United States I've never heard of a sasquatch killing, kidnapping, harming, or having sexual relations with a human. All I have heard is the complete opposite.

How about Canada?

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/mightyfraser.htm

Oops here are some stories in the US:

http://yosemitemonolakepaiute.wordpress.com/2007/11/30/paiute-encounters-with-bigfoot-like-creatures/

Of course these are just from the Internet, not from tribes' members personally. And they are old stories passed down, it is difficult of course to prove the events ever happened. But in my opinion oral history is usually based on some kernal of truth.

On any of these I would consult the people they came form instead or what is written because too many times I've sen writers take liberties and start changing legends to be what they want it to be. As I said, in all my years of relations with Native people from tribes all over the United States I've never heard of a sasquatch killing, kidnapping, harming, or having sexual relations with a human. All I have heard is the complete opposite. I'm not talking about reading stuff from the internet or in a book made to promote "Bigfoot". I'm talking about knowing and being in good standing with real people over an extended period of time. On the Paiute stories, I do know some Paiutes and I also know they have a song for sasquatch that is often sung in ceremonies. I have heard that story of the people in the cave being burned by the sage and I can ask about it from the people I know. But the real lesson here is not to believe what you find on the net or in books that are only meant to entertain, get to know the people.

Now where have I seen that Yosemite link before? Yes, my old home and where I had my first encounter, my old comments at the bottom of the page there too.

FYI, Ahwahnee, the famous hotel there, means Giant to the original inhabitants.

Guest TooRisky

""Oh so many fears, so many noises in the night, far from anyone will we survive this fright"".... The original question is "Why don't they Kill us..." some including my self responded ""why do you think they have not... ???""

The simple fact is, if you are so afraid it is as simple as staying in your safe bed.... Have bear killed man... How about cougar, deer, elk and of course man himself.... If this question comes up in your mind what other questions come up, which seems to bring to mind bicycle helmets... But I digress...

I remember a kid in Jr High, he was trying out for the baseball team and slide into 2nd... and had a very bad tendon separation... Should we all stop playing baseball... Maybe according to some...

The point is there are no gareentees in research, heck in life.... You can be that ******** wearing the helmet waiting for the ball to hit you on the head, or be the guy with the mitt.... Plain and simple is the fact that if you want to be on the edge, ya gotta live on the edge... If not stay home and wear your helmet...

OH and of course.... IMHO so as not to offend the more tender of our forum... LOL you know who you are...

The simple fact is, if you are so afraid it is as simple as staying in your safe bed....

Oh, I don't know about that. ;) I've read about them ripping doors right out of the frames, & tearing houses apart. I doubt if that bed would be very safe if he really wanted to get somebody.

JMHO, too. Wouldn't want to give anybody nightmares.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic