Bigfoot & Cameras

They don't always avoid trail cams.  A friend had one in her yard for quite a long time and got some really neat shots.  My avatar is a crop from one of them.

I can't explain it but I notice some stuff about that situation.  First, the hairy guys were so comfortable there that almost nothing was a deterent.  They would occasionally pilfer from the neighbor's garages and storage sheds (a guess) and bring things to her place.

Could this be why the Finding Bigfoot team has had such bad luck...

They have such bad luck because they don't actually want to find one.  If they do, they are out of a job.

17x7

They have such bad luck because they don't actually want to find one. If they do, they are out of a job.

17x7

i must disagree. i think they absolutely want to find one. can you imagine how much attention they'd get if they found one. that means interviews,maybe they all write a book about their experiences, spin off shows, etc.. i just don't believe that if they gpt great footage or undisputeable. evidence that they'd be out of workn it'd be quite the opposite

They have such bad luck because they don't actually want to find one. If they do, they are out of a job.

17x7

i must disagree. i think they absolutely want to find one. can you imagine how much attention they'd get if they found one. that means interviews,maybe they all write a book about their experiences, spin off shows, etc.. i just don't believe that if they gpt great footage or undisputeable. evidence that they'd be out of workn it'd be quite the opposite

If I ever find out that Sasquatch know what cameras are, and how they work....I'm out!!  LOL!  That in itself would be just a little too creepy.

I think they've been caught on camera, way more than once.

I do think they'd purposely avoid something that looks like a camera, or most other foreign objects  because of association with humans.  If they come across something that doesn't fit into their natural environment, it's not a stretch IMO for them to avoid it.

Researchers get frustrated when they try and try to get pictures of a Sasquatch.  I'm speaking from much experience.  I don't get frustrated because I believe one simple thing.  IMHO, there just aren't that many Sasquatch running around.  Needle in a haystack.

You could take 50 game cameras, and canvas 1 square acre for a year....and you still wouldn't have much of a chance of photographically capturing every species in that acre.  

Getting a clear picture of a Sasquatch is a very..very tall order IMO.

DR

Edited by Derekfoot

been thinking about this lately ..does bigfoot know what cameras are and purposely avoid them at all cost? Or is it just the sinple fact of a human walking in the holding something in their hands that spooks them? If they do (whiich it sure seems like it) then surely this means they are of some intellect.

Could this be why the Finding Bigfoot team has had such bad luck, or any researcher for that matter? I've read. a lot of the Habituation thread and something that keeps coming up is don't use cameras. don't bring any type of recorder,thermal,etc .. or you'll get nothing. does this have any merit? Hoping for a little feedback and thoughts...

No. 

The camera thing is one of the thinnest of the thin 'skeptical' arguments.

No one is trying, on any serious basis, to get photographic or video records of sasquatch.  That's the reason.

Not only are game cameras not going to be the best response when no one knows anything about the animals; for all we know some game cameras might have gotten them, and either the lucky cameramen aren't sharing or the images (e.g. Jacobs) aren't accepted.

The probability of capturing a BF on film is a function of probability of availability times probability of capture given availability.

P ( C) = P(A)x P(C|A)

However, if the BF is not available in the area (due to season or geography or migration or other reason) that you are visiting then you won't capture one on film and won't know the reason why (no matter how many game cameras you place).

The trick is to know if they are available in a target area and if you can narrow down the target area to reasonable area to monitor.

You just don't randomly put cameras everywhere; you have to put them in areas where the target species will most likely pass through.

After you determine that the probability of availability in your target area is not zero, then you got to worry about the probability of capture given availability.  This is where the intelligence of BF question comes up.  Do they avoid cameras when they see them for whatever reason (including the reasons that Nathan gave above)? 

However, that is not the only reason that could lead to a low probability of capture given availability.  Other reasons could be, poor camera setup (angle of coverage, distance of coverage, height of coverage), not enough coverage (camera density), poor camera sensitivity (trigger speed, thermal or visual sensitivity), speed of animal, and other technical issues.

Edited by Explorer

They do know what cameras are.

They do not want to be photographed.

And the most important thing is intent. As in what are your intentions. They have a 6th sense in that regard whether you're carrying a camera or a gun with the intention of shooting them.

That would mean they can read your mind?  If they can, they are probably the only living organism on earth to be able to do so.  I don't think nature is quite that selective.

t.

They have such bad luck because they don't actually want to find one.  If they do, they are out of a job.

17x7

Well, not really.

Think about it.  All of Animal Planet's programming is about animals we "know" (not nearly enough) about.

When bigfoot is confirmed, "finding" it will have just gotten decently started.

That would mean they can read your mind?  If they can, they are probably the only living organism on earth to be able to do so.  

Have you ever had the feeling that you were being watched and it turned out that you were being watched ?

No but I know people have felt that.  Kinda different though from knowing someone's intentions and what they're carrying by reading their mind.

t.

OK, well those people felt that because of their 6th sense.

Likewise, a BF doesn't need to read your mind in order to sense your intentions.

Have you ever had the feeling that you were being watched and it turned out that you were being watched ?

I've had this feeling on multiple occasions in the wilderness, but I don't attribute it to an extra sixth sense.  I believe it's your primal instinct.  Most people IMHO possess the capability of having this ability.  This ability is sharpened when you have to rely on it to survive and keep yourself safe.  The longer you spend infield, the sharper this ability becomes.  I've learned this from much experience.

I'm 100% positive BF has amazing senses, but knowing what a camera is and not wanting to get photographed is not one of them IMO.  I don't mean disrespect here, but I've seen so many people get frustrated with the lack of photos, or evidence, that they start reaching for something that explains how BF can be so stealthy.

BF research is hard.  Very hard.  Mostly because there just aren't that many of them IMO, and they are incredibly aware and hyper sensitive in their natural environment. 

DR

Quote from LarryP

"Likewise, a BF doesn't need to read your mind in order to sense your intentions."

If this is true, that will give BF abilities beyond human capability.

How many people get shot, mugged, killed, robbed by others without getting a pre-cognitive hint or clue about the intentions of the attacker? Millions.  Poor track record.  Needless to say the millions who went to gas chambers during WW2 with no clue on what was coming.

Humans might have a limited 6th sense ability (or instinct), but our track record on having ability to read the intentions of others is not very good.  Otherwise, there would not be conmen out there.