Bigfoot & Cameras

Hello Incorrigible1,

Of course they are :o  Seriously though, since incidents of eyeshine, anecdotal as they are, have been reported then night vision can be a fair conclusion. The other stuff? Meh.

Pardon me, as I must ask: Are any other primates reported with "eyeshine?"

Primates are known as daytime creatures, with color vision from the cones in their retinas. That's presumably to help identify ripe fruit that they're famous for seeking out.

But you and others seem to be granting special abilities to BF, that aren't known to be available to any other single great ape or hominid.

How convenient. Sorry, ain't buying the hype.

Curious, does any species of ape exhibit any remarkably better sense of smell? Not to the extent you claim. Hominid/ape common ancestor bestowed upon us binocular, color vision, adequate hearing, and merely adequate sense of smell.

Some mighty extraordinary abilities are being heaped upon bigfoot, such as night vision, ESP or some corollary, and a sense of smell beyond that known of any other hominid/ape species. Are they able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?

There is reports { off record and on } that suggest they have a very good sense of smell. 

Hello incorrigible1,

Perhaps read again? I didn't state anything as fact. And as far as primates go there are only two Lemurs in Madagascar and one somewhere else that have eyeshine that I know of. NONE of the great apes or Chimpanzees.or monkeys have eyeshine.

So, it's fairly enormous speculation any great ape or hominid might have magnified night vision capabilities. How about sense of smell. That seems again, enormous speculation. How can one species of closely related animal have different sensory abilities than another?

Seems unlikely. Just saying.

Hello Incorrigible1,

No, it's not enormous speculation that ANY hominid has night vision capabilities. They do not. I think Sasquatch exists, but it doesn't make it so. Reports "say" that they do exist and that they have eyeshine. Eyeshine indicates night vision in known animals. 

Edited by hiflier

Reports "say" that they do exist and that they have eyeshine. Eyeshine indicates night vision in known animals. 

Mmmkay. In the real world, that doesn't prove shinola.

Name again animals with eyeshine? You mention "known animals."

Hello Incorrigible1,

Not a complete list:

CATS WITH GREEN/YELLOW EYES:  GREEN

CATS WITH ORANGE- BROWN/BLUE EYES:  RED

COUGAR: 

COWS:  YELLOW/RED

COYOTE: 

DEER:  WHITE/YELLOW/RED

DOGS:  GREEN/BLUE

FOXES:  BLUE/RED 

HORSES:  WHITE

OPOSSUMS:  PINK

OWLS:  RED

PRAIRIE DOG:  ORANGE

RABBITS:  ORANGE/RED

RACOON:  GREEN/WHITE

RATS:  ORANGE/RED

SHEEP:  ORANGE

WHITE-TAILED DEER:  SILVER-WHITE

Edited by hiflier

Hello Incorrigible1,

This may be more complete?

Eyeshine occurs in a wide variety of colors including white, blue, green, yellow, pink and red. However, because eyeshine is a form of iridescence, the color varies slightly with the angle at which it is seen and the color of the source light.

White eyeshine occurs in many fish, especially walleye; blue eyeshine occurs in many mammals such as horses; yellow eyeshine occurs in mammals such as cats, dogs, and raccoons; and red eyeshine occurs in rodents, opossums and birds.

The human eye has no tapetum lucidum, hence no eyeshine. However, in humans and animals two effects can occur that may resemble eyeshine: leukocoria (white shine, indicative of abnormalities including cataracts, cancers, and other problems) and red-eye effect."

Source and further information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum

Further information:

http://www.anomalist.com/features/motheyes.html

2) "Family Galagoidae

Bushbabies – paired red eyeshine (can only be confused with nightjars and owls)

Family Cercopithecidae

Baboons and Monkeys - no eyeshine at night

Order Artiodactyla

Dikdik, Lesser Kudu, Duiker – blue eyeshine

Buffalo, Eland, Reedbuck – reddish blue eyeshine

Warthog, Bushpig – reddish blue eyeshine

Giraffes – blue eyeshine

Order Proboscidea & Hyracoidea

Elephant, Hyrax – no eyeshine

Order Carnivora - mainly green, especially at a distance

Lions – golden orange up close"

http://fm1.fieldmuseum.org/aa/Files/patterso/Spotting_animals_at_night.PDF

3) "Examples of sympatric species in Asia which might be mistaken for lorises because of eye-shine:

Carnivores: in general: eyeshine greenish-blue (Martin, 1990) or yellow (see below). Arboreal nocturnal carnivores in Sri Lanka: yellow-green reflexion (B. Meier, pers. comm.; Petter, Hladik 1970). Viverrids in Malaysia: some species with an eye-shine similar to that of N. coucang, but different movements and eye-blinking patterns (F. Wiens, pers. comm.). Palm civets, particularly Paradoxurus hermaphroditus, in Malaysia: yellow to orange, somewhat similar to N. coucang (F. Wiens, pers. comm.). (Barrett, 1984, mentions white or lemon-yellow reflexion). Cats: yellowish eyeshine (Boeckh, 1975: no information whether referring to all cat species or domestic cats only).

Rodents: flying squirrels, for instance Petaurista petaurista, in Malaysia: yellow to orange (F. Wiens, pers. comm.). (Barrett, 1984: white or lemon-yellow reflexion, somewhat similar to N. coucang)

Fruit-bats (e. g. Pteropus): tapetum present, no information about colour of eyeshine (Martin 1990)

Ungulates (hoofed mammals): greenish-blue eyeshine (Martin 1990)

Birds: Long-tailed night-jars (Caprimulgus macrurus) have a colour of eye-shine similar to that of N. coucang, but usually only one eye is visible, and the animals are found sitting in characteristic places, on lookouts such as masts (F. Wiens, pers. comm.)"

http://www.loris-conservation.org/database/wild_survey/Survey.html

4) "Eyeshine Comes in Many Colors

Here is a listing of various animals and their eyeshine characteristics, gathered from a host of internet articles, print references, and personal observations.

Among insect predators, some spiders, in particular wolf spiders, have eyeshine that has frequently confounded spotlighters looking for larger animals. They tend to sparkle brightly from a distance, but can appear pink up close. When approached, what looks like multiple predators is suddenly revealed to be one tiny individual with four or six bright eyes facing forward. On the other hand, I have read a tale of river rafters spotlighting on the Colorado River and seeing what looked like city lights as seen from the air. Upon landing to check this out, they discovered a large congregation of spiders.

I don't know how many amphibians have the Tapetum lucidum, but many frogs do, and they tend to be a bright green.

Sharks and rays tend to have a Tapetum lucidum, consisting of guanine crystals in the choroid behind the retina. Great White sharks have excellent vision, including color vision. Apparently, they can hunt even by starlight on moonless nights.

Bony fishes, particularly carnivorous fishes like Walleye, have Tapeta consisting of pigments in the retinal layer. Walleye eyeshine is dull silver. Seatrout are white, and gars are yellow.

Crocodiles and turtles tend to have Tapeta lucida of guanine crystals in the retinal layer. Female and young alligators have green eyeshine. Adult alligators have an extremely memorable glowing-coals red eyeshine, especially when seen at eye level while swimming.

In birds, there is conflicting information that I have not resolved. Many birders report eyeshine from many species, particularly shorebirds, in many colors. According to most morphological sources, avian and otherwise, only owl family members and some nightjar family members have a tapetum type structure. Sawwhet Owls' eyes are orange, Barred Owls' eyes shine bright red, and Great Horned Owls' eyes appear yellow.

Some marsupials, like the Opossum, have a retinal Tapetum lucidum. Opossum eyes shine orange.

Bats, with one exception, do not have a tapetum lucidum. Apparently, their ancestors lost this long ago, before they evolved a nocturnal lifestyle. They have way overcompensated for this loss with their superb echolocating abilities. Fruit Bats do have a Tapetum lucidum, and a red eyeshine, but several traits indicate that they may have evolved separately from the smaller, echolocating bats.

Carnivores, including canids (dogs), felids (cats), vulpids (foxes), ursids (bears), some pinnipeds (seals), and mustelids (weasels), have a cellular layer containing various compounds other than guanine. The color of the eyeshine from these families varies depending on age, condition, and the color of the skin and hair, but here is list of generalized colors, with some notes:

-Domestic kittens have blue eyeshine. Cats with green or yellow eyes have greenish eyeshine. Cats with blue eyes have reddish eyeshine.

-Dogs vary from green/gold to gold/yellow.

-Bears tend to have deep red eyeshine.

-Fox kits and subadults have dull yellow eyeshine. Adults have golden yellow eyeshine.

-Black-Footed Ferrets have a brilliant green eyeshine.

Whales and dolphins, and nocturnal hoofed animals (ungulates) have a Tapetum lucidum of fibrous connective tissue in the choroid.

-I have no information on eyeshine colors for whales.

-deer and pig do not have Tapeta lucida, but their dull eyeshine is red-orange to yellow orange.

-Cows, or cattle, have a blue eyeshine.

-sheep and goats have a greenish blue eyeshine.

-bighorn sheep have a sage green eyeshine.

Elephants have a Tapetum lucidum. YOU can go wake one up and find out what color the eyeshine is. I should warn you, elephants are famously annoyed by bright lights. On the other hand, some African megafauna are attracted to bright lights, and will approach until they run smack into them, which presents a whole new problem for the spotlighter. Most of the larger fauna of Africa do have distinctive eyeshine colors, though.

In almost all cases, albinos will have a red eyeshine, sometimes dull, as in humans, sometimes not much affected, as in domestic ferrets.

Most primates do not have a Tapetum lucidum, including humans, chimps, and baboons. Some of the nightdwelling primates like lemurs do, but not tarsiers. These tiny insect eaters apparently lost their reflective layer before returning to nocturnal habits. They have compensated with huge eyes with all rod cells, which gather light, and other enhanced senses."

http://blog.ltc.arizona.edu/azmasternaturalist/2005/09/the_eyeshine_ef.html

Read more: What animal has eyes that reflect blue in the dark? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1840955#ixzz2oS1PjXGW

Branco, how can you tell the difference between a bigfoot trail and a deer trail? By size? Also why do you think they do not use the same trails for going up and down the mountain?

They leave tracks on the old roadbed near the point it crosses the spring-fed creek, on the steeper part of the road where heavy rain run-off exposes the weathered, and finely ground shale and in the thick leaves and duff in the lower part of the trail. Nothing but coyotes tracks and scat, and BF tracks. At the higher elevations of the roadbed, thickets of Ironwood trees grow in and alongside the road. At that point there is a sheer cliff of sandstone above the west side of the very narrow roadbed and a steep, drop-off into the creek bed below. The BF keep their trail fairly open by breaking off or breaking and bending the limbs of the Ironwoods to a height of about ten feet. The old road "tops out" in a gap between one mountain and the end of a big ridge off another mountain. They have a trail that follows the connecting ridge, then follow it north to another connecting ridge which eventually (two miles or so) peaks out in large sandstone outcrop where they bed every two or three  nights. That high point has a  growth of stunted pines and short Blackjack Oaks which provides good cover and a good view of everything below them for hundreds of yards. If they go down the ridge from that point, they will be in bottoms of another fork of the main river. During their foraging routine they make a wide loop and often bed on another mountain south of the high point.They have been seen, heard and reported in that area for many years.

To be clear; deer tracks would be much more visible on that trail than coyote or BF tracks. At numerous points along the route described numerous deer tracks will be seen crossing the trail, and even on the trail itself where it passes through stands of White Oak trees where deer have fed on acorns. At some times a hunter might use a part of the trail, and leave tracks which can be hard to differentiate from those of BF in some places, but at points along the trail the track can be identified.

One last thing about BF tracks. It is possible for anyone with fairly good eyesight and a lot of patience to find and follow the tracks Bigfoot for some distances, at least in particular areas. I would urge every young hunter, whether hunting for BF or other animals, to teach themselves the fast fading skill of tracking. It is tedious, hard on one's back, tiring and at times impossible. (Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain that claims he can continuously track any other man across any terrain. Ain't true.) By learning to track, young folks can benefit from the skill by back-tracking themselves when they become lost and by retrieving wounded game when the blood trail end. (Following a blood trail is NOT the same as tracking.) 

Guest lightheart

I have been wanting to learn to track for some time now. I agree with you that it is a skill that is being lost. The Olympic Project offers a tracking class and I would love to give myself the gift of that experience. Also here in my state the Browns offer a weekend of tracking and skill building in the woods. I am buying a tent in January so that I can be ready to go if the opportunity presents itself. Even though the terrain is different here I would like to be able to learn more from the tracks I am finding.

Thanks for the explanation Branco I read your every post carefully so that I can learn more.

Cascades Carnivore Project - How Do They Miss the Bigfoots?

Dunno.  Wish there weren't such obvious reasons for the researchers who saw and heard them to shut up about it.  That might help.