So You've Found Sasquatch Remains...now What?

hiflier

Hello All,

This thread is a follow up to the "Dead Sasquatch" thread. What if one does stumble across the remains of a Sasquatch? What then? Let's say you're in the woods searching a known active area and have unexpectedly stumbled upon something you never thought you's find- a deceased Sasquatch. What do you do? You went looking for this very thing and now you find yourself in the situation. Even though the point of being in the woods in the first place was to discover a body are you at all prepared?

Nearly everyone isn't because nearly everyone isn't in the woods for that purpose. But let's say for the sake of this discussion that you were indeed there for that purpose. I would like to see this discussion progress in a step by step (if possible) sequence of maneuvers one might undertake under these circumstances.

It may take a moment to place yourself in that scene and absorb what might be your first thoughts and reactions. Once coming out of the initial shock of seeing a large dead animal what would be the first thing to do? What kind of plan would you then make if you didn't have one in place beforehand?

This is hopefully going to go all the way from extraction to delivering the remains to.....where?...to whom?....when?.....how?....and so forth. If we can break down the steps in a way that shows process, along with THINKING AHEAD while in the present it would be beneficial. Everything one does from the get-go will impact the outcome down the road. We've seen others' failures and discussed those failures in the field before. Many, including myself, have no doubt thought, "What a fool, you ruined your one chance for proof!"

How could that be avoided? What would you do differently to assure that the outcome gets from the woods to the public eye in an irrefutable and documented manner? If we banter it's okay but along the way if we take the subject seriously then a lot of us could learn some valuable information and possible techniques and procedures to help make such a find go all the way.

There may be some speculation here but I think very little as most of this subject should be standard Sasquatch operating procedure ;), and that by seeing others' mistakes we should know by now how not to screw it up? LOL. What might be the first thing that would alert you that the remains are those of a Sasquatch? Besides the overwhelming need to faint. 

Edited by hiflier

If I found a dead sasquatch I would .. hmmm ... first double-check to be sure it was really dead.   Then I would probably dig a hole and bury it.   Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.   I'll see you on the other side, brother.

MIB

Contact associates and activate a team response. Take photographs until they arrive. Process the site as thoroughly as a major crime scene. Once on site, the team determines which of three options we take. No disclosures outside the team unless it serves an investigative purpose.

I've stumbled upon that "impossible" find, a dead Sasquatch. First order of business is to determine personal safety; check all of the immediate area for threats - are there other SSQ nearby? Scavengers, such as bears? Once you're sure that you can safely approach, start taking pictures, lots and lots of pictires, from every possible angle, including long shots to show the lay of the land, so that you could find the exact spot again, should you have to evacuate quickly. GPS co-ordinates would be great, if you have one, or at least have the app on your smartphone.

Next item would be an assessment of the remains - how old is the body? Will it fall to pieces if moved as a unit? If so, how large a piece could be moved without it turning to pink mush?

Pre-planning would determine next steps. Availability of container/s to hold all or part for removal, distance to transport, number of hands to help carry, all play into how you get as much as you can to your vehicle.

OK, where do I go with it?

HOLDMYBEER beat my post, but yes, what he said, too.

Edited by BC witness

Hello HOLDMYBEER,

Ok, that's pretty good. This would mean you have a team of associates at the ready. Good if you do too. They would then know where you're going and some might even be with you at the discovery sight. Could you go into the three options you mentioned because I of all people won't think of everything.

Hello BC Witness,

Also good. Safety would be the first priority- even before determining whether the find was a Sasquatch or not. One shouldn't go in alone in the first place if searching for anything that could be carrion. Predators that are hungry are dangerous. If the remains look old then a study of them for assessing the creature type from a distance would be smart IMO. Use a stick perhaps to try and view the head. One may be able to readily see if it's a deer or elk without doing anything but a bear could be mistaken for a Sasquatch. Are there feet? Are there HANDS! Is it so far gone that one can't tell if it's Human? If it has feet, or hands, or one can see a head shape and it is determined to be covered in hair? Then guess what? Step two. Which is to first think how one could mess up the end result.

Your ideas are good. If we can slow things down a bit for some details then I think you're on the right path. My own problem is I move through the senario too quickly and part of doing this thread is to help me slow down to a more methodical pace. In my mind I find the carcass in one scene an in the wink of an eye am knocking on a door with a box in my hands in the next.

Edited by hiflier

Agreed, hiflier, I'm looking for the details I'd surely miss, too, so this is a learning experience for me, right along with you.

OK, where do I take my carcass/remains? I'm in Canada, so it would be more than a little awkward to schlep a dead Squatch through customs to Dr Meldrum. This is something I'll need to discuss with more experienced local researchers. I do have access to several notables in the field.

Admin

I think the task should be separated into two tasks.

1) Considering the size of a BF and realizing that it would be impractical to take the remains with you right away, plus the security issue, the first task is to secure evidence and get out ASAP.  Cut a few pieces of flesh, bag them, take the GPS location, some pics and GET OUT quickly and safely. 

2) Gather a team and come back later for the examination/recovery well prepared.

Edited by gigantor

I hate to say this, but that silly $10M Bigfoot Bounty show has at least pointed out that a search for evidence needs a few basic forensic tools. Things like sterile gloves and containers for samples, somes swabs to collect blood samples, tweezers, that sort of thing, should be in a day pack with you, not in the back of your truck, 3 miles away.

PM Wag, hope he is online at the time- if not:

Take the head, minimal. Arm with hand if possible, Leg with foot, and private parts if male. Get the hay out of there. Put it on ice, figure out how to preserve it for the long run ASAP. Start to make contact with private buyer. No publicity. Sign a 'no public release, accidental or not' contract, get a lawyer, maybe he can help find a buyer, preferably Japanese I would imagine. Ask $10 million, split with lawyer, 6 million, or have a private bidding party. Open Swiss bank account. Hope you don't go around for the rest of your life looking over your shoulder.

You do NOT leave the scene and hope to come back later and its still there. Dumbest thing you could possibly do. You have to take the half mark, and gamble you could get a big payoff.

Edited by Wag

I would stay with the remains, if possible and if I did not have a high powered rifle with me, I would get one sent to me, again depending on whether I was alone, had phone service etc. Otherwise I would take samples I could carry and get to a phone and call Dr. Meldrum and get a high powered rifle and call reinforcements to help me guard the remains from whatever or whomever might be interested in it in whatever way. I would already have a .45 auto so if I had cell service I would just secure the objective and call Dr. Meldrum and get a rifle and reinforcements. And take pictures while I was there, and notate everything of course. If attacked i would do whatever I felt I needed to do to survive and live to fight another day,

There are a ton of differing circumstances that could change the way you handle this. BUT, if I had a 4 wheeler or truck that could get into the site and they were close enough by, I would get either and tow the body out.  Of course before that I would take plenty of pics, get some hair, skin, etc samples. but bottom line, if it WAS possible to tow the **** thing out behind a vehicle of some kind to a place where you could then possibly get help, then that would be my choice.  But again, there are SO many different possible variations that it's hard to pinpoint the absolute best way to proceed.  First and foremost, no matter what, take lots of pics and get plenty of biological samples. 

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but if I ever stumbled upon a dead Sasquatch body, I'd just leave it.  Obviously nature or the Sasquatch themselves have done a good job taking care of their dead up until now, so I'd let that cycle continue.  I see no need to collect any evidence in an attempt to prove their existence once and for all.  And I honestly don't think I could live with myself if I made a financial profit, however large, off a dead Sasquatch, knowing what that proof of existence would inevitably mean to their future.  If I could be assured that such proof would be met only with the finest efforts for conservation so that the Sasquatch people could continue to live as they always have or better, then perhaps I would be inclined to collect evidence to finally prove their existence to the world.  However, seeing the track record mankind has had with rare species of animals, I feel it's in the Sasquatches best interest never to be proven beyond a relatively few number of "civilized" people.  To paraphrase a line from The Lost World: Jurassic Park...  "They don't need our help to survive.  They need our absence."

• Upvote 3