So You've Found Sasquatch Remains...now What?

hiflier

^Right on.

I don't know why there are dueling threads on the subject. Of course official evidence has been gathered, as has been private stuff that is unreleased. So what? If folks care about rare animals, they should get outside and help conserve habitat. JMO.

Edited by JKH

Has anyone ever thought that:

Most, if not all, supposed bigfoot "evidence" tests as human. So the theory is bigfoot has enough human dna to test as that... try to follow me as I connect my thoughts...:::

So if you were to cut off, lets say a hand, bring it to someone to test and it comes back as human, would you then be arrested and charged with murder or desecrating human remains?

Not if they could see the hand. And the head, and the privates with DNA. Thats why it goes to Japan, ANY involvement is a HIGH RISK (or assumed it is). See it, take the half-way mark. Take some parts, get out, find buyer. Anything else is purely stupid. Bury the remains if you can, but this is going to have to be a rougue male if its just laying out there, but I would still bury it so nothing else or no-one else finds it. It (may) happen to rogue males all the time.

They find it missing parts, there is going to be an investigation, and you don't want that. Never go back to the same area or withing X miles.

$3 million and knowledge of the squatch, thats all I need, the squatches are left in peace.

Edited by Wag

Suppose the remains are quite decayed with minimal hair left and mostly bones visible.  Would it still be optimal to get bones representing hand,  foot and head?  What if I can't get the whole head?  Isn't the jawbone valuable as well?  What would be the best bones to grab if most were available?

Skookum Chuck, take as much as you can carry. The skull would be most important, I think, then lower leg with foot, and lower arm with hand. I like your handle, as I once had a placer claim adjacent to a hotspring known as Skookumchuck Springs, or St. Agnes Well, on the Lillooet River. I didn't get rich, but had fun. Gold fever is a lifelong disease, with no known cure. ;-)

Hello All,

Before I continue I need to address MIB and Quazimoto.

There are people and groups out there right now trying to SHOOT one. They have said if one is found dead then they will halt those endeavors. If one is not found already dead they will continue in their efforts to SHOOT one. If one is, by some unbelievable chance, found already deceased then what is the finder to do? Does one make the effort at extracting some or all of the remains in order to stave of the taking of a live male, female or juvenile?

I don't start these threads lightly folks. I give them serious thought both ethically and morally. Every one of them has been about getting proof.

@ JKH,

Yes, there are seeming overlapping threads. The first was on HOW to prepare for finding evidence. The second one discussed the circumstances, namely old age, that would result in a Sasquatch dying and possible locations in which to look. This was on the premise of reports of grey and white haired sightings. And this, the third in the series, is for discussing the finding of that dead Sasquatch. I hope you can understand now why I've gone in this direction. I think it to be the best since it looks like, no matter what, a type specimen and therefore proof is the goal. Finding a dead one I thought was the most humane and could be a low-cost method that might involve more people in that task.

Putting more in the field for that purpose might just allow a Sasquatch life to be spared for which time may be running out.

Edited by hiflier

Hello gigantor,

1) Considering the size of a BF and realizing that it would be impractical to take the remains with you right away, plus the security issue, the first task is to secure evidence and get out ASAP.  Cut a few pieces of flesh, bag them, take the GPS location, some pics and GET OUT quickly and safely...

Wise thinking. The reports suggesting Sasquatch have been seen in pairs or more requires the utmost in caution. A freshly deceased animal of any kind will place a Human at risk. This needs to be fully understood before even going in for the search. If the carcass is an old one not so much. Dr. Meldrum has stated that the femur is vital for determining species. DNA can be extracted and the tests and examimations for bipedalism would be paramount.

depending on the condition of deceased creature, if it was decomposing I would go for a tooth to bring back.  If I had to leave the area the tooth would be great evidence and if I had a camera lots of pictures, If there was cell service I would call 911 get a sheriff. I might tell them I found a human body so they wouldn't think  I was a nut case. I would also call a game biologist and tell them what I have found. If there was no cell service and I had to leave I would go to the nearest location to get service and call authorities. 

Of coarse I would be thinking of my own safety with the thought of predators and scavengers near by. Sorry lots of  "if's" but then I guess this is a "what if"

Hello All,

I'm going to move this along a bit. We've discussed the being prepared part. That would be know the area ahead of time, check the weather, have some personal protection, tell someone you trust where you going, when you'll be back or meet up, and how to approach and assess the area before making a move toward the animal. What to do when there, as in determining it's condition, identifying what it is, and- IF a Sasquatch- then possibly what to remove and walk (or run LOL) away with. And NOT to do this search by one's self. Know the area ahead of time check the weather, and then.......

Then what? The goal is proof after all. So let's say you make it out of the woods with perhaps a cranium or jawbone, a femur (which would be ideal for Mr. Meldrum), a hand (necessary?) for one's own primate assessment perhaps, and I say a foot (remember that mid-tarsal break?)....Ok, at the vehicle, depending on the condition of the samples, there should be ice in a large cooler, straps for securing the container and it's contents....and some phone calls to your trusted people. I think it important for them to know you succeeded (or not).

Now comes the critical part. Who to call next.......My advice is to take your time to think hard about that one.

Edited by hiflier

Hello All,

Before I continue I need to address MIB and Quazimoto.

There are people and groups out there right now trying to SHOOT one.

I understand that.   I'm not as optimistic (?) about their chances of success as you are.   Nor am I optimistic that proof of existence equates to protection.   I think that is unrealistic.   I think instead the attention proof brings will bring more, better equipped, more determined people to the "kill" camp regardless of illegality

MIB

Hello MIB,

And I understand what you're saying as well. Either way it goes down, it may not end well. One wonders what kind of damage the current spate of Sasquatch TV shows will render. The approach this thread is about is to try and stay ahead of any fallout from that source as well as grassing one in the field, And yes, I am more prone to think that it will happen sooner than later; or at least sooner than never. The search for Sasquatch remains, while unpleasant to think about, is to me the least harmful if there was a choice to be made. The possibility though slim is an option I'd prefer over the other senarios that are going on now. As far as I know there is currently no all out effort to find a body other than by happenstance during the hunt for a live one.

Edited by hiflier

Hello All,

Now comes the critical part. Who to call next.......My advice is to take your time to think hard about that one.

Answer? NO ONE! In other words, DO NOT USE THE PHONE. No cell phone, no home phone, no smart phone, no ipad, no email......nothing. Nothing electronic, wireless or otherwise.

It's late here again. G'nite.

Edited by hiflier

Like I said in another thread like this, I would already have a savvy lawyer on retainer.

I agree no electronic communication. After working in the field with numerous "agencies" I can assure every call, or email is recorded, and the coordinates traceable.

Maybe a code for some kind of communication through a 3rd party.

The thing I'm concerned about is some agency confiscating the remains, from the site or your possesion. In some wildlife areas, you are not allowed to take "souveniers". All that hard work for nothing...