N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

Bipto-

Does each member carry written permission from the landowner to carry guns on the property?

They carry permission to be on the property. You don't need permission to carry guns on private property. 

I'm not going to speculate as to their ability to generate infrasound or anything like that. We have no observations one way or the other. Regarding "lost time" or other bizarre symptoms, no, we've not experienced anything like that. 

Watched a Nat Geo program (several years ago) regarding this phenomen and it covered African Elephants ability to use it as a method of communication for distances of ~20 miles and I believe the show also referenced other animals could produce sound waves in/near such a frequency. With reports of some people being overcome with nausea, dizziness and other health related items during an encounter, and with what I've read on infrasound (capable of causing major organs to shut down and even death) it precipitated this line of questions as to your people's field experiences.

Weren't they on private land and not public plus claimed to be unaware of the kids presence?

Edited by salubrious

Just because a firearm is discharged, doesn't automatically endanger people around it.

Does OK have rod and gun clubs or shooting ranges?

Do they allow public hunting?

Can land owners target shoot in their property?

I'm guessing there's more to it than what is posted above.

Otherwise, anyone shooting a firearm within hearing distance of another person could be fined b/c of the perception of 'endangered'.

Drew - you seem to be well versed on this particular incident.  Were the 'kids' trespassing?  I thought they were in a vehicle? So we're talking 16 or 17 year olds were involved? 

Thanks.

Maybe they had permission to be there?

Were they family members of the land owner?

Whether the property is public or private is of no relevance with regard to this statute.

The couple felt endangered enough to crack up their car on the way out, and allegedly settled with the NAWAC on damages.  If they were trespassing and not endangered, why would the NAWAC pay them cash for the car damages?

I would think trespassers, intentional or not, inadvertantly walking into someones line of fire would not satisfy the misdemeanor  provisions of that statue. Same thing can, and has happened at dedicated legal, sanctioned gun ranges. Unfortunate accident of people in wrong place at wrong time I think.

/who

Just because a firearm is discharged, doesn't automatically endanger people around it.

Does OK have rod and gun clubs or shooting ranges? Yes

Do they allow public hunting? In/on designated PHA/WMA's

Can land owners target shoot in their property? Yes, but are supposed to exercise common sense and know what/who is downrange

I'm guessing there's more to it than what is posted above.

Otherwise, anyone shooting a firearm within hearing distance of another person could be fined b/c of the perception of 'endangered'.

Drew - you seem to be well versed on this particular incident.  Were the 'kids' trespassing?  I thought they were in a vehicle? So we're talking 16 or 17 year olds were involved? 

Thanks.

I don't know that they were trespassing.  Why would NAWAC pay them if they were there illegally?

Yes they were family, and the couple was 50 yards from the gunfire.  I found the incident description.

The team departed for home the next morning. Shortly after reestablishing cell phone coverage, Mr. Branson contacted the team and informed them that his nephew and his nephew's girlfriend had driven to the site the previous day. The nephew left his truck parked at the property gate and had begun to walk up the path toward the cabins when he heard what he mistook to be machine gun fire. He ran back to his truck and fled the area, apparently damaging his truck in the process. Colyer never saw or heard the truck prior to its departure, nor did he see or hear the two people. Their position, relative to Colyer's, was to the west through the dense forest, while the animal Colyer was attempting to collect was to his southwest. Neither they nor their vehicle was ever in the line of fire. 

Following the conversation with Mr. Branson, team members made contact with Branson's son, a deputy sheriff in the area, and related the events to him. He advised contacting the County Sheriff's Office, since the nephew had reported that he had been shot at with a machine gun by "druggies." After communicating with the sheriff's office twice, the matter was dropped. Upon learning of the damage to his truck, said to amount to $1200, the NAWAC offered the nephew $2,000 to help offset the cost of repairs. The check was cashed a few days after it was sent. Following a break of approximately one week, the NAWAC resumed Operation Endurance to its planned completion.

http://woodape.org/index.php/news/news/204-the-echo-incident

Is Mr. Branson's son (the Deputy Sheriff) a deputy in the county the incident occured?

Does he have jurisdiction in the area?  or is he in a different county?  Did you call the Sheriff in the county that the incident occurred in?

My current law license does not cover interpretation of OK statutes, and I won't go there. You guys might want to follow that example maybe?

Edited by WSA

Maybe they had permission to be there?

Were they family members of the land owner?

Whether the property is public or private is of no relevance with regard to this statute.

The couple felt endangered enough to crack up their car on the way out, and allegedly settled with the NAWAC on damages.  If they were trespassing and not endangered, why would the NAWAC pay them cash for the car damages?

I ask, b/c if they're trespassing, I would guess there is some fault/negligence of their own.  So, we're not sure.  Oh well.

Dude, Drew, people feel endangered being in a house with a gun locked up in a gun cabinet.  People feel endangered living within a mile of a pheasant farm.  That is a monumentally subjective position - 'endangered'. 

I don't know why NAWAC paid for their damages.  Maybe b/c they felt bad?  My guess is that they were maybe worried about them being kind of like you and creating a 'thorn in their side' nightmare with a pile of legal mumbo jumbo and wanted to send em packing.

;-)

Edit - OK, so they were family.

That's why they were paid.  To smooth things over with the family.

Being 50 yards from unsuspected gunfire would startle most folks.  Endanger them?  Nope, not unless it was them they were shooting at.

From the description above, it sounds they were indeed downrange of the muzzle, but not in the line of fire.

In a hunting scenario, that is not uncommon at all.

Private property is a legal designation of the ownership of property by non-governmental legal entities.[1] Private property is distinguishable from public property, which is owned by a state entity; and collective property, which is owned by a group of non-governmental entities.[2] Private property is further distinguished from personal property, which refers to property for personal use and consumption.

Just checking in for the latest 'intellectual' tack of the bigfoot skeptics.

NAWAC had a mild complication happen...so bigfoot isn't real.

Oh.  Um.  OK, and back to our regular programming...