Skeeters And Sasquatch

NathanFooter

I got to thinking today about how dreadful this year is going to be for mosquitoes and then I was kind of hit in the face with another thought, could finding zones of consistent activity be a matter of finding where the bugs are the least in the forest ?

I hope to both hear from those who have some thoughts on finding areas with less bugs and from those who have some information and experience with locating core areas for sasquatch to try and gain some insight on any possible correlations.

Hmmm... I'm not sure that such a big-free zone actually exists, and moreover, that BF would limit himself to that area if it did. Another way to look at it, if the food is where the bugs are, that's where BF will be, bugs or not.

Having said that, perhaps the deepest darkest cave? But still, they'd have to come out to eat, and who wants to corner a BF in a cave?

Not to say they don't look to while-away their daylight hours where there might be a breeze (or buried under forest litter) to keep them at bay, but they can't stay away from bugs forever.

While biting flies and mozzies must be a huge annoyance, it would be the ticks that I'd imagine give them the most grief. Daily communal tick/parasite grooming must be exhaustive.

My two cents, but except for the cave scenario, I don't know how you find a bug-free zone in such a manner as to improve your chances of interaction or observation. Not a habituator "fan," but it does seem to be the best way to encourage interaction.

There's a Chuck Norris-esque joke in here somewhere about bugs being too afraid to bite BF, anyway :)

Edited by Gotta Know

I was not meaning to say a ,, bug free zone,, but maybe finding where the concentration of bugs is the least to see if this area is where they are sleeping or resting during periods of inactivity.

I would imagine they use local fauna to their benefit. Here in coastal SC there is a lot of Wax Myrtle tree's and the leaves can be crushed and the oil rubbed on to keep the mosquito's away. Also works great in a fire and used to be smoked by the native tribes. Also as a pain killer, pick me up, diuretic. The berries can be eaten or used as seasoning. Called the "miracle bush". Just an example from my area. 

Hard to imagine a place in a Florida swamp with no mosquitoes, so I don't think that they would try avoid them by hanging out in a certain place.

Mosquitoes are very susceptible to gasses.  It's not beyond the realm of possibility that bigfoot uses a natural odor, or something with an odor that repels mosquitoes.

Does anyone know of any plants that naturally repel mosquitoes that may be available to bigfoot?

My research area is largely swamp forest that is just completely over flowing with bugs, I do feel like that near the faster moving creeks the bugs where not as bad.

What about just general environmental factors that could aid in reducing skeeter populations like moving water, higher ground, certain plants that could be repellant, dry conditions and air flow ?   Would these be of any real significance to population densities ?

BFF Patron

Not in the Wind River range high altitude lakes region, they are man eaters, will descend on the body warmth emanated through your tent and fly and will hum all night long.

IF the creature has a dense covering of long hair / fur, perhaps mosquitoes aren't a serious issue.

Agree about thick hair.

Less standing water and dry areas mean fewer places where larvae can grow.  Low spots, no matter the altitude, are sheltered from the wind, so fliers don't have to fight strong breezes.  Hilltops and treetops are more exposed to wind.

Hard to imagine a place in a Florida swamp with no mosquitoes, so I don't think that they would try avoid them by hanging out in a certain place.

Mosquitoes are very susceptible to gasses.  It's not beyond the realm of possibility that bigfoot uses a natural odor, or something with an odor that repels mosquitoes.

Does anyone know of any plants that naturally repel mosquitoes that may be available to bigfoot?

Nice, are they stinkier where there are more bugs? That is a great question. But would a skunk smell or dog smell keep the bugs away?

They probably are stinkier in hot, moist climates.  We certainly are.  Not sure about how body odors affect mosquitoes, but some people seem to attract them more than others.  Wood smoke, vehicle exhaust, suppress mosquitoes.  Don't recall them ever being very active in fog either.  They have fairly delicate respiratory systems, all things considered.  No lungs, just tracheal tubes that pump air when their limbs move.  Very few protective enzymes in the tracheal tubes.  As little as a tenth of a part per million of hydrogen peroxide in the air kills em.

Mosquitoes: the most deadly animal on earth. Are bigfoot subject to malaria, yellow fever, parvo,  or any other insect-borne disease?

Probably as much as any other wild primate.  New diseases, or some new strains of old diseases take their toll.  They would be generally resistant to diseases that have been around awhile because the susceptible have already been weeded out.

If the one native American account I saw was accurate, they were hit really hard by European diseases in the 1500's.  If true, this indicates that they're probably vulnerable to the same things in general that we are.

Edited by JDL