Skeeters And Sasquatch

NathanFooter

I tend to agree, that the bigfoot population was probably severely affected by disease caused by the influx of Europeans.

Robert Bakker surmises the demise of the dinosaurs could have been caused by the same effect, and not an earth-strike meteor. That the colliding continents could have brought together otherwise isolated populations of animals, and the disease that would become widespread could have contributed to their extinction.

Hello NathanFooter,

My research area is largely swamp forest that is just completely over flowing with bugs, I do feel like that near the faster moving creeks the bugs where not as bad.

What about just general environmental factors that could aid in reducing skeeter populations like moving water, higher ground, certain plants that could be repellant, dry conditions and air flow ?   Would these be of any real significance to population densities ?

Pyrethrum would be a general natural repellant if an animal couldn't find relief otherwise. Stinging Nettles is said to be good against ticks along with Sage. I've read Basil is good against mosquitoes.

@JDL

Agree about thick hair.

Less standing water and dry areas mean fewer places where larvae can grow.  Low spots, no matter the altitude, are sheltered from the wind, so fliers don't have to fight strong breezes.  Hilltops and treetops are more exposed to wind.

It has been said BF like the ridges as do bear. Also creek beds so the running water thing sounds good too. Although in Maine the black flies prefer the running water for their larva. It would seem therefore that the high ground no matter what would be the best areas for getting away from nuisances with trips to water as needed for refreshment as well as cooling down and ambushing prey. I'm still researching skunk cabbage, maybe not as a fly deterrent but one for tick control.

Mosquitoes: the most deadly animal on earth. Are bigfoot subject to malaria, yellow fever, parvo,  or any other insect-borne disease?

No

Nathan

The most lower cooler valleys and where the pines are is where I use to look. If you follow the deer on the warmer days when the skeeters are really buzzing  then those low valleys where there are heavy trees and it is cooler. You will still have skeeters but they will not be as bad as they are on the trails. A good bug suit is always good for tracking but not good for my dog when he comes out with me on those humid hot days. But going alone is always better luck with them and they seem to respond better alone then with a dog around.

Not being smart NathanFooter, but you obviously are not familiar with something far worse than skeeters.  It is those God awful Redbugs or Chiggers as they are commonly called.  They are as small as a pinhead and they come out above 60 degrees here in the south.  They wait on tall grass and bushes for a host to brush by them.  Once you realize they are on you, its way, way too late!  You are toast!!

You break out with dots like the measles in a short time, which begin to fester and eventually form ulcer like sores.  The pain and itching will drive you crazy!  I got in them real bad once and will NEVER do that again!  It was the better part of a week before the itching subsided.  I looked like I had been shot with birdshot!  I often wonder how the Big Guys avoid this threat. 

I got to thinking today about how dreadful this year is going to be for mosquitoes and then I was kind of hit in the face with another thought, could finding zones of consistent activity be a matter of finding where the bugs are the least in the forest ?

I hope to both hear from those who have some thoughts on finding areas with less bugs and from those who have some information and experience with locating core areas for sasquatch to try and gain some insight on any possible correlations.

I would think they would do what other large animals would do in such circumstances. In some areas that would be to simply hunker down and keep swatting them. Other areas would invite swimming and highlands would be good places to go in the summer if they were available. Simply watch where the deer go and you would probably have a good location to watch for bigfoot, bear, puma, pigs or whatever other large animals are in the area. Hmm mud packs are good defense against skeeters too now that I think about it. Dust baths might be an option also. I've watched the cats on my street do this when it gets warm out. I think it's actually to keep out ticks but I don't know why they do it for sure.

Hello NathanFooter,

There is something on the larger scale to think about which may help in supporting these ideas. I've read more than one database summary that has indicated an unexpected result. The apparent drop in sightings in the Spring season. It has been attributed to perhaps fewer Humans around to see Ssquatch even though they may be normally active. I don't know if it's because some haven't returned from their wintering areas yet? Seems unlikely to be the case, or entirely the case, for then there should be a drop in sightings on the other end in late Autumn after they've left.

It could be from moving young families to higher, safer ground as bears awaken and forage in the skunk cabbage around wet/water areas? IDK. Just thinking out loud. Could be a combination of factors to include avoiding biting insects too.

Edited by hiflier

Animals that perspire (humans, apes, monkeys, horses, ---) and eat plants with high sulfur concentrations produce their own insect repellent. Horses are often fed sulfur for that purpose. All types of wild onions, including garlic, are very high in the element. For hundreds of years rural folks ate sulfur powder mixed with various liquids during the summer to offer themselves protection against "skeeters", ticks, chiggers and horse and deer flies. Maybe the typical sulfide smell associated with the reclusive forest primates is a result of a diet of high sulfur plants.     

• Upvote 2

I got to thinking today about how dreadful this year is going to be for mosquitoes and then I was kind of hit in the face with another thought, could finding zones of consistent activity be a matter of finding where the bugs are the least in the forest ?

I hope to both hear from those who have some thoughts on finding areas with less bugs and from those who have some information and experience with locating core areas for sasquatch to try and gain some insight on any possible correlations.

Beyond mere annoyance, biting insects also transmits a host of illnesses. Malaria, West Nile Virus, Lime disease, the plague, and et cetera. If Bigfoot exists and are as half as intelligent as people credit them (depending on whole you ask, they range from simple people of the land that coexists with the earth peacefully to capable of building fully functioning warp cores using nothing more than mud bricks and tree vines), then they must have evolved strategies against biting bugs depending of time of year.

Interesting info, Branco, re sulpher as an insect repellant. In my AO here in the SW of BC, sulpher hotsprings are abundant, and many of the sightings reported have been within a 20 mi. radius of those springs. I had been thinking that the smell could well be from their hair having absorbed lots of sulpher from bathing in the springs, and the fact that doing so would also repel insects makes me feel that this is a good possibility. I will be paying closer attention to the hotspring sites that are the most difficult to access from now on.

This is getting even more interesting as I have read and heard about sasquatch raiding gardens in the summer months, could it be that this garden raiding is for the plants with higher sulfur content ?

It may even be worth a shot to leave out plants with higher sulfur concentrations as gifts.