Skeeters And Sasquatch

NathanFooter

I am reading a few sites that note that cabbage, broccoli, leeks, onions, cauliflower, garlic are plants with a higher sulfur concentrations and that protein sources such as fish, poultry and eggs are also high in sulfur.  

Nearly everything listed has been reported as a food item for sasquatch.

Hello NathanFooter,

Some research is showing eggs at 1662mg to hold the highest values of methionine per 200 calories. Methionine and cystiene are the primary food sources for dietary sulphur. Natave Alaska halibut is a close second at 1524mg. And guess what? Skunk Cabbage though low sits at 463mg per 200 calories. Now in the fall bears eat leaves to creat a natural colon block in preparation for hibernation and skunk cabbage has been used medicinally as a "cleanser" of sorts so bears get a two-fer when they consume the plant. The plant also generates heat with can actually melt the snow around it for early spring exposure and growth. I'm continuing my look into this to see if it controls ticks but haven't seen anything to indicate such a benefit. 

• Upvote 1

Hello NathanFooter,

I'm continuing my look into this to see if it controls ticks but haven't seen anything to indicate such a benefit. 

Sulfur has been used as a tick repellent by country folks in the South and Southeast for a LONG time. Sulfur powder was usually mixed with fine-ground talc or corn starch and dusted on the skin and clothing. Some folks mixed the sulfur with warm water, soaked their work/hunting clothes in it them, and let them dry overnight before wearing them the next day.

When there is rapid decomposition of plants, especially green algae, in swamps, oxbow lake or man made pond, there is a build up of hydrogen sulfide (the rotten egg smell) in the water. Such conditions are typical in the SE. And BF are known to walk through that kind of water to bed or eat on islands or atop beaver lodges.

Have a photo recently sent to me of a beaver lodge out in a good sized swamp. The photographer said there were about 7 deer skeletons and several raccoon and o'possum sized skeletons on it. Good photo; the lodge is nearly covered by animal hair. Bones have not been gnawed on. I'll try to get a link to the photo that was sent me, don't have permission to send a copy of the one I received.)

Edited by Branco

Hello Branco,

THAT'S what I was looking for. Thanks. At least it helps confirm that my thinking was on the right track. it took several steps in reasoning but you have just put the icing on the cake! Wow.

Edited by hiflier

Animals that perspire (humans, apes, monkeys, horses, ---) and eat plants with high sulfur concentrations produce their own insect repellent. Horses are often fed sulfur for that purpose. All types of wild onions, including garlic, are very high in the element. For hundreds of years rural folks ate sulfur powder mixed with various liquids during the summer to offer themselves protection against "skeeters", ticks, chiggers and horse and deer flies. Maybe the typical sulfide smell associated with the reclusive forest primates is a result of a diet of high sulfur plants.     

Thanks Branco,

Makes sense....and my sister said it was a sulphur cloud that descended on our heads that day...I smelled a skunky odor.  Sulphur, Oklahoma is an area of some activity I hear and even if you don't have an encounter, it's a good place to hike.

Not being smart NathanFooter, but you obviously are not familiar with something far worse than skeeters.  It is those God awful Redbugs or Chiggers as they are commonly called.  They are as small as a pinhead and they come out above 60 degrees here in the south.  They wait on tall grass and bushes for a host to brush by them.  Once you realize they are on you, its way, way too late!  You are toast!!

You break out with dots like the measles in a short time, which begin to fester and eventually form ulcer like sores.  The pain and itching will drive you crazy!  I got in them real bad once and will NEVER do that again!  It was the better part of a week before the itching subsided.  I looked like I had been shot with birdshot!  I often wonder how the Big Guys avoid this threat. 

Red bugs are absolutely the worst biting insect out there, bar none.  I say that after having walked the AT through the 100 mile wilderness of Maine during blackfly season too. Blackflies are potent, but they are at least visible, slow and the itch wanes rather quickly on comparison. A chigger bite really doesn't even begin to cook until about two-three days later. The histamine inducing ability of their bite is not to be believed, and they have the added annoyance of crawling into tight spaces, like at your beltline, under the elastic bands of clothing and under arm pits and (horror of horrors!) crotches.  As kids, we were all told the chigger crawls under your skin and stays alive, sucking out your juices like some micro-vampire. That, as it turns out, is not true, but I think it speaks well as to how long the bite lasts. We daubed clear nail polish on our chigger bites to "suffocate" them, but although this is the wrong reason to do that, it still gives a large degree of relief. You can us commercial products like Chigger-X, which are similar. I think cutting off the bite from air is the reason it works, which may have contributed to the folklore surrounding them.   

Here's another observation of practical use: Ammonium Hydroxide and mink oil. It is marketed as "After Bite" and under some other brand names. You daub a little drop of this on your bite and you are good to go. It will draw the itch out of a skeeter bite in two-shakes.

Hello WSA,

Black flies will be my greeters when I head back out in early June here in Maine. Been looking at the Thermocell as a method of relief although it can be fatal to cats. It is in the literature- but not in the advertisements.

The link below will show the photograph of a a large beaver lodge, not a dam, but a lodge out in the open water of a heavily wooded. natural lake, that I mentioned in post #33 above. The photo was taken by an excellent wildlife photograph who has made a LOT of trips into the swamp/lake in a kayak, primarily to photo cottonmouth snakes.

This is a Bigfoot "dining room" and possibly where he sleeps when the hunting seasons are open in the nearby game management areas. The remains of the numerous animal carcasses on the beaver lodge were obviously carried there by the BF wading the lake.

The Bigfoot's tracks were seen and photographed a few years ago by a BFRO field man. The BF was seen on the side of I-40 pretty recently by a witness who filed a sighting report with the BFRO. I talked to the witness and posted his report on the BFRO's public report site. A hunter filed another audible encounter report from an adjoining area. I posted his info on the BFRO public site aslo.

I have received numerous reports from that general area for years, including some from inside a small city that is apparently in that particular BF's foraging range.

I would guess that the water has a high concentration of hydrogen sulfide during the summer.

I hope the link works without having to sign in to sign in.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=448865.msg8645208#msg8645208 

Guest lightheart

The tissue sample pictured, is it just a hunk of flesh or a thumb? Any background on that Branco?

Hello WSA,

Black flies will be my greeters when I head back out in early June here in Maine. Been looking at the Thermocell as a method of relief although it can be fatal to cats. It is in the literature- but not in the advertisements.

They are tenacious little buggers, for sure. I wound up sleeping inside my 1-man tent, inside the shelters, just because of them. Gave me plenty of practice in transcending suffering, which is useful. They are big and slow though, and swattable, which is about all I can say nice about them. When they do get a chance to bite you, I swear they tear out a hunk of meat and spit into the hole they've made. 

Good luck on using that device. I was very glad to know somebody had done their homework into it, and yeah, I'm in agreement: That is a pesticide, not a repellant. Though, pyrethrin can be both. A low level dose can repel, and a higher level will be fatal to a bug.  I've known folks who swore by soaking their clothes in a dilute concentration of that and hanging them to dry. This works especially well with ticks, who usually have to crawl over your clothes to get to the goodies.

The tissue sample pictured, is it just a hunk of flesh or a thumb? Any background on that Branco?

Don't know what you mean. The only "flesh" that I could see is the hide attached to the rib bones on top of the lodge.

Branco, I tried clicking on the attachment and it would not open. There was a picture earlier in that thread with some hair and flesh that LH may be referring to.

Guest lightheart

Yes Branco. There was a pictures of supposed "bigfoot" flesh with light tan hair in the thread you posted but above what you were referencing.

OK folks, I saw on the "hogville" forum what you are talking about. The photo I hoped to show is on that same page of the "Bigfoot" thread, but below the flesh and hair. I try this link and see if it works.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=448865.msg8645208#msg8645208

Well, dadgummit, it's still messed up. Have to send my copy and credit the poster and web site.

Edited by Branco