Eye Glow Seen In New Jersey By Law Enforcement Officer

Nice report, thanks.

Unfortunately, because of glowsticks no matter how pale the light, doesn't shake me off a reflective explanation. My cat gets eyeshine off the light reflected off my face, in a dark room, from diffuse light from a room down the hall coming through a door ajar.

My encounter had glow sticks. Almost all other eyeglow encounters in that report had no glow sticks and it's my opinion that they were not enough give the amount of light that was observed.

After classifying hundreds of reports for the SSR database, I have come across many where the eyes are very reflective.

If I can use that to my advantage to recognize an encounter I will. I am still trying to work out how.

IMO, you've got to think about the eye working backwards, like a projector. Any, very diffuse form of light, even just a high sunset lit cloud near horizon, or city skyglow on horizon clouds, or possibly even starlight on the clearest nights, gets collected from a wide angle in the eye, then when that eye is focussed to see something, the light that it is not collecting from that object, is focussed back towards that object in fairly tight beam. It's at brightest, it's looking at you, it dims, it's looked or focussed away, it goes out, it's turned too much or has it's lids shut.

Think of it like this, it's freakin' dark, right, but if all the stars in your field of view were clumped together, it would make something looking pretty durned bright, and if there was something only reflecting a few percent of that, it would still look as bright as the brightest stars, maybe Venus.

The problem with perception is, that the darker it is, the more sensitive and dark adapted the human eye becomes after a while, it can detect a single photon, so even a very, very, relatively weak source or reflection looks bright. So IMO, when there's any light whatsoever, it will tend to look about equally bright to in moonlight or skyglow, just because human sensitivity improves. Most recognised "visible" stars are putting out at least a photon, otherwise we wouldn't call them visible, so if there's a mere hundred faint stars in field of view, magnitude 6, then we've got at least 100 photons available, so 1% reflection is one photon and detectable, 10% probably looks "bright".

Also IMO, the phrase "pitch black" gets misused, If you're sitting out in it an hour, and still can't see trees against sky, or faint albedo of pale gravel road, THEN it's pitch black. I take it mostly to mean, "it was darker than I'd like", or "I just blundered out of lighting in last half hour", or "I turned round from staring at camp fire".

Speculatively, if a Sas pupil can dilate as wide as 15mm, where human does 7mm, that's 4 and a half times the light collecting area, then if Sas has a retina that reflects 25% of red light incident on it, the amount of red light incident might be juuuusssst below the detection threshold of human eye, but when 4.5x concentrated and 25% reflected back, then it can be seen. Then also, maybe counter-intuitively although it's beaming 25% of that red light back, it's still "seeing" 3 times better than us in it!

Guest thermalman

Very interesting report indeed. From the BFRO report below, were any footprints found on the snow in the area of the eye shine? Or in the areas where you heard the knocks coming from, while you were snowshoeing?

"M - On March 7th and 8th six BFRO investigators gathered for a scouting weekend organized by Matt E. Camping was in a foot of snow, and temps were in the mid-teens at night. For two hours on Saturday night five investigators watched as blue and red glowing points of light played back and forth on the side of a ridge. At least three of us observed a pair of glowing blue eyes look down, faintly illuminating the snow on the slope below. It was very exciting that we were able to corroborate each other’s observations."

"FYI - the next night I was on an op with a guy who had a thermal camera. We asked him to shut it off because It was too bright."

Try and buy a view finder or sun visor hood for the thermal camera. They're available and will significantly reduce the backlight of the thermal camera. Also, try changing the color palette of the thermal camera to a lower emitting glow.

Edited by thermalman

That may be the best explanation I've heard to date... 

I want to break that down into simple terms:

1- Sas eyes are larger and gather more light than ours.

2- They can gather that light in very low ambient light conditions, and reflect back a certain percentage of that low light.

3- Humans, with eyes adjusted to the dark can see reflected light output as low as a single photon.

Conclusion: In very dark situations, with eyes adjusted, Sas eyes can appear to emit light (or Glow) in quantities that we can detect.
In less dark conditions, they may gather and reflect enough light to appear to project.

yep...

Whether that is right or wrong doesn't matter much. The main thing is that we can see them in the dark if we know how to look. Their eyes can betray them. Maybe someday there will be a specimen and the puzzle will be solved.

Edit to add: I was not at the March scouting event and have no more info than what was in the public report. I don't know if foot prints were found on the ridge. If it's where I think it was it would be unsafe for humans to go up that ridge in the snow to check.

post-21915-0-84952000-1425310532.gif

Edited by Redbone

Guest thermalman

Another thing you can try, is set the thermal camera to the black and white palette, and the saturation scale to black. By pre-setting your parameters of the thermal camera, you should be able to avoid backlighting. After, capturing your thermal image, one than can adjust and fine tune it with the thermal program provided to enhance the image.

Thermal image captured with black and white palette, and black and white saturation scaled to black, to avoid backlighting at time of image capture.

post-18306-0-42379700-1425311116.jpg

Same image adjusted with provide thermal program to thermally fine tune subject, to the palette of your choice.

post-18306-0-41730300-1425311161.jpg

Edited by thermalman

Redbone,

Thanks for all the details on that evening!  Would the orangy pink glow in the daytime just be a washed out phase of the red glow because of sunlight?

Peace

Sunflower - I was very conflicted about sharing my experience. It is MUCH farther outside my comfort zone to speculate on things like the orangy pink glow. I have never experienced that and don't have any clue how it might come about.

Redbone, that was a great report. Like others here, I'm glad you shared it. It has everything: multiple witnesses; careful observation and documentation; and follow-up investigation. I'm sad that sharing the truth requires so much courage, but in this arena, it does, and you have lots of it (courage). And your son is one lucky, awesome guy.   :)

Guest thermalman

It seems evidential collection opportunities are continually excused by claimants. If there was eyeshine, wood knocks, Etc., why was further investigation not initiated, especially with snow on the ground, which should produce solid evidence of any walking creature in existence? Is it because people are afraid of the truth, or losing their 15 minutes of fame if their story is proven false?

Guest thermalman

Where's all the supporting evidence for eye shine? Posters claim to have pictures, where are they? No tracks in the snow? Without supporting evidence it's no wonder posters get responses like this http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/47927-eye-glow-seen-in-new-jersey-by-law-enforcement-officer/?p=848551

Kudos to you for coming out! Your cast presentation is good supporting evidence, as all claims should have, and I'm not questioning it. Plussed.

Edited by thermalman

2011: http://s2.excoboard.com/BFRO/150505/2290536

UPDATE 7.9.2011: On Saturday night at location three BFRO investigator Val A. photographed red eyeglow at close range in a parking area. BFRO volunteer Tom K. was standing with her when she took the photo. Val and I have worked collaboratively for two years trying to document eyeglow and have finally succeeded. Val photographed the eyeglow with Kodak 100 speed Ektar color negative film. The exposure was f-4 at a sixtieth of a second.

"I enlarged the photo file hugely, and this is what I believe is there. The left lower edge of the eyeball is obscured by the right front hood of my SUV. You can see the outline of the hood of the car rather clearly, and see where one darkness leaves off and the other begins. This is clear in the enlargement. Also, I did inspect the car for fingerprints, and found none. I thought at the time that the squatch was in the brush next to the car, not actually next to the car. He appeared to be coming down a trail that leads into the parking lot when we appeared, and he ducked down behind the nearest obstacle that could keep us from seeing him." ~Valerie

Here is a light version of the image, showing as much detail as possible in the strange light that surrounds the eye, as well as in the eye itself.

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/...damseyeglow.jpg

Here is a darker version of the image, showing more of the color of the eye.

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/...seyeglowdrk.jpg

ValAdamseyeglowdrk.jpg

(lightened version)

ValAdamseyeglow.jpg

NurseVal
Approved

spacer.gif  minipost_read.gifPosted: July 12th, 2011 07:06 PM  Hi Cotter, let me try to answer your questions. But first know that I did not see the outline of the form of this bigfoot while the picture was taken. Have I seen full figure BF with blazing eyes in this location before? Yes, twice. But this time it was too dark, I only knew he was there because of his eyes.

I saw two big red eyes at first, as we stood at the edge of the clearing, and he looked at us. The eyes then dropped down and simultaneously moved to our right, using my vehicle as a barrier. He kept his face to us the whole time, which is why I could get the picture. I think the picture shows a slight turn of his head to his left, and his eye pupil seems to be looking a bit off to his left, also. After that, no lights. He could have turned around and gone back up the hill or whatever, we can't know because we coludn't see anything.

I don't recall any light being cast on the ground or my car. I have seen this phenomenon before and saw light "cast" around the creature's head. Now that was wild! But not this time.

I think indie farmer answered your question about the light at the top of the photo, which I also noticed. No, it was deep dusk, not quite totally dark.

There was no fog in that area at that time, as far as we could tell. I think there would have been enough light to see fog had it been there, espcially if it were low on the ground in front of the creature's eyes. Good Question!

Re reflection: I don't think we know enough yet about reflection of this light off objects. Another good question!

Thanks for your questions, you need not aologize at all. This phenomenon is very exciting, and we are just at the beginning of our endeavors to explain it. Your questions are always helpful to us.
"Who is this that lights the wigwam?
With his great eyes lights the wigwam?"
HWL, The Song of Hiawatha

Edited by Redbone
  • Upvote 1