Olympic Np Chief Ranger Admits Bf Is In Park

Explorer

Hello Derekfoot,

Thank you for following this up for us. I also find your cam story interesting and of great value. Much appreciated. 

you'd think rangers would like to drum up business for a park ..... unless their BF is  a trouble maker.

flip side is imagine drawing in some of the more colorful characters of Bfery......maybe that's what they might be trying to avoid, if theres a BF hanging around.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Yeah, campers would really appreciate midnight call blasting and BFers roaming campgrounds during the dark hours.

That's why I don't like parks, you have to camp in a approved campground........even in the back country hiking.

I have a lot of good friends in the National Park Service, from maintenance workers up to a superintendent. Certainly, not everyone who works in a given agency is perfect. It's a massive cross section of people who hold a very vast array of positions and responsibilities.

The major role of a park service employee is to protect the resource from the people, and the people from the resource. With that mission in mind, of course there are going to be much stricter regulations and rules. The Department of the Interior has a very different role than the Department of Agriculture (who controls National Forests). People often seem to get those things confused.

I think very highly of my friends in the NPS. I don't think it's fair to say that they "hire from the shallow end of the gene pool". Many of their professions require advanced education and degrees, and their LE rangers attend a federal law enforcement school. Moreover, they hire a great deal of military veterans.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add that to the discussion, and I certainly don't want to derail the thread. There's just no need to bash an entire agency and all of it's employees based on a bad experience.

A bad experience?

I know these guys, went to high school with them!

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2013/sep/17/lake-roosevelt-park-ranger-shot-man-near-son/

This was over a "disturbance call"....... The NPS administers the waters of the Columbia behind Grand Coulee dam.

The forest service doesn't go around shooting people for being too loud around a campfire.

Certainly, there are awful things that occur among any widespread profession and/or agency, but those incidents aren't representative of the entirety of the employees of that agency.

Rangers are also responsible for many heroic rescues, drug busts, and interventions. Recall the tragedy that happened at Mt. Rainier a few years back involving the gunman who killed NPS employees.

NPS LE rangers have a highly dangerous job, especially in certain parks. However, not all NPS employees are LE rangers; most of the employees at a park don't carry firearms. I was trying to illustrate the point that it's wrong to generalize an entire agency whose mission is truly a good one due to isolated incidents.

Through my experiences I have indeed met some really cool park staff and rangers.  This one in particular though was obviously on some sort of power trip.  You make a great point Matt.  Actually that was my chosen profession when I was younger, but never got to realize it.  The majority of rangers and park staff I've encountered are great, but there are those few that make you scratch your head.   I will say though I never could understand why they would not issue me a permit ...even after I fulfilled every stipulation on their applicant requirements, right down to the fine print.  It's OK though, there is more than enough National Forest to go around.  And I will say that I do in fact hide the cameras well now :D    

• 2 weeks later...

Derek,

Thanks much for the follow-up and the information provided.

I was curious if I could find anything else about Olympic NP rangers online, and I found a report that NABS (David Paulides' research group) has on its website.

The article is old, so this should not be news to many, but I wanted to post here for others who might not be aware.

Paulides found a bigfoot report from a Olympic NP ranger to the Department of the Interior.

I have no idea why a ranger will send a BF report to DOI.

It is posted on the link below (more than half way down).

http://www.nabigfootsearch.com/Bigfootdisclosureproject.html

I have spent no time vetting this article or confirming its authenticity.   I am just pointing it out.

It is just a bigfoot report from June 6, 1993. 

I looked in the BFRO and SSR databases and did not find this case.

Looks like a daylight (10 AM) case with 6 witnesses lasting 4 minutes.

It is hard to read, so the article is attached as picture below so folks can expand it.

post-18859-0-17738300-1406333971_thumb.j

Interesting read, the report is similar to all other reports with one exception.. stating they had possibly seen a tail

Edited by Wheellug

My post above was not clear.

The Olympic NP bigfoot incident report was written by a NP ranger but the eyewitness (who was interviewed) was not a ranger.

The eyewitnesses were just regular park visitors who were camping.

I've never seen that. Thanks for posting, Explorer!  I guess that's the first report I have read that mentions a tail. Is sending the report to the DOI what a ranger (one who wasn't worried about repercussions of making a report in the first place) would normally do?

When we were in Olympic National Park back in 1982, my friend Andy spent some time with a Native American NPS ranger who assured him that the big guy was out there, and played him a vocalization recording that, well, pretty much converted Andy.  We haven't been in regular touch for some time now.  But I'm gonna make a note to remind him about that.

My post above was not clear.

The Olympic NP bigfoot incident report was written by a NP ranger but the eyewitness (who was interviewed) was not a ranger.

The eyewitnesses were just regular park visitors who were camping.

Makes sense.  I've worked with lots of ranger types here in Ontario.  It's only campers and mostly young city ones who report bf sightings on the internet.  

t.