Primate Arm Found

Guest lightheart

well, we at least we know how to get a one armed squatch out of a tree now...... wave at him ;)

seriously though, i'll guess escaped exotic pet , chimp orang, etc......but would love to be wrong about that.

• Upvote 1

well, we at least we know how to get a one armed squatch out of a tree now...... wave at him ;)

seriously though, i'll guess escaped exotic pet , chimp orang, etc......but would love to be wrong about that.

LOL

I agree, just have to wait and see.

Guest Migrantworkers

A) even if it turns out to be a chimp it will at least show that The Browns are out and looking AND have the resources to get any evidence or hopeful evidence tested

B) how does one get on a two post per day restriction and why would one not be told how they earned such a distinction?

Hello lightheart,

LOL! Oh I'm just trying to inject a bit of drama and all. Yes, I did go to the site after the link was posted and nearly all the bases are covered there. Can't fault someone whose pulse jumped for a few seconds can we ;)

@ ItsAsquatch,

Hey there, how are things? Yeah I thought that too. Someone who maybe had one as a pet and all. I did notice the fore arm bones appeared quite small, 6-7 inches only? Long metacarpals though.

how you been hiflier ? im ok things could be better but ill be alright!good to see u still around

From the way it reads, I'm not sure Stacey is the one who found it. It says they "received" it. I will see what else I can find out.

I am also wondering why we didn't hear about the trackway... 

I'm discussing the arm bones photo with Prof. Todd Disotell of New York University now.

skunkapearm.jpg

He has been sent 7 hi-res scans by Stacy Brown Jr which he will not be able to examine until tomorrow.

My original impression when examining the above photo was that it was the arm of an orangutan based on the size and morphology of the radius and ulna...

sc-002-67-as-lg.jpg

Disotell has a different first impression on what the bones are. I will wait until he has been able to properly examine the hi-res images to share his opinion. 

Hello ItsAsquatch,

Good to see you still around too bud.

@kitakaze,

Thank you. At first I thoiught the ratio between the ulna/radius and the humerus was a bit off for Orangutan but ICBW. Whatever the creature was it appears to be fairly small. No more than perhaps three feet in height? I appreciate you helping out with updates. And a good reminder on the destruction at zoos and keepers remaining on site for survival.

Edited by hiflier

It looks like a smaller primate arm.  The forearm is quite short - the entire are seems to be quite short in fact, but the fingers seem to be very long in comparison.  The first bone of the fingers seem to be longer in comparison to that of the orangutang pic posted above.  The finger bones are quite long in comparison to the rest of the arm also.  DNA will be the ultimate determinant of course.