Bigfoot, Fire, Weapons, Tools And Other Oddities

Ya know one thing that always pops into my mind when I read the reports of the people seeing a creature approaching their car or peeking in their window...I guess it is the cop in me...but I can't imagine getting drunk enough are even spun out on crank enough to say, "hey, I am gonna put this suit on and go scare the crap out of some people by peeking into their house, or walk up to a car...

Even the biggest idiot in the world is going to have the little voice crying in his head telling him he is taking a serious risk of getting shot...isn't he?

Are there really that many hoaxers out there willing to risk their lives in rural or other areas where they are trying to hoax an armed populace?

I always wonder about that.

July 2002

George Washington State Park, Rhode Island 1:30A

A 26-year-old herpetology enthusiast was alone in the woods close to a dirt road than ran along the periphery of the park. He was using a flashlight in order to locate any reptiles or amphibians when he smelled a stench resembling that of rotting meat. He thought it was a dead dear when he heard a bizarre vocalization or scream that appeared to come from a good distance away. But soon the sound seemed to get louder and closer, each time he heard it, it seemed much closer. In a panic he ran down the dirt path to his parked, closely followed by screams and the sounds of tree limbs snapping. He jumped into his car and drove onto the road, as he turned around in a clearing his headlights caught sight of a huge figure in the road just ahead. The creature was about 7-8 ft tall, covered with dark brown hair with some bald patches. The face was that of a deformed human. The witness drove up to it and the creature ran into the woods. The witness thought that the creature moved like a man was intent in harming him.

Source: Oregon Bigfoot

Edited by Gumshoeye

Motorist, Different Species

June 18, 2014

Gregory County, South Dakota

About dusk the witness was driving north on Route 1806 and very near the intersection with Route 44, near Missouri River Bridge on Route 44. As he drove towards the intersection, there are a group of trees near the roadway on the left. It was not completely dark yet, but he had his headlights on. He noticed sudden movement on the shoulder to his left, then something large crossed the road about 50 ft. in front of his truck and jumped into a gully on the right of the witness. He caught a quick look at an upright “man-beastâ€. This is the best he can describe it. It was tall and powerful sparse of dark fur, very dark or black skin with a man’s face. That is all he saw of it. It stood about 7 foot, maybe more. He pulled onto the shoulder after he had turned right at the intersection. He stood at his door looking in the direction this “man-beast†left the road. He had a weird sensation, and was a little scared. He got back into his truck and continued on his way home.

Source: Phantoms and Monsters Blog

Farm, Different Species With Horns

March 2004

Washakie County, Wyoming 6:30P

John Lind reported that a large brown colored creature had been chasing his cows. Lind described the creature as having very shiny hair and a huge head; it also had 2 very small horns right above the eyes. The creature probably weighed about 600 pounds and was at least 8 feet tall. There were a lot of trees and the ground was very muddy by Lind apparently did not find any footprints.

Source: http://www.n2.net/prey/bigfoot

Motorist, Car Strike BF

December 2003

Ohio 9:00P

Angela and a friend had spent all day at the hospital where Angela’s daughter had undergone surgery after visiting hours the two women set off for home. After rounding the corner, the women noticed a dead cat lying on the shoulder of the road. In the next instant, a “giant, white creature†appeared in the front of their car. The car struck the creature, bouncing up and over its body. A terrible smell overwhelmed the women, sickening them so much that they fled the scene. Upon reaching the nearest gas station, the women made an astounding discovery –the journey had taken 90 minutes too long. The dumb founded women were certain the animal they had struck was neither a cow nor human. Angela later found white hairs on the tailpipe of the car.

Source: Lisa A. Sheil 2007

Edited by Gumshoeye

Ya know one thing that always pops into my mind when I read the reports of the people seeing a creature approaching their car or peeking in their window...I guess it is the cop in me...but I can't imagine getting drunk enough are even spun out on crank enough to say, "hey, I am gonna put this suit on and go scare the crap out of some people by peeking into their house, or walk up to a car...

Even the biggest idiot in the world is going to have the little voice crying in his head telling him he is taking a serious risk of getting shot...isn't he?

Are there really that many hoaxers out there willing to risk their lives in rural or other areas where they are trying to hoax an armed populace?

We had some kids running across the highway in front of cars in a ape suit........not all of us are immune to the Darwin Award.

Luckily a Deputy stopped and pursued on foot, easily catching the blind tripping buffoon in the suit, but his buddies fled into the forest.

We had some kids running across the highway in front of cars in a ape suit........not all of us are immune to the Darwin Award.

Luckily a Deputy stopped and pursued on foot, easily catching the blind tripping buffoon in the suit, but his buddies fled into the forest.

Baring the very insane or the stupidly eccentric, I do believe many of the reports are genuinely what they are …. Statements are made without malice in moments of exigency meaning; they were said in moments of duress without forethought such as this:

Charlevoix County

Female driving on a two lane country road when a "thick hairy man size of three football player’s Bigfoot bolts out from the bushes causing her to swerve and crash, and tries to pepper spray the bigfoot creature.

Schoolcraft County, Michigan

A woman and her baby pull into a roadside rest area and go to sleep and are awakened by smells, large dark brown Bigfoot looking gazing in windshield.

Norseman I wasn't excluding the idea altogether. I've personally witnessed Darwin Award worthy performances in action too many times to do that...I just don't think we can dismiss all of the reports we have, or even a big chunk of them, on those folks giving a command performance.

Unfortunately, are that many people who think its "neat" to slide down the chimney dressed as santa and surprise the kids who have to be rescued - or worse - are discovered years later by the chimney sweep.  No doubt there are a few teenagers every year somewhere that get the idea to prank their neighbors, but you're right to express doubt that this could explain so many sightings.

Norseman I wasn't excluding the idea altogether. I've personally witnessed Darwin Award worthy performances in action too many times to do that...I just don't think we can dismiss all of the reports we have, or even a big chunk of them, on those folks giving a command performance.

You're absolutely right; when plotted and diagnosed, road crossing (or paralleling) encounters don't match that theory. Am I right that when a criminal is succesful w/a crime, they pull the same crime again, and again, until they get caught? If a hoaxer successfully got one person to call the police or submit a report by running across the road whilst dressed as Chewbaca, what are they gonna' do?  Run across the road a few weeks later. 

Despite the number of available reports and the tendency to group them by county, most encounters are far apart both by distance and time.  Why would a hoaxer pull a hoax one time, then wait 5-10 years and travel 30 miles away to pull that hoax?  Why would two separate people, separated by 5-10 years and 30 miles, get the same idea to hoax a bigfoot encounter in a substantially similar way, and each do it only once.

In fact, a large number of claimed encounters in a short time and small geographic area - like people repeatedly seeing bigfoot on one specific stretch of road in a very short period of time - might be evidence of an ongoing fraud.  

I got it and thank you for making that point clear.

Hiking, Tracks,  Bigfoot Wearing Clothes 

Vacherie, Louisiana

Local resident Frederick Kliebert who was “well known in the community†reported encountering a giant in the nearby swamp forest. He was greatly surprised when he saw approaching and passing within 15 steps of him a huge man of around nine feet in height, covered by a long black beard. He wore a kind of cloak of fur of a brownish color which seemed to be attached only by a rope around the neck. The rest of the body was naked and covered with red hair. Mr Kliebert asked him who he was and where he was from three times but the giant gave him no response and then continued his fast walk with a sad serious look towards the west. Tracks 23 inches long were found.

Source: Along the River Road, Past and Present on Louisiana’s Historic Byway, 1996. Mary Ann Sternburg

Edited by Gumshoeye

^^ 

This is another interesting report in that the witness may be misidentifying, due to shock, what he is seeing.  Assuming for the sake of argument that there were no 9-feet tall (or even 8-feet tall, allowing for bad ID, exaggeration over time, etc) people walking around in 1891, what was the witness mistaking for clothes? 

Was the cloak of brownish-colored fur the animals natural pelt, rather than a garment?

What natural object or animal feature explains the rope? Or is it rather that the creature ran into a rope somewhere & it was still clinging to the fur?  

There's a similar report in 2000 or so out of Delaware County (NY) - I may have mentioned it a few pages back in this thread - where a woman saw a bigfoot with a "silver belt" around its waist and a dagger or knife - was she just seeing a fish that Bigfoot was holding, or wet patches of fur (this bigfoot was near a river) that she mistook for a belt and knife.

This report is also somewhat interesting in that it reflects three distinct colors - a black beard, red hair covering the body, and a brown cloak.  I believe that most reports identify at most two colors - either the witness is not sure and offering an alternative or there's a base-color (e.g., brown) that's tinged, flecked, streaked or otherwise modified. 

All? No. We have accounts of LE that refuse to get out of the car much less a foot pursuit.

I think you see that all over in all sectors too, so let’s be frank about it but there are plenty that don’t fall into that example either.

Well those are the ones that get my attention the most. If a cop is too scared to get out of his vehicle? It probably wasn't a kid in a Halloween suit.

In keeping with the “oddities†thread of Bigfoot reports I thought this was interesting. In the following few minutes it takes to read this post, I will tell you of a hunter who says he seen something he’ll never forget.

2005 December

Oklahoma

A hunter says that while he was hunting he noticed deer watching or listening to something he had not yet seen or heard. Shortly thereafter he heard movement in the woods and observed some animals black in color with white on their chest… Whatever they were they smaller than deer, and he believed them to be pigs. Although he wasn’t positive he referred to them as such again later in his report. Nevertheless, as he continues to watch he spots a “big†man-like figure leading this small band of pigs and thinks there are “hillbillies or other hunters,†and rises up to yell something out but thinks better of it. He hears something causing his attention to turn in another direction and sees a second man-like figure and then two more appear from other directions. Seeing this it causes him great concern and he is flees for his truck.  

GCBFR