Campsite Destroyed

Leaftalker I grant no one power over me, and we will have to agree to disagree on outing hoaxers.

In every field of endeavor there are people who play outside the rules, if the honest folks don't out the dishonest ones then everyone suffers. Perhaps a "Hall of Shame" isn't necessary, but if the good guys don't shun the bad guys then how do the outsiders know the difference?

Professional Integrity is a critical component in defining the profession. Self-policing is good for the health of the profession.

I think that axiom can be healthy for those involved the study of BF as well.

I was also pushing the use of the field notebook in some earlier thread, I think this is another example of how important note taking is.

Accepting that they had an encounter of some kind (and I am still not convinced the whole thing is a sham), then if Wes and Woody had gathered themselves as soon as they got home and took the time to sit down, each working independently and alone, and write down the basics....who, what, when, where, how, and why, and complete descriptions, in a chronological order, this wouldn't be a bone of contention. They would probably have discovered other information they've now lost, and having the event documented and memorialized would have gone a long way towards eliminating this mess. It would also have shut down one avenue of attack used by people who simply seek to distort the facts and spread disinformation.

Since the art of actually putting a pen to a sheet of ruled paper seems to be well on it's way to becoming a lost art I'd suggest we all consider buying a small digital recorder you can carry in your pocket, then you can do the same thing in your own words  and transcribe it later or have someone do it for you when you return from the field. I still am not someone who is willing to place complete faith in the digital world, tho. So get it transcribed.

Locking Steelcase File Cabinets have a excellent track record of not crashing, frying a widget, or otherwise not being able to retrieve a document once it is placed inside.

Of course, I may just be old. :D

'A good radio show.....'. With unfortunately several dubious elements attached.

Surprising to see so many members of this forum go to such lengths to protect the integrity of someone who has led them up the garden path.

Haven't we learned anything from the Dyer and Standing episodes? The Sasquatch Chronicles guys may be slightly more subtle than the proponents mentioned previously but should be eyed with at least a healthy dose of suspicion by all at this moment in time.

I am not so astonished that so many of these forums go to such great lengths to protect the integrity of someone who has led up the garden path, as I am surprised to see a few clinging to skepticism, seeing negativity and guilt around every corner. I may be the oddball here but, having served 25 ½ in criminal justice related areas I still hold true to the premise and principles of innocent until proven guilty. This isn't a fox hunt, these human beings with real lives we're talking about, and so far there is no proof beyond circumstantial evidence and heresay.

This story doesn't quite give me confidence in its authenticity. It kind of sounds like an agenda driven parable, which goes something like this:  I am not forced to pay for anything, and yet I enter into an agreement to listen for a fee. I disregard Caveat emptor, “Let the buyer beware,†and pay seven dollars a month. When I have second thoughts, when I consumed the goods I then stand up and beat my chest and wail about the inequities of entering into a premium pay-to-listen proposition when they were told upfront, when you could have listened for free.

I for one will not be party to discrediting anyone especially based solely on circumstantial evidence. This isn't mob rule. Maybe that works someplace else but as bad as things have become lately, we’re still nation of laws here.

Just as you cannot go to a restaurant and order everything on menu until you swell, get your $84.00 dollar bill then argue the food wasn’t what you expected and demand a right leave without paying … Nor do you hop in a cab and ride to run up an $84.00 dollar fare and decide you’re not responsible for the fare because the driver doesn’t enunciate a word or phrase of words exactly to your liking … When I demand full return of my money and don’t get it, I jump aboard a forum and create torrent of rumors innuendos about falsehoods and attempt to persuade others join this cause through guilt.  

Sorry people I won’t be a part of any of it and will continue listening for free.

Edited by Gumshoeye

'A good radio show.....'. With unfortunately several dubious elements attached.

Surprising to see so many members of this forum go to such lengths to protect the integrity of someone who has led them up the garden path.

Haven't we learned anything from the Dyer and Standing episodes? The Sasquatch Chronicles guys may be slightly more subtle than the proponents mentioned previously but should be eyed with at least a healthy dose of suspicion by all at this moment in time.

I personally don't feel I have done more than point out that there is no definitive proof that the brothers fabricated their story. Not going along with the crowd doesn't make me misguided, neither does reserving judgement. I don't support hoaxers and I certainly don't give them a pass. At the moment, I just don't see a reason to label these guys as out and out liars. Yes it is always good to question things, but it is equally as important to keep an open mind. Just my thoughts. 

^^^

Good point, I was remiss in not making that point clear from the onset but I also hold little patience for hoaxers and strongly feel we give too much attention to hoaxer’s period.  

Guest ChasingRabbits

Regarding weather.....where I live due to the geography, we have "microclimates". This gets really interesting because I live about 7 miles from "official" NWS weather station for the greater metro area.   The last snow we got (March 12, 2015), the official snow amount for the area was 4.6 inches. My back yard got 6 3/4 inches. I'm not sure if Washington State has "microclimates" or what's the nearest official NWS weather station for that area of Wes and Woody's sighting is.

Anyhow, hopefully when the dust settles, the podcast will continue.

Editing to add....

There's a difference between "skeptics" and "debunkers". Skeptics are on the fence about a subject, requiring evidence to make up their minds. Debunkers, however, go out of their way to prove something is false and/or take the initial position that something is false.  I'm a skeptic, but I'm not a debunker.

Edited by ChasingRabbits

I don't think this is a witch hunt but merely an attempt to get at the truth.  If people are making up reports for profit or fame, it will only hurt themselves in the long run and cast doubt on everyone who reports a sighting.

I feel the email is the key to the date of the sighting and knowing that WA weather tends to be on the rainy side I checked a website to see what was going on in that area on the nights of November 15 and 16, 2012.  Rainy and foggy the 15th and overcast at 2:00 a.m. on the 16th.

http://www.friendlyforecast.com/usa/archive/archive.php?region=WA&id=321113&?-Forecast-Lewisville-Washington&date=20121116000000&sort=hour

That's funny, because the forecast I check for the night of 16th into early morning of 17th showed partly/scattered clouds and no rain.

But weather forecasts are always entirely accurate right? <wink wink >

Well, in all fairness rainy and foggy and/or overcast on moonless nights make things much brighter, not darker...

I seemed to have been checking a different date than you.  Since their email was sent on the 16th referencing the night before it would have been the forecast beginning at midnight the 16th and not midnight the 17th.  As weather patterns differ widely in mountainous states and WA has such a variety of zones, I tried to zero in on a city.

BFF Patron

Washington has many microclimates and such things as rain shadows because of the topography.     Places on the West Flanks of the Cascades can get inches more rain for a given rain event than flat land weather reporting which is primarily centered around major airports.     Most weather reporting stations are associated with aviation and coastal weather for mariners.     Often Portland Oregon which is about 25 miles away will be reporting only a slight chance of rain when it is pouring where I live near the Cascade foothills.   Inland valleys can have dense fog, and temperatures in the 40s and a few miles away, a 1000 feet higher in the Cascade foothills and mountains,  it can be sunny and in the mid 50s.    

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Guest ChasingRabbits

Washington has many microclimates and such things as rain shadows because of the topography.     Places on the West Flanks of the Cascades can get inches more rain for a given rain event than flat land weather reporting which is primarily centered around major airports.     Most weather reporting stations are associated with aviation and coastal weather for mariners.     Often Portland Oregon which is about 25 miles away will be reporting only a slight chance of rain when it is pouring where I live near the Cascade foothills.   Inland valleys can have dense fog, and temperatures in the 40s and a few miles away, a 1000 feet higher in the Cascade foothills and mountains,  it can be sunny and in the mid 50s.    

Thanks for that info.

BFF Patron

Thanks for that info.

The last time I went camping last fall, there was no forecast for rain, so I went camping.     Sure enough,  at Trout Lake, near Mt Adams,   it rained on me and very few other places in Washington.     Of course I have a history of being a rain magnet when I camp.    I have thought about renting myself out to drought stricken farmers.    Just having me set up camp, will almost ensure it rains no matter what the forecast.  

I don't think this is a witch hunt but merely an attempt to get at the truth.  If people are making up reports for profit or fame, it will only hurt themselves in the long run and cast doubt on everyone who reports a sighting.

I feel the email is the key to the date of the sighting and knowing that WA weather tends to be on the rainy side I checked a website to see what was going on in that area on the nights of November 15 and 16, 2012.  Rainy and foggy the 15th and overcast at 2:00 a.m. on the 16th.

http://www.friendlyforecast.com/usa/archive/archive.php?region=WA&id=321113&?-Forecast-Lewisville-Washington&date=20121116000000&sort=hour

And if I am understanding correctly.... this was what actually happened in the area (weather-wise)  as opposed to a weather forecast....

• Upvote 1

SWWASP -  I loved Seattle and Tacoma, pristine landscapes, clean air and its perpetual state of springtime, and even thought seriously about making it my home but the rain absolutely did not agree with my sinuses. I drove across the northwest from my hometown in Midwest in the winter, and I can tell you it was a ride through the Cascades unfit for the weak hearted.

BFF Patron

Depends on what sets your sinuses off.   Some people who have issues in dry climate like myself have less problems here.    Where I grew up in far Eastern Oregon I had allergies all summer.   It is dry and dusty.     I used to have two months of absolute misery in California in March and April when the fruit and nut trees blossom out.     Not an issue here in Western WA.    Fur tree pollen can be coating things yellow and I am still pretty good.  Frequent spring rains sort of clean the air out every few days.    Sort of an individual allergy issue for a lot of people.   

Many people who move up from California have issues with depression here in the winter.    At times you can go a week or two without seeing the sun.    Not this winter.    Lots of sunshine and mild temperatures.   I would imagine BF were enjoying the winter.   They will pay for that later with lack of water from snow melt.