Campsite Destroyed

<I think that the lack of any legit evidence and the intense "want" by believers for animal to be real is used by many "researchers". Some use it to gain attention, some to start paid podcast shows/sites; could this story be a little of both??>

LV0m4BLmvL2oM.gif

• Upvote 1

Guest Divergent1

But watch how some of the posters around here want to discount common sense, it boggles my befuddled mind.

There was an old tv show called the x-files. The male lead had this "I want to believe" poster on a wall in his basement office. That poster informed the characters entire world view. Everything was seen through that skein. The-X-FILES-I-want-to-believe-poster-for

If that UFO image was replaced by a sasquatch, I think it would apply to many, many in the field. That's the challenge, remaining objective.

Guest ChasingRabbits

But watch how some of the posters around here want to discount common sense, it boggles my befuddled mind.

Common sense is as much a logic fallacy as the argumentum ad auctoritatem. Boogles my mind people don't know that......

Guest ChasingRabbits

argumentum ad verecundiam. same same as auctoritatem

which is the same as argument from authority, which is an informal logic fallacy of the "red herring" type.

Moving on............

Edited by ChasingRabbits

The only Dr. H.A. Miller, I was able to find, with an association to Harvard, was a sociology professor in the early 1900's. There is a reference of a Dr. HA Miller having something to do with "Hepaticae" in the mid 1950-60's. However, there's no record I could find of his partcipation with anything involving the federal government or Bigfoot.

In my younger years, I spent some time hunting in and around Bandera, TX. There are plenty of deer, small ones at that, but lots of them. Could there be Bigfoot in that area? I suppose there could be but it's in the TX, Hill Country and lots of human activity, in particular hunters and ranchers. I would expect a much higher number of sighting reports than what's actually listed in databases.

Linda Newton Perry has been known to have a flair for the sensational. A while back ago, she had a "team" of men that had all sorts of evidence about a real Bigfoot. Later on, it was proven these men were not real and the images she'd provided, of the men, were from some stock photos of a rodeo.

I don't think she invents this stuff but rather is easily convinced of authenticity without taking the time to look into or investigate the things she hears or are sent to her. That being said, she runs a blog and its all about "looks, hits and links," and its a business, not unlike SC. The more people look or listen, the more money made from advertising.

Its in her best interest in put out info that's sensational and draws in readers. It's all about entertainment.

I'll keep looking for the Dr. H.A. Miller and his work with Bigfoot through the federal government but don't expect to find anything of note.

Cisco, there are more encounter reports in central Texas than database searches would indicate.  It's not like East Texas or the PNW, but an occasional Sasquatch seems to get lost and end up there a few times a year :D

which is the same as argument from authority, which is an informal logic fallacy of the "red herring" type.

Moving on............

Raymond Smullyan (methinks) agrees......

Fraudsters abound in general society, but the crypto field is a fertile ground for them.  The crypto field is full of open-minded people in general, some open to anything.  The general population, though stupid as all get out, rolls their eyes at Bigfoot and aliens.  On the other hand, the crypto field has plenty of people of who believe bigfoot was dropped here by aliens to mine gold and has telepathic abilities.  I can't say they're wrong, but you have to be pretty darned open-minded to even consider that idea.  That creates the perfect environment for those wanting attention or cash.  Many people thrive on attention, so never underestimate it's value as a reason to do anything.  It has been reason enough for many to commit heinous crimes.

Adding a conspiracy is guaranteed to bring in more.  The FEMA camp folks, who may not even be that interested in Sasquatch, will flock right to anything which seems to back up their position that there are dark forces in helicopters waiting to crush anyone not in lock-step with the new world order.  It provides the fraudsters with an excuse for everything lacking in their narrative.  No bodies, the G took them.  No pics, the G took them.  Story changes, the G forced it.  No further explanation, the G won't let me talk.  Arrested for crack possession, the G planted it to shut me up.  It cannot be proven wrong and will always strike a chord among those who feel persecuted, which is a large number of people who made bad decisions in life and blame it on something out of their control.

As I've said before in this thread, this is not directed at Bob Garrett and I can't say any of those apply in this instance.  But, I think in general they are issues the crypto field will continually face.  While some will lament the scrutiny within the inner sanctum of Bigfootology, the above issues may necessitate that scrutiny.  As an example, I think it was a positive thing that the BFRO immediately called BS on Dyer.  That organization sort of has the ear of the public and was familiar with Dyer's hoaxing.  It's unfortunate if honest people get caught in that net of suspicion, but who better than Squatchers to notice when the facts don't seem to match the typical encounter?  We, as a group, just need to keep our own egos in check.  That's a problem :)

Not here nor on any other site I've skimmed. no verifiable information of any sort. This one is just an argument from authority, assuming the point of view that B.G. has credibility. I would posit that B.G.'s claims are fantastic and unverified. Loads of blob squatch photos, etc. And I think he's the one with the "stealth" squatch in the "Three Miles In" video. 

Using an argument from authority is generally a logical fallacy and that is assuming that the authority cited is credible. In the case of the tx campsite story, there should be publically available corroborating evidence. Absence of  this evidence, we're told, doesn't mean that the story is a lie. Rather, we're asked to believe that there is a conspiracy by the 'gubermint to shut down B.G.'s research and harass he and his family. 

I'm not a therapist but doesn't it seem a lot more likely that the fella' has some sort of persecution complex or personality disorder?

I'm not a cop or an attorney but doesn't a lack of any corroboration point less to conspiracy by the government and more toward a bald-faced lie? And a knowing lie, I mean one which relies on/feeds from a distrust of the government, to work?

Honestly. I think the cryptid field attracts people who distrust "the party line" be it by the government, the church, the main stream. I think that the lack of any legit evidence and the intense "want" by believers for the animal to be real is used by many "researchers". Some use it to gain attention, some to start paid podcast shows/sites; could this story be a little of both??

Now that’s industrial strength confabulation Bodhi! That really takes the prize so far for biggest responsibility dodging excuse but then forget about a Sasquatch podcast radio making money isn’t that what the insurance industry is all about? It is like in insurance, they can give me a million reasons why they aren’t buying a claim, but what people really don’t understand is it’s just a prolific  industrial-strength excuse making industry driven by greed and money. And you think the cryptid field attracts people who distrust the “party line†?  Oh good grief almighty!  Oh my …. I’m moving on folks.  LOL.

A lot of Bigfootery is saturated excuses. Excuses are convenient tools that allow us to deny responsibility and avoid that which is uncomfortable most. This topic is uncomfortable for some people. Shovel through your post and read the comments.  The cryptid field attracts people who distrust the “party line.†Yeah and I guess there are lots of reasons to trust the G lately right?  LOL …  

Edited by Gumshoeye

How did the insurance industry get brought into this? Are they MIB? Because the guy I get mine from looks kind of fishy.

• Upvote 1

I just finished listening to SC episode 48. The intro is Wes discussing the direction of the show and the last 30 minutes is Shannon's news segment. If you take Wes' intro and Shannon's segment about what Todd Standing and his ilk do, it's almost an wierd foreshadowing of events.

BFF Patron

Fraudsters abound in general society, but the crypto field is a fertile ground for them. ......

As an example, I think it was a positive thing that the BFRO immediately called BS on Dyer.  That organization sort of has the ear of the public and was familiar with Dyer's hoaxing.  It's unfortunate if honest people get caught in that net of suspicion, but who better than Squatchers to notice when the facts don't seem to match the typical encounter?  We, as a group, just need to keep our own egos in check.  That's a problem :)

Funny though that the BFRO and Finding Bigfoot was about a year behind the BFF in exposing Standings shenanigans, and then cashed in on that face to face with Standing on Animal Planet to rub it in ex post facto.....,  Todd had to know it was coming by then, I'm quite sure.  Then Meldrum, Bindernagel and Stroud pick up the regimental flag and boost his butt again, only in Bigfoot, only in Bigfoot.  To keep on thread, Standings vid. of the flare defense of his campsite by invading BF was the best entertainment I've ever seen by a hoaxer with the exception made if  Dyer integrated his flaming RV on a Florida roadside into a BF episode that I missed somehow

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

Now that’s industrial strength confabulation Bodhi! That really takes the prize so far for biggest responsibility dodging excuse but then forget about a Sasquatch podcast radio making money isn’t that what the insurance industry is all about? It is like in insurance, they can give me a million reasons why they aren’t buying a claim, but what people really don’t understand is it’s just a prolific  industrial-strength excuse making industry driven by greed and money. And you think the cryptid field attracts people who distrust the “party line†?  Oh good grief almighty!  Oh my …. I’m moving on folks.  LOL.

A lot of Bigfootery is saturated excuses. Excuses are convenient tools that allow us to deny responsibility and avoid that which is uncomfortable most. This topic is uncomfortable for some people. Shovel through your post and read the comments.  The cryptid field attracts people who distrust the “party line.†Yeah and I guess there are lots of reasons to trust the G lately right?  LOL …  

I'm sorry but I don't know what you're talking about.