Urban Bigfoot Seriously?(2)

Guest Admin

Wow it makes perfect sense, so many hotels sit adjacent to forested tracks, mainly on the outskirts of towns off the highway, and that is a perfect opportunity to see one. The elevation probably helped him pick this one out, and I might make it a point to stay at that exact hotel next trip to Florida, I will be heading down in March again and that is a great stopping point, just gotta get a room facing the trails. It might be a shot in the dark, but you gotta take a lot of shots in the dark to hit the correct target.  So who wants to write the Squatchiest Motels in America travel guide?

JKH, I understand your feelings about the Falcon Project, and yes it is an evidence gathering venture, but for the non

believers that is about all we can hope to produce, and it "might" garner interest from the scientific community to further

study the creatures, and that might just lead to them being protected and understood.  My feeling is that these creatures

are relic hominids, not human per say, but more intelligent than the great apes and less intelligent than humans by how

we define intelligence.  They have habits that can be understood, they can be studied and proven to be real, this is not

merely a researchers pipe dream, they are flesh and blood and are subject to all the known laws of the universe, this will

allow them to be discovered, and then all the talk of them being imaginary or supernatural will fall by the wayside.  We will

simply know them as Sasquatch, the real and living creatures that roam America's forests and beyond.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

A few years ago, I read a fascinating interview,  in a magazine, about a Bigfoot hunter in Florida that made it his life's work to track down a BF and see it with his own two eyes. This man approached the challenge in a very methodical manner and came to the conclusion that BF came much closer to towns and cities than was otherwise believed. He obtained aerial maps and started examining the green ways, in his area, and developed a plan to start monitoring these areas. He spent years doing this and came across all sorts of evidence but never laid eyes on one.

Eventually, he comes to the conclusion they were being drawn to the edges of towns, to raid garbage cans and dumpsters. He then focuses on a fast food restaurant with dumpsters in the back, which happen to be right next to a green way. He sets up a simple alarm system, a can full of pebbles, then baits the inside of the dumpster with food or some liquid, I can't recall the specifics, but I do remember he intended to fill the bait with a really strong tranquilizer. He then finds a place behind another dumpster and starts to play the waiting game. He may even have been armed but I'd have to go back and reread the interview in this magazine.

After a period of time, could have been weeks or months, sure enough, he hears the can with pebbles fall off the dumpster, he sneaks around the side of the dumpster, and there's a huge Bigfoot, standing inside the dumpster. Now, here's the interesting/ scary part, the BF turns around and sees him, the man described the look on its face as nothing but pure rage and hatred. It was as if the BF knew he'd been outsmarted and was enraged that somebody had outwitted him. The BF then jumps straight out of the dumpster, without the assistance of holding onto the edge, and starts to move towards this man. This man said he felt nothing but terror and total regret, for trying to capture this animal. He closed his eyes, a few minutes went by and when he opened his eyes again, the BF had left. That day, he retired from BF tracking and never messed with it again. He believes they want to be left alone and playing around with them is a good way to get killed.

I'll try to find this article and add it to my post. I found it a while back ago and should have bookmarked it. Regardless, I found the guys email and sent him a message, asking about the incident. He was very polite but he told me, in no uncertain terms, he would never get involved with BF again and nor would he give details as to the location where this encounter happened.

The entire article was very logical and his methodology in trying to find BF, in urban areas, close to green ways, has always made a lot of sense to me. I am confident these animals could easily use green ways to get into just about any part of a city or town, without being seen.

Edited by Cisco

Might very well be something to that, up in here in Michigan a few years ago, a young employee throwing trash out at local rib house was frightened back inside when looked up, and noticed a large hairy bipedal animal rooting around eating some discarded rib bones …. maybe some shrimps and other garbage too.

Edited by Gumshoeye

Ok, I had bookmarked it... Here's the original article I described in an earlier post.

In the early-morning blackness, partially bathed in a Hollywood-weird glow of incandescent light and rolling fog, Dan Jackson slowly uncoiled from a half-hour crouch in his hiding place behind a garbage Dumpster.

What he saw, the very thing he had spent 20 years looking for, was so terrifying, Jackson would see it in his broken sleep for months.

A dark, hairy head. Glistening black eyes. A mouth full of bared teeth clenched in rage.

''He was huffing like a **** freight train,'' recalled Jackson, a venomous-snake expert from Lithia, who claims he came face to face with a fearsome creature he once didn't believe existed.

''In November 1983, if you had asked me whether I believed in Bigfoot or Sasquatch, I would have said, 'You mean that thing Hollywood made movies about? Are you crazy? No, of course not,''' says Jackson, an experienced outdoorsman who trapped alligators before he began extracting venom from snakes.

His opinion changed on a hog-hunting trip in a bayhead of sawgrass and cypress bog near Naples.

Jackson was tracking a ''bunch of hogs'' he had spooked when he became a believer.

''As I was looking into the sun, I saw a dark object about 150 yards away. I thought, 'Good, I'm going to have bear steaks tonight.' That's when what I thought was a bear, turned out wasn't a bear,'' Jackson recalls. ''It had been bending over, then it turned at the waist and looked at me. It had a black face and black eyes. It stood up and turned and walked on two legs right into the bayhead.''

Jackson was momentarily paralyzed with fear.

''It scared me so bad, I forgot I had a shotgun in my hands. It wasn't a gorilla, and it wasn't a chimpanzee,'' Jackson said. ''It was like water pouring into a computer. My mind just short circuited. What transpired might have taken 10 seconds. It could have been 10 hours for all I know.''

When Jackson regained his senses, he investigated where the creature had crouched.

''Where his head came up to the cypress trees, I estimated it was 6 1/2-to-7-feet tall,'' Jackson said. ''The grass was matted down and there was a terrible smell. I equate it to someone who's been sleeping in a goat pen.''

Back home, Jackson began spending long hours in libraries trying to learn all he could about what he saw. Even before the Internet was a household word, he found plenty of information.

''Everything I read indicated that it was peaceful, and never hurt a human,'' Jackson said. The more he read, the more he wanted to return to the Collier County bayhead.

''As often as I could, I went back down there. I wasn't trying to catch it or anything like that, it was just that I know I saw it, and I wanted to see it again.''

Each time, Jackson tried something different. Night-vision goggles. Floating bait. Hiding in tree tops. He hung a tether ball off a tree limb in hopes of getting a handprint. He even mounted a mirror in the swamp, seven feet off the ground, because he had seen primates in a TV documentary lick mirrors. ''Saliva contains DNA,'' Jackson reasoned.

''I admit, for the first two or three years it was probably comical the way I was doing things in the woods. But I started to get better and better. My techniques got better,'' Jackson said.

But he couldn't find what he calls the Florida Skunk Ape. Still, he was certain the creature was there, which made him only more determined.

''I can't look you in the eye and tell how I knew he was close, but I know there were times that he was,'' Jackson said. ''I've been in the wild enough to know when something is wrong � times when it's like someone threw a switch and all the noise stops. You just knew that sucker was watching you.''

Through years of searching, Jackson became convinced his prey was extremely clever.

''You're dealing with an intelligent creature, and he knows his environment better than you know your home,'' Jackson said. ''I feel like he has a heightened sense of hearing, eyesight and smell. He knows you're there long before you know he's there.''

If you believe Jackson on this point, then you'll probably believe his search encompassed 20 years.

''I'd go two to three times a month over a period of 20 years,'' Jackson said. ''I was driven because I saw one of these things and I wanted to see it again.''

Long after most people would have given up, he was finally rewarded.

''Eighteen years into my search, I found a footprint,'' Jackson said. ''I found a group of smashed-down palmetto bushes, then a footprint, and then its next step was into a creek. It didn't come out on the other side. I would have seen where it came out because the other side was heavy brush. I went down the stream, but I didn't see any evidence where it left.''

Jackson made a plaster cast of the 19 1/2-inch footprint, which he found ''in the middle of the Everglades, 6.2 miles from the nearest road.''

''I'm 6-foot, about 240. The impression my foot made where I found the footprint was barely a quarter-inch. Whatever made this track went down two inches,'' Jackson said. ''You can't hoax this. Not where I found it. You'd put it where other people would find it.''

An engineering professor Jackson consulted estimated whatever made the footprint weighed ''a little better than 500 pounds.''

Jackson figured something that large must do some serious eating, so he began concentrating on what the Skunk Ape likely ate.

''I got smart and started watching game trails. I figured if I could find game trails, then I could find him,'' Jackson said.

Jackson hit the jackpot when a friend with thermal-imaging equipment took him for a nighttime helicopter ride over the area he had been searching. Jackson didn't see the Skunk Ape, but he saw the mother of all game trails.

The next night, Jackson began following the trail. After 21 days (during a ''six- to eight-week period) of meticulously ''working the trail,'' he reached the edge of the woods. To his surprise, the trail ended near the rear of a new, small strip mall.

''At the back of the strip mall there were six brand-new dumpsters,'' Jackson said. ''I thought, 'Hot ****, I hit the jackpot. This where I am going to set up.'''

On the third night of his stakeout, he saw the Skunk Ape approach the dumpsters. Unfortunately, as Jackson moved from his hiding place at the edge of he woods, the creature ran away at a startling speed.

It was clear to Jackson that he couldn't sneak up on the creature. He would have to station himself closer to the dumpsters.

Jackson stayed away for ''eight or 10 days.'' During that time, he worked out a plan. He decided to put ''bait'' � a half-gallon of orange juice with sugar and chloral hydrate (triple the dose that would ''drop a 250-pound man'' he says) � in the dumpster behind a pizza restaurant. He would place pop cans containing pebbles on the lids of the other dumpsters, which would alert him to the arrival of the Bigfoot.

He considered setting up a video camera, but rejected the idea because of the ''weird'' lighting behind the strip mall. Plus, he knew his video would be dismissed as fake. If people questioned Roger Patterson's famous Bigfoot footage from 1967, they would surely dismiss anything Jackson produced.

At about 2 a.m. on the foggy night described in the opening paragraph of this article, Jackson, armed with a magnaported .44-Magnum in case the encounter turned violent, was crouched between two dumpsters when he heard a pebble-filled can hit the pavement.

''You've heard of the 'pucker factor?' Well, my 'pucker factor' went up,'' Jackson said. ''Another couple cans hit the ground. Now my 'pucker factor' went up into the red zone. As I raised up, and brought my head above the top of the dumpster, I saw a pair of eyes.''

There was nothing friendly about the eyes just 10 feet away from Jackson's face.

''If he heard me, or smelled me, I don't know, but he had a-hold of the dumpster he was in and he was glaring at me with a look of rage on his face,'' Jackson said.

For the first time in his 20-year search for the Skunk Ape, Jackson feared for his life.

''My instinct was self preservation. As I straightened up, he jumped out and landed; it was me and him. There's no way to describe the fear,'' Jackson said.

Jackson squeezed off a shot as the Skunk Ape leaped toward him; then, in a blink, it was gone.

''There's no way I would have been able to fire twice. He was gone that quick. He was tremendously fast,'' Jackson said. ''It was one, two, three, and then it was over.''

And so was his search. Forever.

''I had been lulled into a false sense of security. I always thought they were peaceful creatures. You didn't see the look in his eyes. It was purely a look of rage on its face,'' Jackson said. ''I told myself, 'Dan, you idiot, you might get another chance. You saw his strength, don't push it.' Yeah, I had disturbed his supper, but it was more than that. What I'm going to tell you next, you're going to think I am crazy, but I think the rage was because I had outsmarted him.''

Jackson created a stir in the Bigfoot research community when he posted his story on his Web site (Bigfoot, Skunk Ape & Me). Naturally, other seekers wanted to know where his frightening encounter took place.

''I have had requests from three who said they wanted to know the location and check it out. These people seemed too insincere and ill prepared, beside the fact that they were intending to spend only one night every other week to check things out,'' Jackson said. ''Please excuse me here, but I worked on finding that location for a total of 21 days out of a month. It made me angry that they wanted to stand on my shoulders and try to do in one night what I had worked for and took the chances for so long to do. I've never told where it happened, and I never will.''

And Jackson, who is writing a book about his experience, remains adamant he is through searching for the Skunk Ape, Bigfoot, Sasquatch, whatever you want to call it.

''I made the same mistake others had made; I wanted to prove it existed. And it almost cost me,'' Jackson said. ''I'm satisfied. I'm not running into any lightning storms.''

Yup, when the rubber meets the road it usually means your making your exit when it comes

to such a confrontation.  That look of disgust and anger is not an isolated thing, I do think

it angers them to be disrupted when they are about to eat. I think the best time to catch one

is during daylight disrupting them from sleep because that is disorientating and they might

be less inclined to retaliate, unless of course you corner one.  I think they set out watchers 

of sorts to guard the others, and will try to distract you away from the group if you happen

upon them during the daylight hours. Will Jevning described them coming down the mountain

at the same time near dusk every day, and they would be most aggressive during these movements

toward feeding grounds.  It is far more likely to encounter an aggressive Sasquatch in an area

it can call home, verses one it is only briefly visiting.  That is why I think the more isolated areas

they inhabit are actually the most dangerous ones to approach because they view it as their turf,

and will see you as an intruder and possible competition for food.  It is the law of the jungle as

far as they are concerned, if you do not respect their attempt to send you packing they may 

take you out altogether.  This happens when humans confront Grizzly Bears as well, they 

may give you a warning, but they may just decide you deserve a swat or two for being in their

space.  Humans are simply the most dangerous things to these large predators, so our presence

is not really at all welcome.

I just spent the last hour plus reading this thread and following all the links out and reading what was in them as well.

i must admit that while I am not a believer in the "urban BF" deal that the content of this thread has at least adjusted my perception a bit, and I need to think about it some more.

Fascinating stuff.

Bed and Breakfast establishments are a like lot motels but smaller, with a little more of a human touch and lot less privacy. Nevertheless, it seems like I recall one in particular where the guests were reporting hearing wood knocking, that soon progressed into sticking breaking. All this while guest made their way out on the terrace for their morning breakfast and coffee. Before long though, the same guests were running for shelter when they were showered with rocks and sticks.

Edited by Gumshoeye

Bigfoot Report

June 1931

Long Island, New York

A dozen members of the Nassau County Police Department, armed with shotguns, were assigned today to search the woods in the neighborhood of Albertson Square for an ape-like animal that has been terrorizing residents in the vicinity. It was last seen this afternoon by a number of boys playing baseball at Devon Avenue and I.U. Willets Road. According to the boys, the animal, about 4 feet tall, and whose brown chest was covered with hair, attempted to climb over the improvised backstop, where George was playing catcher. At the sight of the animal, all  ball players screamed, attracting attention of a passing motorist. He hurled bricks at the animal, which escaped into the woods. About a week ago two women reported to the police that they had seen it. Last Saturday another reported that she had seen it. Laborers employed at Lewis & Valentine’s nursery also declared that had seen the animal about ten years ago. In no instance, however, has the animal attempted to  molest anyone.

Source: New York Times, June 30, 1931 p2

Was 1931 Long Island, New York Urban?

This is one of the earliest examples of urban Bigfoot that I can locate thus far. It was a case where a creature probably driven by curiosity more than anything else but how would I know, wanders to far away from its habitat and onto city streets of Long Island. There is much to see, the hustle and bustle of people things to see, crowded streets and everything just one big world of wonderment.

Now, just to put it in perspective Long Island, New York is an island large enough to contain two counties. According to Wikipedi, it is home to 40 percent of New York's population. During the 1930s when the above incident allegedly occurred there were approximately 4.5 million (million) people living there.

Today at present there is about 7 million. Imagine for a moment if you will,  a four foot hairy juvenile ape-like child wandering into the city streets and in total amazement sees neighborhood kids playing a game of ball. Within minutes the beastly juvenile is being chased out of Dodge by throngs of Bowery Boy type misfits heaving bricks and bottles at it until it flees. My friend if this isn't an early example of urban bigfoot experience then I don't know what is .... all said in good humor of course.

I grew up on Long Island. When I was a kid it was QUITE rural. I had deer, rabbits, turtles, even a bobcat or two in my yard. Granted, I lived in Suffolk county, which is east of Nassau, and much MORE rural, but even now there are woods and dense foliage there.

^^^

Good Point OKBFFan -  

I was in New York a couple years ago, and I was absolutely stunned to see some pretty wild looking country out there still untouched between Buffalo, Syracuse and New York City. Being one of smallest geographical states with some of the most populated cities in the country simply didn’t fit my idea of being origin to some of the best older Bigfoot reports. Long Island is a pretty good size chunk of land, and I thought I was looking over some old photos circa 1920-30s and there appeared to be a lot of wild to it then. I tried to imagine a creature in the midst of a semi-busy 1930s city street interrupting a ball game by some Bowery Boys type youngsters .... Thank you for the great post.

Edited by Gumshoeye

Upstate New York is very rural and beautiful country (except Albany ick). I went to college in buffalo, and my parents were from Niagara falls.

Remember, eastern Long Island is FARM country....potatoes and wineries galore.

Upstate New York is very rural and beautiful country (except Albany ick). I went to college in buffalo, and my parents were from Niagara falls.

Remember, eastern Long Island is FARM country....potatoes and wineries galore.

^^

My wife and I went up to Niagara Falls from Canada and down through Toronto after a Broadway play. From there we crossed over to New York, and it was extremely picturesque. I have a friend up there in Buffalo too. We drove out to Boston for a week, where we met up with a friend from New Hampshire and took our time to and from New York. Heading back home through Pennsylvania to Ohio, all of that area east Ohio and western Penna., seems to generate loads of BF reports and the landscape is ripe too. Craggy rocks and hilly areas with lots of farm land, waterways, thick dense wooded tracts and sporadic agricultural lands in between developed locations that look more like a patchwork quilt.  

Certainly makes you think twice about tricking one of these creatures just to

catch a glimpse, might be the last thing you ever do maybe just because you

die of fright, was looking at the Them and Us Neanderthal Pictures again, which

seem to pretty well describe a type II, and I think I would rather see a type I if

I were to have the choice, type I being the Patty type. Last Sunday's Sasquatch

Chronicles has a very frightening account of an encounter with a type II by a

delivery truck driver who got stuck at night and came face to face with a creature

like the one pictured below.  The type II s are supposed to be the most aggressive

type and seem to be found across the eastern and southern portions of the country.

This gentlemen said that this depiction below was the closest thing to what he saw

excepting a flatter hooded nose.  You'd be ornery too if you had look at that face

reflecting from the pond each morning.

post-23370-0-55982100-1422386990.jpg

post-23370-0-50817200-1422387314.png

If the latest footage from Lettuce Park isn't debunked by now this sighting is pretty relevant to this thread and the points discussed about Florida in general.

• Upvote 1

I grew up on Long Island. When I was a kid it was QUITE rural. I had deer, rabbits, turtles, even a bobcat or two in my yard. Granted, I lived in Suffolk county, which is east of Nassau, and much MORE rural, but even now there are woods and dense foliage there.

I read this on a news thread posted today and thought about our brief conversation relative to New York. This article titled: Bigfoot’s backyard? ‘Sasquatch’ sighted in Prospect Park, was posted and found on the Community Index page. It speaks of a sighting in Brooklyn, a large urban city that at first glance, one would not expect to encounter something but even there in the city there is thick wooded plats that surprised me too. It contains a very clear compelling still photo.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/38/5/dtg-bigfoot-sighting-2015-01-30-bk_38_5.html

Edited by Gumshoeye

• masterbarber locked this topic