Urban Bigfoot Seriously?(2)

Guest Admin

You really don't get much more sprawling than Chicago, but because there are a few rivers and streams that provide greenways animals can work there way in.  Coyotes have simply realized they can find food, shelter, and water, and probably save a few calories not having to chase them down, or dig them out, as they would in a wilder setting.  They are the junk yard dogs of the present, they have figured out how to survive without any of the entrapments of the forest and field, living in whatever spot they can find.  Plenty of nooks and crannies to make a home out of in the city, but also the lakeshore provides some natural areas, as do the rivers in places. Sasquatch are not as secure in their surroundings near cities, and tend to be on the move even in the outlying areas. Sightings are few and far between and seem to indicate the movements of the very small population that surrounds Chicagoland. If there are more than 10 individuals I would be highly surprised, and the number maybe much less. Sasquatch require a certain amount of daytime cover, and that is really not negotiable. Daylight sightings are extremely rare, and I know of only one in Chicago area, and that was on a bike trail that runs along the Fox River, and the creature ducked into some heavy cover in a quarry. I live along that same river and have a quarry very nearby as well, seems to me like a bit of a pattern the river and quarry thing.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

I remember reading an article a couple years with a color photo attached showing a female cougar that had wondered into one Southside Chicago neighborhood. It caused a stir and had some folks running until police and animal control came out and retrieved underneath a stoop there. Authorities stated they believed it traveled from Minnesota or Wisconsin in search of a mate.

A cougar was shot in North Chicago back in 2008 or 2009.  North Chicago is not really part of "Chicago" but a satellite city that is north of the main city.  The Des Plaines river runs to its near west, and that is how it made it to that point. The same cougar was spotted very near my house within a few miles, and even had the elementary school that neighbors me on the marsh under high alert, and not letting children outdoors. The adolescents of a specie are forced to find their own territory when they mature, and that might even include Sasquatch, so that is why you see the loner males as one of the main players in sightings.

Of interest to me, Will Jevning of the Sasquatch Chronicles, and writer and researcher, said that he had heard several accounts of Sasquatch gathering in groups at certain times of the year, presumably for gene dispersal, or mating if you will. I have believed that to be true in my area and pointed throughout this thread that the La Salle/Seneca area near the confluence of the Fox, Des Plaines, and Illinois rivers is just such a place, and that it would make sense for a gathering to be at the confluence of rivers.  This is evidenced by the number of sightings that have taken place in this area compared to surrounding areas at the same times of year. I am certain that these patterns can be figured out, and the sighting data is certainly telling a story we need to hear.

La Salle County sighting data below...

• October 10/10/14 (Class A) - Hiker has a daylight sighting in Buffalo Rock State Park
  • November 2012 (Class B) - Bow hunter sees an animal resembling a gorilla near Marseilles.
  • October 2012 (Class B) - Possible activity experienced by a family near Utica
  • October 2011 (Class A) - Second nighttime sighting by motorcyclist north of Marseilles
  • July 2011 (Class A) - Late night encounter by a motorcyclist outside of Marseilles
  • February 2011 (Class A) - Motorist has night-time sighting near bridge just south of Seneca
  • Summer 1987 (Class A) - Woman recalls daylight sighting north of Marseilles
  • Summer 1980-1999 (Class A) - Memory told of encounters on a farm near Ottawa.
  • July 1985 (Class B) - Fisherman recalls his possible nighttime sighting near Vermilionville
  • July 1983 (Class A) - Campers have lengthy nightime encounter near Seneca.

This is one of my favorite sightings and took place along the Fox River just north of the area during early winter, presumably joining up with 

the rest of the gang further south, and making a pit stop at a small forest preserve just outside of a populated area.

Report # 32616  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, January 25, 2012.

Hiker has nighttime sighting in Harris Forest Preserve.

(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2012

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: January

DATE: 5th

STATE: Illinois

COUNTY: Kendall County

LOCATION DETAILS: West of route 47 on route 71

NEAREST TOWN: Yorkville

NEAREST ROAD: Route 71

OBSERVED: I have been walking my dog through Harris Forest Preserve for about 5 weeks now. About the last 3 days we have been walking back there I noticed a foul smell and starge howling noises. I didn't think much of it at the because I've heard alot of coyotes howling in the area. I should also add my dog seemed pretty stressed out and affraid the last couple walks we were on. The last walk we went on was kind of late, from 6 till about 7 pm after dark. We heard quite a few knocks on trees that seemed pretty close by and rocks were being thrown at me and my dog. At first I thought it was some kids screwing around, until I got through the trail to the pond in back. I was paralysed with fear after what happened next. I believe it was a Bigfoot that ran out about 10 feet in front of me and stopped for about 15 seconds, it let out a very loud scream right at me then turned around and ran straight through the pond. I also noticed that behind me appeared to be another very large figure that ran the opposite direction. The first one I got a very clear view of, I was 8 to 9 feet tall with very wide shoulders about twice as wide as mine, it had dark brown hair mixed with some grey, and it smelled awful. I did not get a very good look at the other one but it did appear to be 8 to 10 feet tall. I have never really been a believer and as a matter of fact I am the kind of person more likely to make fun of a believer. That being said I am having a hard time coming up with an explanation for this. This happen in early Janurary and it was about 35 degrees out and I don't think a person playing a joke would be able to handle the water temps.

32616.jpg
[ The small pond in Harris Forest Preserve where the witness had his encounter]

ALSO NOTICED: Tree Knocks and Howling

OTHER WITNESSES: No other witness

OTHER STORIES: There were sounds reported on BFRO website but I don't know if it was the same area.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: After dark but was still pretty bright from the moon. It was pretty warm for Janurary about 35 degrees.

ENVIRONMENT: Forest preserve, with 2 ponds. Occurrence was on trail near back pond.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:

I spoke with the witness by phone.

In summary:

- The animal was eight to nine feet tall.

- The animals weight was at least 600 lbs.

- The shoulders were at least twice as wide as a human's shoulders.

- The animal was dark brown with some gray mixed in.

- The witness was unable to see the animals face.

- Although the witness did not have a flashlight he was able to see somewhat because of moonlight.

- On the 5th of January the moon was waxing gibbous with illumination of the moon disk of 86 %. The moon was full on the 9th of January, a few days after the sighting.

- On this date and location the moon rose at 1:40 pm so was high in the sky. 

The winter of 2012 was really mild to start, and this explains why the creatures were just making their way south to the gathering area near Seneca

Looking at the above information that area heats up with activity in October in recent years, carrying on till late winter and even spring and early summer,  Almost all of the sightings in winter occur to the south,  I do believe there is another group that holds to the north lake shore of Illinois and Wisconsin, prints and numerous sightings have taken place there in the winter months. It would make sense for breeding to take place in October assuming birth might take place in early summer

when food is most abundant. The gestation period for a Gorilla is about 9 days less than humans, so it might be fairly safe to assume Sasquatch gestate for about the same time as humans, or 266 days. So the above sighting might be actually the creatures dispersing to the north after the breeding period, in any case I do think

that a small population of these creatures is being established, and sightings should become more numerous as habitat is actually increasing in this area, primarily due to aggressive land buying tactics of several county forest preserve districts, it is kind of like keeping up with the Jones so to speak, as of now my county, Lake

County IL is leading the way!

I heard that too, and it sounded to me more like it a guess on his part, but it doesn’t take away the point of importance for continued study and analysis. If that’s correct it would go a long way in explaining the ebbs and flow of seasonal activities i.e. encounters and sightings or reports. With a little more understanding provided by Seasonal ups and downs it allows one to focus precisely on what months of the year and so on and so forth …. IMHO

SSR Team

Of interest to me, Will Jevning of the Sasquatch Chronicles, and writer and researcher, said that he had heard several accounts of Sasquatch gathering in groups at certain times of the year, presumably for gene dispersal, or mating if you will.

I'm finding that this looks very plausible where WA is concerned in one specific area anyway after looking at the numbers, but am still looking for more.

Where there are many family groups in close proximity the need might not be present, but where the groups are spread out, which may be everywhere to 

some extent, that perhaps necessitates the gathering for breeding purposes. It would explain the heightened activity that takes place each fall around the

country, which would allow the young to be born in the summer when food is most abundant. As pure speculation it is one theory that makes a little bit of

sense given the population of these creatures and their family structure. Of course if you look at Mountain Gorilla family groups and mating behavior it is

more territorial and within the troop, which might also be the case.  Maybe it is just that the Sasquatch troop is a larger entity than we actually realize.

There have been three or four here that had their babies in September & October. A couple of others were born in May. I've never had any reason to believe that they have a "breeding season".

• Upvote 1

Hmm, that is interesting, of course your in the south and it might not be as important to time births in that climate. Though I think it interesting you say

spring or fall which are more temperate. Patterns might be more regional in nature, obviously in the Pacific NW they track elevation patterns and season. An elevation change in my state is when you get in or out of bed, that's about it.  Your summers are brutally hot and humid, so my guess is that 

birthing is not ideal in those conditions. Of course when we speak of primates of any kind they will strike when the irons hot so to speak, and the iron is

hot most of the year. pardon the analogy. If you accept Freeman Young's account, which I do not, he states he saw around 100 or so gathered for a 

Sasquatch Olympics or something like that, and there are reports of the wrestling and sparring if you will...the door is open to discovery in any and

all matters, and speculation is just that, speculation.

There is scientific data that supports the idea that primates in varying climates will have different birthing patterns that correspond with seasonality, kind of nice to know when an assumption is actually more than logical, it is proven out in research, why I started the "other" thread recently.

Seasonality: Causal factors

1.  Photoperiod Latitudinal gradients:    Rhesus/Japanese macaques-higher latitudes, more strictly seasonal/ Lemurs-breeding onset at reduced photoperiod (very sensitive, ie 0.5h change)

2.  Rainfall and vegetation:     Expect to be important in equatorial regions where light (temperature) differences are minimal Wet season births (eg Saimiri and other Neo-tropicals)-linked to food abundance during weaning. Thus, nutrition one of the main influences

3.  Proximate causes:   If rainfall (food availability) coincides with births/weaning, what triggers onset of mating behaviour (and conception) 5-6 months earlier???

I'm finding that this looks very plausible where WA is concerned in one specific area anyway after looking at the numbers, but am still looking for more.

Can you provide examples that you have come across Bobby O? I heard the same as mentioned here but honestly never gave it too much thought.  

Edited by Gumshoeye

Just to show you a little regional impression of Sasquatch movements, note my pin placements in the following Google Earth Tour,

• masterbarber locked this topic