Taking Stock Of Cryptid Hominids

norseman

Hyperthetically, if i were to come up with genuine evidence of a yowie, not video footage but definate proof in the way of hair, blood, bone or body part, what would your view be on bigfoot

Yowiie, is the figure in this picture (below) a Yowie walking away in mid stride or is it an illusion (ie something that only appears to resemble a Hairy Man walking away in mid stride)?

yowie21.jpg

http://cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/compton-yowie/

If/When your hair samples get DNA tested and the results come back mundane would your view on Yowie/Bigfoot be any different?

As far as we know right now, Sapiens and Neanderthal are the only one's who've practiced burial. And at the same time, I don't think I have to remind anyone not to fall in love with what we think we know about our ancestors. It can all change in a heartbeat at any time.

Hobbit is interesting. It is in the genus homo yet has Australopthicene body features. We'll just have to be patient and let science do it's job.

Heidelbergensis buried their dead.

it appears that burial of the dead is an attribute that evolved during the very beginnings of humanity. And that isn't a fact, it's a theory, backed by evidence.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

it appears that burial of the dead is an attribute that evolved during the very beginnings of humanity. And that isn't a fact, it's a theory, backed by evidence.

Nope, an assertion that is not supported by scientific evidence.

Tell me when "humanity" begins and I can give you a rough estimate by how many tens of thousands or millions of years the evidence is not supporting of.

Here is some thing else that is complex since it evolves reasoning to why we would bury our dead. What happen that cause us to bury our dead? Is this a human factor  or an animal factor?  The animal factor is to hide their body from scavengers so that it would not be found if time permits of their death. Yet humans bury their dead and mourn after their dead, this is a natural human trait. But how did this trait start and where did it start?

If this is a trait of humans then is this also a trait of these creatures as well? and if this is a trait of these creatures then that leaves to question that they have some human traits in them that we cannot discount. So how can science discount a creature showing human traits that is living in the present, unless it is afraid of understanding the truth that these creature carry human traits that we cannot explain.

Fact: Humans do bury their dead and we cannot deny this since there are cemetery's every where.

Theory: We believe that these creatures might bury their dead, but we have no idea since there is no fossil record of this.

Also there no grave stones of burial grounds that we know of, where these creatures might have buried their dead, so we are just speculating that they do.  But what if they are burying their dead and we happen to come upon one of their graves. Then this is going to change the way that we think about them in such a way that they will surprise us. That they do carry a human trait of burying their dead, unless they are Neanderthal who might have ate their dead. What I should say that they might be part Neanderthal and this could be why we cannot find no fossil record. But then that leaves the question with the bones that can also be explained.

The bones can be smashed into a powder, but what would be the reasoning for this would be the next question and what use would it provide would also be a another question. But to understand them is to understand us and how we have evolved in evolution, and this is totally if they have human or Neanderthal in their DNA make up. This does not even involve the two other homo that have been found which is the Hobbit and the denisovan.  

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

There is not reason to believe Bigfoot buries it's dead.

If so, why so, and what is the evidence?

I suppose speculation is fine if that is where you are trending (in the absence of evidence).

But now you are creating a belief system and with that you get almost anything (I believe the sky is black).

We (Sapiens) bury the dead due to symbolic associations based on culture, language, based on our recent developments in language, brain size, and abstract symbolic reasoning. (tree + horizon = cross) // (sun rising in cross of tree + horizon = rebirth of sun) (sun = god = source of life) // sun is buried in ground at night = death or non being. Sun is resurrected each day on cross so if we bury body in ground like sun is buried on ground we will get a resurrection like the sun and come into being again. We are like the sun so we are the son of the sun. Insert mythology here...

Magical thinking, kind of like a belief system.

Doesn't mean it's not true, just that it is not science.

At least not physical science, maybe metaphysical science.

or a philosophy of religion.

So does Bigfoot have a religion might be a better question and testable by science (does he make symbols)?

Or you can find a burial and that would solve the science problem of evidence for a Bigfoot.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

"ology", suffix, "the study of".

Most often it is just the best guess at the time based on what evidence is properly interpreted, among what evidence is actually accepted, among what evidence is available, among what evidence has been found.  New finds change things all the time.

In the grand scheme of things the speculation over the nature of bigfoot is just a small part of the speculation that is the whole of anthropology.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

True, but without scientific evidence you have not speculation but pure riffs on fantasy.

If Bigfoot bury their dead, and that is a big IF, it's probably because as we all know dead rotting bodies stink.

There is not reason to believe Bigfoot buries it's dead.

If so, why so, and what is the evidence?

I suppose speculation is fine if that is where you are trending (in the absence of evidence).

But now you are creating a belief system and with that you get almost anything (I believe the sky is black).

We (Sapiens) bury the dead due to symbolic associations based on culture, language, based on our recent developments in language, brain size, and abstract symbolic reasoning. (tree + horizon = cross) // (sun rising in cross of tree + horizon = rebirth of sun) (sun = god = source of life) // sun is buried in ground at night = death or non being. Sun is resurrected each day on cross so if we bury body in ground like sun is buried on ground we will get a resurrection like the sun and come into being again. We are like the sun so we are the son of the sun. Insert mythology here...

Magical thinking, kind of like a belief system.

Doesn't mean it's not true, just that it is not science.

At least not physical science, maybe metaphysical science.

or a philosophy of religion.

So does Bigfoot have a religion might be a better question and testable by science (does he make symbols)?

Or you can find a burial and that would solve the science problem of evidence for a Bigfoot.

I think that is stuff about symbolic associations is a bit overly inclusive.  I never made any of those connections, nor know anyone who did.  Tree plus horizon equals cross?  I can only imagine how we came up with the ampersand.   

As a society, we bury the dead to eliminate stench, prevent the spread of disease, or as an act of respect.  

That's what most people think - but there's another practical purpose especially among the military - and that's to conceal your position, passing, or line of egress.  We also would bury every can, every bit of trash, everything to prevent others from finding it and learning that we passed this way or that we were operating in the area.

But we'd leave the enemy dead out - unburied and exposed.  That too, would be indicative of our presence - but we were well on our way out of the area and therefore weren't concerned.

But to bury and conceal your dead for the purpose of not exposing your presence in an area you operate out of - that takes "thinking."

Next question:  Do they think?  

Guest Crowlogic

Crow

Your comment about bigfoot researchers and self importance, who do you think you are

You come on here and step on your pedestal and dictate what you think is science, thats total bs, you really have no idea,

There is evidence out there, just because its not on this site means squat.

Hyperthetically, if i were to come up with genuine evidence of a yowie, not video footage but definate proof in the way of hair, blood, bone or body part, what would your view be on bigfoot

I'm not on a pedestal.   I'm just not standing in a hole.   Well you go get your evidence and bring it before the Australian Academy of Science and let them have a go at it.  Then there's something to discuss.  

Sasquatch burying their dead is indeed speculation. But then with all the seeming higher order attributes given to it then speculating that there is burial can be argued as much as non-burial. The burial side of the equation falls heavily in favor of intelligence but also under the heading of "No Bones" if BF is an extant species.

So, "assuming" there is burial, a subject I had a thread on as have others, there needs to be some practicality involved in how to think about it. One idea is something I've mentioned in the past which is burial in talus fields. One is scavenging will be discouraged and the other is for recycling to body by attracting a rodent population to later feed on. Gross to think about but practical.

Suggestion for bone searches: Rocks left undisturbed collect lichens, moss, and get shadowed by weathering and also sun bleached. In an area of containing natural rock piles like a glacial moraine perhaps look for a group of rocks that look different in color or have a lichen pattern that doesn't fit with the rest of the surrounding rocks. Sure it may slow down how much ground one covers in a day but it will be one more thing or, if you will, one more stone not left unturned.

I've read a number of reports of seeing Bigfoot hanging around graveyards. If they do bury their dead, could this be a recently aquired custom from watching settlers and natives bury their dead since the historic times? I don't think all Bigfoot bury their dead if they do at all, as some Bigfoot populations/singles are so far removed from each other across the nation and canada they would not have the same customs and or instincts and memories to do so.