If Bigfoot Were Real.

Incorrigible1

2 hours ago, Cryptic Megafauna said:

Science is about asking why is why.

I think you're saying FarArcher is we need a type specimen and your volunteering to go get a body.

Those that do identify a new genus and then name it after themselves sometimes find they regret the faustian bargain, however.

If the species is extremely rare there is also a very good chance that collectors will then drive it to extinction very quickly.

There are many very very rich people, museums, zoos, breeders, that engage in a kind of one upmanship.

The rarer the breed the more intense the game and the need for fame, the more double dealing and deception.

If you ever get close to collecting a Bigfoot your real problems are only beginning I think.

What you need to watch for then is the person at your elbow, the ambushes of Homo Sapiens are far more complex and devastating.

I'm reading The Dragon Behind the Glass: A True Story of Power, Obsession, and the World's Most Coveted Fish about what the world at that level is like when dealing with a coveted species.

No, I didn't say I was volunteering to go get a body.  Volunteering will get a man in a heap of trouble real fast with little to show for it.

If the species is extremely rare - I don't see that as a problem - some gubmint alimentary canals will declare it a protected species.  They'll set aside protected areas to remain void of human intrusion.  It's not as though folks are bringing BF bodies in wholesale right now.

Harvesting a BF could certainly be intense.  Collecting a Bigfoot isn't the real problem.  Egressing the immediate area with the Bigfoot and not getting killed is the problem.

What comes after that depends largely on how canny a man is, how much planning he does, how much preparation he makes, and what arrangements he's made in advance.

3 hours ago, MIB said:

I don't really know why I was approached.    My interpretations are just guesses.   

Deer hunting each time.   The first time I was still-hunting very seriously ... very VERY seriously.   Focus was deer but I had bear and cougar tags as well.   The second day, when I had two separate close passes about 45 minutes apart by different individuals, was perhaps more of a walk-about.   In each case it was deer season but I also had bear and cougar tags.   Each was along a ridge line in mixed brush and timber.   Very, very dry.  

Regarding bigfoot, it's not a waste of my time.  I got a little sidetracked for a while but once I refocused on my original question I realized I had found the answer I came for.   Even if I hadn't, for me, proper pursuit of answers is at least as important as the answers themselves.   But I have.   I have also found a second question and that's why I'm still here.                

MIB

That's interesting to me.  

Both times, you saw them clearly?  Could you have taken a shot?  And my next question is, what about the distance from you?  Approximate time of day?  Weather conditions?  

Some folks when they say, "still hunting," mean slowly stalking.  Moving.  Others mean, they're very still in a good shooting location.  Can you tell me which it is for you?

I don't mean to suggest Bigfoot is a waste of time, but maybe trying discern the indiscernable is.  Why do some have black faces, and others have tan faces?  How did they get here, and so on.  Even if we had a body, we'd still not know how they got here - although the Bering Straits would be logical.

I d bet the jist of "still hunting" lay more in the mind set and focus rather than degree of motion itself, though, sure, intertwined they do be, but the former dictates the latter. And perhaps that's what the first one picked up on while observing MIB. Sorta like..

"hey, that one seems intent on catching(us?) dinner..."

Or maybe it was more along the lines of

"you'll catch something when  I say you will..."

I wonder if they have the ability to temporarily drive off or somehow warn, game,that they may have plans for themselves, when human hunters enter an area, in order to thwart their efforts and make a region seem devoid of desired species..x

And the keys to discerning the indiscernable are patience, a keen eye, determination, patience, dedication, observational acumen,patience, and an open mind capable of considering things beyond what seems likely, or even possible, lest you allow prior constructs to blind you to that which lay before you.

The determination of what is may take far longer than you think, then again, sometimes it's the time it takes for one to recognize that the answer has been there the whole time had you chosen to consider past your own beliefs that really runs the clock out....Or when one has yet to arrange the parts in the order that points the way towards grasping the actual nature of things...

Or I'd imagine it can happen in the blink of an eye,

a blink that changes the rest of forever.

Guyzon, I don't care about the mindset so much as trying to determine time of day, and if MIB was moving.  Whether slowly stalking to cover ground, or if he had a good observation/shooting position, and was staying pat.

I'm not much for prior constructs, but I am big on the virtue of patience in the field.  I often spent three days and nights prone in the same position.  

Time of day, temperature, and whether he was moving about or sitting still are what I'm interested in MIB's experience he's referring to.

Still hunting ... well, the joke is "he hasn't filled his tag so he's still hunting."  :)   Seriously though, moving slowly at a sub-walk pace such that each step is a separate event.   Take a step, stop, look, listen, repeat.  

I only saw the last of the three.   

First .. in heavy cover.   Douglas fir providing high canopy, madrone and tanoak mid canopy, and fairly heavy, but clumpy, evergreen huckleberry at the bottom.   That's the location I'm most familiar with.   Shooting distances vary from 10 feet to 75 yards, I've done all, and my 35 season average is between 20 and 25 yards there.    Distance ... 15 feet, roughly.   There was weirdness to that one.   That's all I really want to say about it.

The second ... the second day had 3 parts.    I didn't see the first one, only detected its exit 8 feet or so behind me, and I didn't see what made the mumbly giggly unintelligible voices that exited seconds later up the same brushy ridgeline.   Again, a douglas fir timbered ridge, but no middle canopy, just obscuring brush at ground level .. ocean spray, hazel, that kind of thing.      The one I saw was on my way back out 45 minutes later about 150-200 yards closer to my truck.   That spot had been logged and replanted.   Second growth firs were in clumps with some large meadowy, grassy areas between.   I left the road / trail (the numbered USFS trail was originally a dirt two-track accessing a small earth dam providing water for stock and a line shack on back in the timber) to my right to take a picture of the valley I'd been in and the big mountain beyond.    I 'ran into' that guy ... really about 100 feet from me.   It ran under some of the firs bent at the waist with its arms extended overhead plowing aside the dead lower fir branches as if to protect its face.   My guess is it was about 7-1/2 feet tall if upright, smaller than what I think the earlier one had been.    The one I saw was built "lightly" like an NFL tight end, only scaled up, and somewhat resembled SWWASAS's avatar, only more of a dark red / brown mix.

Hmmm .. yeah, Bering Straight is a good guess.  The followup question .. seems like there's always a followup ... which time?   Did they only arrive at the most recent glacial maximum same as the ancestors of our Native American tribes or had they been here since a previous one?    I think when we finally do a full genome analysis we're going to have .. well, not a guarantee, but at least a better answer.

MIB 

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but I laughed out loud at the "Distance...15 feet, roughly"  And then again at the weirdness comment!

I know exactly what you're talking about.

And thanks for the specifics.  Got me an idea, and after your narrative, it's still intact.  I keep trying to find a narrative that will blow a hole in it, and haven't found one yet.

If I understood properly, the only "unanticipated meeting engagement" was the one roughly a hundred feet away - the one that bolted under the firs.

That genome analysis - going to blow the lid off the field of anthropology.  That's a given.

Faracher

I love walking up on game , it's fun. I take a few steps when the wind starts to blow and walk and stop and always with the wind. I had I a small six pointer lay down right in front of and it was the coolest thing I have ever experience beside coming face to face with these creatures. If I stand hunt I will sit there still for hours and not even move and become a part of that tree. I let my thoughts race while I wait, it almost seems like heaven for me. I will see small ones come in to my bait pile but I let them grow. Yes I am that kinda of dude that gives those small boys a chance to grow their antlers.

But you know every time I hear a bigfooter say bigfoot is this or that, does this or that, or did this or that all I have to do is remind myself of the rational realities of the evidence to know that it's the bigfooters who either don't know what they're talking about or simply refuse to grasp the realities that fly in the face of their muse.

One thing about me is that I know what I came across and have the bolla"s to say it. What they did I cannot deny Faracher and I know if one ever came in front of my sight with my bow I am going to shoot it. Even if it kills me , Bro. I have way to much to prove and nothing to loose. I have seen this forum change so many times. I do not visit other sites and yes I have a loud mouth when it come to these creatures. I been around them and am not worried like I was before, they do not want to die. I do have enough evidence  just not a body and I wish I did. This way my mess would be finish and I can move on.

Dang I hate Modelo especial but it taste so good on a hot day. :D I look forward to your wisdom  Faracher and I will of mine.

Shadow, you've probably heard me say it time and again, but.  When you see one, I'd suggest that there's a 95% chance there are others nearby.  Close.

You gotta do what you gotta do, but in my mind, a bow doesn't kill nearly fast enough - and an archer is going to have his hands full the next few moments.  Plumb.  Full.

20 hours ago, FarArcher said:

Shadow, you've probably heard me say it time and again, but.  When you see one, I'd suggest that there's a 95% chance there are others nearby.  Close.

You gotta do what you gotta do, but in my mind, a bow doesn't kill nearly fast enough - and an archer is going to have his hands full the next few moments.  Plumb.  Full.

Fararcher

Yet there is still that 5% chance that one will be alone and that is the one that we should be counting on. It does not matter about the 95% that might be near by. Crap for a person like myself it is not legal to own a silencer so a bow or a good cross bow. They are silent and up close killers of choice. Guns go bang and are loud. I have seen people take down large brown bears with bows and they have kept their wits. Not sure how I will do but it will be a test that's for sure.

Kind a of makes me wonder if Native Americans tested themselves with these creatures. You know as a part of their bravery. Would it have been a big deal to stand up to them if they ever came across them in their travels?  I tell you Fararcher I have had some strange encounters  and I know that you keep repeating that they are not alone. I know about your encounter and how he crept up on your six so fast. There were two times I thought I was going to die . My first sighting was one and when we found a rock on this stump next to my tent that was the second. There is a third but this is way to personal.

an archer is going to have his hands full the next few moments.  Plumb.  Full

This last sentence needs to be emphasized. If you have no idea about these creatures or archery then you have no business being in the woods looking for them. Gain the understanding of them. learn about them so you know how to act around them other wise you will be poo pooed. This is not to you Faracher but to ever reads this.

I 've read of NA tests of bravery where one would run along side a fleeing badger, and then jump on its back to kill it, hopefully..But going solo up against a BF is quite another thing..pretty much puts that whole Masai vs lion thing down a notch...

I get the benefits of the silence of the bow, but unless you make the first shot instantly lethal, I'd bet the BF will make enough noise to bring in his buddies, running, no matter how distant they might be...not saying it couldn't be done, just that you'd want to be rather sure of your shot in such a context...

Out of curiosity, what of the setting made it such that them placing a rock on a stump made you think your demise was shortly before you? I take it there was more symbolic content to it? Or had you had an interaction previously involving the rock,? Or was it more along the line of them telling you they knew where you slept, and here's the stone we're gonna use....?

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

That is why I prefer tranquilizer darts, if it does not make them mellow you can shoot yourself and relax as the chaos unfolds. Makes it easier for them to lug you back to their cave.

Out of curiosity, what of the setting made it such that them placing a rock on a stump made you think your demise was shortly before you? I take it there was more symbolic content to it? Or had you had an interaction previously involving the rock,? Or was it more along the line of them telling you they knew where you slept, and here's the stone we're gonna use....?

Guy

The fact that it carried a rock with it .  Instead it was more interested with the salmon that was next to the stump and placed the rock on the stump. I did have a tree cam next to my tent but had placed a piece of electrical tape over it so that it would not take pictures. The other two were by a creek in this area and I was calling for them but for some reason the radios were not working.  So I layed flat on my stomach with my pistol praying that it would not attack me . I did not know of the rock until the other two arrived at camp and this is when I popped out of my tent. Since then I have learned more about them through many mistakes. I am alive to talk about it and that is good. There was no telepathic communication at that event, but then again who knows maybe there was. 

But this is not the thread for this Guy. It is about an article that downplays these creatures that also down plays people who I respect in their field who have actually gone and done the foot work with it. Tenure folks with Degrees who know what they are talking about that maybe have been fooled , but are willing to put their reputations on the line.  If I can risk my life for them then I believe that it would be well worth the risk .  What will science gain by understanding what these creature are if we have one in our possession. The ultimate discovery .

Faracher what will they do if you kill the biggest and the baddest one in the group. What can they do after they just watch you drop the grand daddy of them all .  Why should you fear them when you can bring the fear to them . At least this the way I see it, that they should fear us and not us fear them. Why is that when you move towards them they back off or throw rocks to make us back away.  Why do they boogey out of an area when you bring other people in an area . They fear death just like us. If I see some thing hiding that looks like these creature I walk towards it to see if it moves . How else will you know what it is . Well I have said to much and better shut down before I speak out of turn. 

What will they do if you kill the biggest and baddest of the group?  They're coming for him.

If you drop one, and others are anywhere around, you'll probably have one or two come for the recovery.  What you may not see is the two or more flanking you.  This is how they live - they're practicing predators who hunt together, and that move is just natural ambush tactics, but to them it's a most natural reaction.

Like a big cat likes to take prey from behind and above.  It's automatic.  Not a lot of thinking to it.  Difference is, these BF critters can do some thinking in addition to their well practiced tactics.

I don't know that they fear death like us.  I see a squirrel instinctively shimmy when one gets too close - a deer will bolt - a fish will flash out if he sees you - that's not a fear of dying - which would require a self-realization, but more of a survival instinct.

I don't know why scores of monkeys will throw their own feces from high in the trees if one is just passing through.  They're territorial, and they will make it rain feces.

BF's play checkers.  You better be playing chess, and be about three moves ahead.

• Upvote 2

The report record certainly supports the idea of "no bigfoot left behind."    Siege of Honobia is one example.    I'm not going after them ... I might get one.   I don't want to live looking over my shoulder.   Right now, it's a game ... they count coup, I ... well, I try.  :) Everybody goes home at the end of the day alive and in one piece.   That's a pretty good thing.  I don't plan to screw it up.

MIB

• Upvote 4

^^^ Jes' had to plus you on that one MIB!

That is why if you are actually out there to go after one....ONE AND ONE ONLY...that you have all of your ducks I a row- AHEAD of time. ALL of your ducks. Nothing forgotten, nothing missed, nothing left out. The hunt of the century needs the utmost care in it's planning and execution. It will take time and it will take money. Even something as simple as horseback. Ask Norseman how much it costs from the last time he went out until the next just to maintain his livestock. And then the cost of having himself and two animals out in the wild for two weeks. Some people know where these creatures are some don't. I sure don't. Regionally perhaps but not specifically.

FarArcher says he knows where they are. Will it cost money to gear up an expedition? You bet it will. Most of us who are in the field dare not take one of these creatures down. Two people is extremely risky. Even three would struggle getting an animal that size loaded onto a vehicle of some kind should they be lucky enough to even get a vehicle into the habitat. And while loading who is guarding the operation? Science would prefer a specimen in its entirety- i.e. not cut up. That means safety is better with a party of five or more. That take lots of planning and cash and it has to be done on the QT both before and after the effort all the way until delivery with virtually no outside communication of any kind.

How many are going to be fortunate enough to find 5 or six well trained hunters they could trust to keep lid on things for several months and say nothing to anyone during the planning, while executing the hunt, and during the delivery of the specimen- and even weeks or months after that until disclosure by a reputable research facility that ALSO could be trusted to do the same? It seems an almost impossible task to pull off.

Just thought I'd try to put things into some perspective. MIB, I totally and completely respect your decision to not take one down. And that decision is because of your wisdom in all of this. Drop a deer? no worries, drop a bear? fine. Drop one of these guys? You have to get to one first- then the real work begins:  Dropping it and getting it- and you- out of there.

Edited by hiflier