If Bigfoot Were Real.

Incorrigible1

1 hour ago, JKH said:

Apparently, at least once, you didn't, FA. Live and learn. We should always assume observation in our daily lives in our not so natural environments, but those who now know better than just deer, bear, cougar, etc. naturally will be more aware than some.

Plussed, MIB, thanks! That is helpful with a question I recently posted in another thread here.

Which once?

Oh, just referring to your original encounter in which you became aware of being observed. I appreciate your sharing it, is all.

I said it was a meeting engagement.

If Critter had known I was there, it wouldn't have come so close as to feel threatened enough to growl at me while hiding in the tree cluster when I stood and started back to the other end.  When I say a meeting engagement - it's unanticipated by either party.  You just run into each other.

Almost sundown, they apparently came from the rock cluster that always gave us the creeps - and the same location we stayed away from.  Didn't expect me behind some equipment, and I sure as Hades didn't expect something I never thought about, and at best considered possible, but more likely a myth.

Was that an eye opener!

Your original encounter gave me the impression they were very aware of your location and your parties.  If you were looking at samples would this not have been around equipment or "things" you put in place to obtain/collect these samples?

I'm sure they were long aware of us, but we, or at least I, was entirely unaware of them.  After all, BF was in the same classification as werewolves, or little green men.  Never considered such a thing a real possibility - much less ever expect to run into one.  They did not exist in my universe.

We were on another task - working.  Our equipment was a dozer, excavator, and related equipment for our work.  Terrain was steep, broken, and we simply had an unanticipated meeting engagement.  Unanticipated on their part, unanticipated on my part - to be sure.

The equipment was a couple hundred feet higher than our camp.  They didn't seem to mind the rarely used equipment as it was never damaged or anything.  And usually, well before sundown, we were all close to camp, cooking or getting the fire going.  It was not good terrain to go wandering about in the dark.

Gentlemen, I had no idea about these things.  None.  After I returned home, I started looking up to see what I could find on them.  So when I saw examples of their "structures" they would make by bending limbs and fabricating frameworks - I'd think of the several I'd seen - and only THEN make the connection.  Or the very loud "birds" that would call in the middle of the night.  And the "visitations" outside my tent.  And the pebbles getting thrown at our tents.  I learned this was a frequently reported activity on their part.

The six months or so before I was to go into combat, I asked everyone I ran into with a CIB for three quick "never do's" and three quick "always do's."  No one ever turned me down, and while several always-do's or never-do's were repeated constantly, I also picked up scores of additional nuggets that later enabled me to avoid mistakes.  Same approach when I returned.  Dug and dug, and read hundreds upon hundreds of narratives - each time seeking the "nuggets."  Things that go right over the heads of most people.  

I came here to see if there were additional things I could learn.  Seeking more nuggets.  And I've been blessed.  In a number of older back posts, I found a number of nuggets by knowing posters who are no longer active here.  I've had the good fortune for a number of solid posters here make contact with me and give me additional information acquired through some of their experiences.  I've been able through some of these contacts to make good contact with the participants in some famous BF stories, and when they understood where I was, shared even more information never previously shared anywhere.  Key details.  Key characteristics.

Each time, I measure those elements within their narratives with what I know, what I experienced, and what my background provides.

And I want to extend my gratitude to those of you who have shared so willingly.  

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

"Tested and approved" are a good read and pretty much synonymous to "worthy."     I felt like I went through the same testing in my research area when it was still active.    As hunters, they have to know when we are hunting something.    Examining tracks, trying to be quiet,   stopping and listening.   They probably use the same methods.      The first time one has contact,  they would (unless they do read minds) not know what you are hunting for.   Only that you exhibit human behaviors of someone hunting.     Then depending on your reaction to that contact, we would really telegraph what your purpose is to them.   If you pack up your tent or bolt for your vehicle,  and leave and are never seen in the area again, they would assume you were there for deer hunting or some other purpose and they scared you away.    Probably a good thing from their viewpoint.     But if you started looking for their tracks,  find and photograph their tracks,   make tree knocks,   and pathetic human version of their howls they know exactly what you are in their woods for.    Honestly I feel that the longer you can delay that recognition of your purpose for being there, the more likely you are to have significant contact that could include a sighting.     In my case there was a period of playfulness.     I think a young adult or older juvenile was in the area and wanted to mess with me.    Then at some point I became a problem for them.    There too much,  perhaps disturbing game,    nearly catching them in the open,  trying to flush them out of cover,  and camera always at the ready and gun always on my hip.    I do not imagine any of those things would be desirable human behavior to a resident BF.        

As I have said before, I have taken people into the field that may not handle being a witness well.      When BF encounters an armed human,   they have to make quick decisions that might mean the difference between  getting shot at and just walking away unharmed.    With repeat contact with no harm, the BF would certainly conclude that you are not likely to harm them.    Tested and approved (worthy) would kick in at that point.      But some forum members assume that because they have no issues with their local BF clan,  and are accepted,   that applies to all BF.     That cannot be valid in that 20 miles away, the BF encountered there may not know a thing about you.   What if the last human that BF encountered pulled out a gun and took some shots.     

Edited by SWWASAS

As you and others here say, body language. I'm getting the impression that many if not most first time encounters occur because the body language of the witness or witnesses was not the language of an experienced knower. Subtleties existed that perhaps said "not hunting me". Sounds about right in your case. I would also think that acting like a non-knower down to one's fine movements that project "ignorant Human" would be harder to do than it sounds once one has seen one.

I've watched how children move when playing hide and seek and approach a hider- but already know where they are hiding. Their body language is entirely, and I mean ENTIRELY different than if they DIDN'T know where the hider was. It was a good lesson to observe for me. Anyone who watches such changes in a game as simple as hide and seek will see this. In fact I'll bet many have already seen this posture change while observing child "knowers" playing hide and seek. They pretend not to know where the hider is but their body language and eyes loudly signal that they do. Pretending not to doesn't work for them.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

I have taken all the guessing out of the equation on the part of BF when I still was having contact.    Telling them I know they are present and have nothing to worry about.      I would talk to BF in a calm voice, not knowing if they understood a thing I was saying,  but I use the same techniques on deer and rabbits and it works well enough that I can often approach closer without them bolting.    Rabbits will sit and look at me then hop off when I get too close.      Deer will often look at me,  and go back to eating, if I do not get much closer.     It if works on other animals, it probably works as well or better on more intelligent animals.     

Not so sure about that. A creature like BF may have an entirely different skill set. For instance if you were on four legs instead of two that rabbit and deer would have been long gone. But we have two legs and so does Sasquatch. That's a dynamic that changes the game. Add in intelligence and the game change might just be guaranteed. Chimpanzees and Gorillas still get taken down. Some reports in the past suggest that BF can be taken down as well. But what their intelligence may have done is it may has taught them how to avoid getting taken down. So I think it might be a different, keener creature than a rabbit or a deer or anything else that ends up on someone's wall. 

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
2 hours ago, hiflier said:

Not so sure about that. A creature like BF may have an entirely different skill set. For instance if you were on four legs instead of two that rabbit and deer would have been long gone. But we have two legs and so does Sasquatch. That's a dynamic that changes the game. Add in intelligence and the game change might just be guaranteed. Chimpanzees and Gorillas still get taken down. Some reports in the past suggest that BF can be taken down as well. But what their intelligence may have done is it may has taught them how to avoid getting taken down. So I think it might be a different, keener creature than a rabbit or a deer or anything else that ends up on someone's wall. 

Not beyond the realm of possibility that Sasquatch are much smarter than Homo Sapiens.

Brain size is not the key here or brain structure.

We have a large brain mostly because we need to analyse gossip and social alliances.

So even if they have a brain half the size they don't have to waste it on Youtube or Bigfoot forums they can dedicate it to immersing themselves seamlessly in the natural environment that becomes increasingly alien to us as we forget how we are supposed to live.

With sea level now set to rise by six feet by the end of the century there will no longer be any technological civilizations or even organized modern states so Sasquatch may have the last laugh, we may be the dead end evolutionarily speaking not the Australopithecines or whatever Bigfoot turns out to be.

One day there were billions of passenger pigeons and where are they now? 

BFF Patron

If BF were smarter than humans they would have dozens of ALCU lawyers working to getting their habitat back.    Perhaps even laying claim to the entire continent and forcing the UN to start mass deportations of all the illegal aliens (humans).     I am not entirely joking.     The best way to deal with humans for protection of habitat in this present day in the US is to do it in court and a super intelligent being would know that.       

I think what CM was getting at is reflected in his use of the qualifier of "natural environment". Many creatures are smarter than us in their natural habitat and as CM iterated they use a smaller brain but are successful because they use it 100% for survival in that habitat. Without the "trappings" (we don't call it that for nothing you know ;) ) Sasquatch perhaps being the smartest creature in the habitat will out think and out live us IN that habitat. Even if their brain is half the size of ours and they haven't invented the wheel or made use of fire. In other words in their habitat, they win. And they are perfectly suited to win. There are probably a small number of Humans that can give them a run for their money though.

BFF Patron

There are some people here I consider good woodsman but in any sort of survival situation in the woods the BF would be the natural winner.    Most of us rely on human constructs even to make a fire.    In winter, without fire, we do not last long.      BF are in their own element there.     Throw in their powerful bodies and ability to navigate difficult terrain, and humans not matter how good,  would run a distant second.   Quite frankly I think some BF research groups, even some prominent ones,   do not really believe or understand that.   There is still a lot of big dumb ape thought out there even at the PHD level.   

• Upvote 3

Yep ... and when the sun goes down ... game over.  

MIB

• Upvote 1