Impossible Animals Do Exist, So Why Not Bigfoot?

Guest ZeTomes

Guest ZeTomes

Yes. It had to do with a parenthetical phrase in the post. Odd. When I removed the parentheses I stopped getting the error.

Your gulping eels don't look like they could possibly function. They look about as real as this:

Le%20Serrec%20monster%20tadpole.jpg

http://scienceblogs....ter_tadpole.php

;)

no cryptids allowed here! excl.gif Last time chupacabra made a mess nobody would come her for 4 months.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ZeTomes

Ain't got time to update this thread, but slowly here it goes!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to read this, pay attention, a guy told me the other day… pff… what a baloney, that there’s this organism which looks like a japonese transformer retro-futuristic plane colored in vivid blue floating upside down in the surface of the sea. By the way, it is a distant cousin of snails… pfaahah… and imagine, this thing preys another baloney called Portuguese Man o’War (this another thing resembling old boats… potentially deadly by touch - it fires microscopic poisonous darts… ZLOL - yeah, action force jelly fishes) which is 10 times its size!!! And now the cherry in the cake: this total absurd creature not only totally consumes the Portuguese Caravel thing but also totally stores its venom for his own total strategically purposes!! How more dummy this could be? He-l-l-o! Ah, and they are also cannibalistic from time to time.

Glaucus atlanticus (familly Glaucidae)

common named sea swallow, blue glaucus, blue sea slugand blue ocean slug) is a species of medium-sized blue sea slug, a pelagicaeolid nudibranch, a marine gastropod mollusk in the family Glaucidae. This is the only species in the genus Glaucus, but is closely related to Glaucilla marginata, another member of the family Glaucidae. (read more)

post-1455-075309700 1308887984_thumb.jpg

Common name: sea swallow, blue glaucus, blue sea slug and blue ocean slug

Technical name(familly): Glaucidae

species (genus): Glaucus (atlanticus)

distribution: Caribbean Sea, Cuba, East Coast of South Africa,European waters (ERMS scope), Gulf of Mexico, Jamaica, Mozambique, New Zealand Exclusive Economic Zone, Portuguese Exclusive Economic Zone, South Coast of South Africa, Spanish Exclusive Economic Zone, United Kingdom Exclusive Economic Zone. (seemap)

GlaucusAtlanticus.jpg

7604b.jpg

glaucus02.jpg

glaucus.jpg

flickr-462292950-hd.jpg

glaucus_eating_velella1.jpg

Edited by ZeTomes

Guest ZeTomes

And now something related to our plastic poo, something concerning the survival of those marvelous impossible creatures, I introduce you, the Great Pacific Garbage Patch! (It's only twice the size of Texas - minimum and very optimistic - with 100 feet of deep, little stuff...)

Great Pacific Garbage Patch

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, also described as the Pacific Trash Vortex, is a gyre of marine litter in the central North Pacific Ocean located roughly between 135° to 155°W and 35°N to 42°N.[1] The patch extends over an indeterminate area, with estimates ranging very widely depending on the degree of plastic concentration used to define the affected area.

North_Pacific_Gyre_World_Map.png

The Patch is characterized by exceptionally high concentrations of pelagic plastics, chemical sludge, and other debris that have been trapped by the currents of the North Pacific Gyre.[2] Despite its size and density, the patch is not visible from satellite photography since it primarily consists of suspended particulates in the upper water column. Since plastics break down to ever smaller polymers, concentrations of submerged particles are not visible from space, nor do they appear as a continuous debris field. Instead, the patch is defined as an area in which the mass of plastic debris in the upper water column is significantly higher than average

(read article)

World biggest garbage dump - plastic in the Ocean

Charles Moore: Sailing the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrAShtolieg&feature=related

Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Edited by ZeTomes

Guest ZeTomes

Horseshoe crab

But of course, xenomorphs with armour and living fossils cousins of trilobites contributors to human health. Yeah... and their blood is blue let me guess.

post-1455-016923600 1309146694_thumb.jpg

Attack of the Crab Monsters

Local name (american indians): Se-ekanau

Common name: Se-ekanau (american indians) / King Crab (french explorers) / Soldier Crab / Horsefoot Crab (Thomas Hariot) / Horseshoe Crab

Technical name (familly): Limulidae

Technical name (Species): Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda / Limulus polyphemus / Tachypleus gigas / Tachypleus tridentatus

etymology (Limulidae): New Latin, from Limulus, type genus + -idae : a family (order Xiphosura) comprising the king crab and various related extinct forms.

post-1455-058391900 1309147997_thumb.jpg

post-1455-050452800 1309148394_thumb.jpg

Horseshoe Crab ancestor (fossils)

Age: The earliest horseshoe crab species were crawling around the Earth's shallow coastal seas for at least 100 million years before the dinosaurs even arrived (which was about 200 million years ago).

closest living relative of: trilobite

region: North America, Bay of Bengal, Indonesia, Borneo, Japan and Philippines.

danger of extinction: not yet

endangered by: coastal habitat destruction in Japan and overharvesting along the east coast of North America.

trivial use: bait and fertilizer

Horseshoe_crab.jpg

taxonomy or discovery:

In 1588, British naturalist Thomas Hariot called it the "horsefoot" crab — probably because the shape of the crab resembles the foot of a horse. Somehow, through time, horsefoot was corrupted to "horseshoe."

Profile:

Horseshoe crabs are among the world's oldest and most fascinating creatures. They are estimated to be at least 300 million years old. Since that time, the Earth's land masses have shifted dramatically, thousands of other species have come and gone, but horseshoe crabs have survived and today remain much as they were those millions of years ago.

Unlike humans, horseshoe crabs do not have hemoglobin in their blood, but instead use hemocyanin to carry oxygen. Because of the copper present in hemocyanin, their blood is blue. Their blood contains amebocytes, which play a role similar to white blood cells for vertebrates in defending the organism against pathogens. Amebocytes from the blood of L. polyphemus are used to make Limulus amebocyte lysate, which is used for the detection of bacterial endotoxins.

Still today, when people see for the first time this strange creature with an armored shell and spiked tail, it is often with trepidation, along with the question, "What is that thing?" Meet the remarkable horseshoe crab!

IMG_5744.JPG

Horseshoe%20crab%20ventral%20view%20alt_800.jpg

Two_shoots_of_horseshoe_crab.jpg

horseshoe-crab.jpg

horseshoe.jpg

Horseshoe_Crabs_mating.jpg

sources:

Wikipedia

Horseshoe Crab

Enciclopedia of Life

Edited by ZeTomes

Guest ZeTomes

The Great, Great, Great, Great (continue...) Great Great Grand Fathers of contemporary Horseshoe Crabs: The Trilobites!

post-1455-042377600 1309227161_thumb.jpg

Trilobites (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png/ˈtraɪləbaɪt/, /ˈtrɪləbaɪt/; meaning "three lobes") are a well-known fossil group of extinct marine arthropods that form the class Trilobita. The first appearance of trilobites in the fossil record defines the base of the Atdabanian stage of the Early Cambrian period (526 million years ago), and they flourished throughout the lower Paleozoic era before beginning a drawn-out decline to extinction when, during the Devonian, all trilobite orders, with the sole exception of Proetida, died out. Trilobites finally disappeared in the mass extinction at the end of the Permian about 250 million years ago. The trilobites were among the most successful of all early animals, roaming the oceans for over 270 million years.

When trilobites first appeared in the fossil record they were already highly diverse and geographically dispersed. Because trilobites had wide diversity and an easily fossilized exoskeleton an extensive fossil record was left, with some 17,000 known species spanning Paleozoic time. The study of these fossils has facilitated important contributions to biostratigraphy, paleontology, evolutionary biology and plate tectonics. Trilobites are often placed within the arthropod subphylum Schizoramia within the superclass Arachnomorpha (equivalent to the Arachnata),although several alternative taxonomies are found in the literature.

Trilobites had many life styles; some moved over the sea-bed as predators, scavengers or filter feeders and some swam, feeding on plankton. Most life styles expected of modern marine arthropods are seen in trilobites, with the possible exception of parasitism (where there is still scientific debate).[4] Some trilobites (particularly the family Olenidae) are even thought to have evolved a symbiotic relationship with sulfur-eating bacteria from which they derived food.

(read full article)

(study more about trilobites )

post-1455-098092700 1309227155_thumb.jpg

post-1455-063114500 1309227157_thumb.jpg

post-1455-097985100 1309227165_thumb.jpg

post-1455-036648700 1309227167_thumb.jpg

post-1455-059183100 1309227185_thumb.jpg

post-1455-067020500 1309227195_thumb.jpg

post-1455-006315800 1309227210_thumb.jpg

post-1455-088279900 1309227211_thumb.jpg

post-1455-065617300 1309227212_thumb.jpg

Guest ZeTomes

This thread is awesome.

Thank you Rio Bravo!

PS to all: I'm constantly forgetting about the size of the images posted, reducing nets fluidity. I'm sorry :blush:

Guest ZeTomes

Proboscis monkey

And by the way, Alice the Goon really exists... except it's an he than a she... (guttural indistinct noises sort of lol)

post-1455-063202400 1309719232_thumb.jpg

Local names (Indonesian): bekantan, bangkatan; monyet belanda (dutch monkey); orang belanda (dutchman).

Common name: long-nosed monkey; proboscis monkey, næseabe (Danish); neusaap (Dutch); Nenäapina (Finnish); nasique (French); mono narigudo, násico (Spanish); näsapa (Swedish).

Technical name (familly): Cercopithecidae (Old World monkeys)

Technical name (Species): Nasalis larvatus

Subspecies: Nasalis larvatus larvatus / Nasalis larvatus orientalis

etymology (nasalis): derived from the Latin word nasus (nose; nose; sense of smelling) > derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *nas-.

post-1455-030570400 1309720886_thumb.jpg

"Proboscis Monkey" copper engraved print published in J.Johnson's The Natural History of Quadrupeds (after Linnaeus), 1801. Good condition. Size 9.5 x 14.5 cms including title, plus margins. Ref G71

He was the second guy perpetuating the hoax. Look how the costume evolved nowadays. It was previously curled like a curly thing.. take a look and see if I am not right.

distribution: This species is endemic to Borneo, occurring in Brunei, Indonesia (Kalimantan) and Malaysia (Sabah and Sarawak). It was orignally found over the whole of coastal Borneo, as well as on the satellite islands of Berhala, Sebatik and Pulau Laut.

danger of extinction: close

endangered by: Numbers of proboscis monkeys in Borneo have fallen dramatically in the last 40 years primarily as a result of habitat loss. Vast areas of the native rain forest have been cleared for timber and for the construction of oil-palm plantations, which now constitute one of Malaysia's top exports. Proboscis monkeys do not adapt to degraded habitat and recent technical advances have meant that even mangrove swamps may now be logged. Hunting is also a threat to the survival of this species; their propensity to gather in large groups on the river's edge makes these monkeys easy targets.

trivial use: bezoar stones, an intestinal secretion used in traditional Chinese medicine.

m28_00000152.jpg

Taxonomy or discovery:

Nasalis larvatus (Wurmb, 1787) / Colobinae Jerdon, 1867 / Nasalis concolor (Miller, 1903)

Profile:

The proboscis monkey has one of the most unusual appearances of any of the leaf-eating monkeys of the family Cercopithecidae. Both the Latin and common names of this species refer to the mature males' large pendulous nose that hangs down over their mouth. Local people referred to these large monkeys with their potbellies and red noses as 'Dutch monkeys' as they were considered such a caricature of the Dutch sailors and plantation owners of the area.

Apart from their large noses, male proboscis monkeys are also distinctive by being much larger and heavier than females, and having a bright red, visible penis and black scrotum. The coat is a light brown with red on both the crown of the head and the shoulders; the limbs and tail are grey in colour and there are cream patches on the throat. Infants are born with black fur and a vivid blue face. The cause of the males' large nose is still a matter of contention but may be a form of sexual selection, with females preferring males with large noses possibly as these enhance their vocalisations.

ngs20-0114.jpg

2291098562_662a96cfae_o.jpg

take a look at the sophistication of the hoax, they even simulated rain drops at his nose

196812_Neusaap.jpg

38938243.jpg?redirect_counter=1

Jonathan.jpg

here you can see distinctively the separation of both upper and lower parts of the costume. The guy in the costume is obviously posing. Most probably they were taking a pause between taking photos - tea time or something, just me guessing.

d4a3c.jpg

a monkey poses like this? (look at his hand) - in my opinion it's a female, a real man does not pose.

P1110772.jpg

Man, you have to be fool not to see the obvious: here you can see a zoomed view of his hand... obvious human, obvious

Sources:

Wikipedia

Enciclopedia of Life

MyEtymology

HELP The Nosed guy not becoming a myth!!!

Edited by ZeTomes

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Biggie

Japanese spider crab

link

Macrocheira_kaempferi.jpg

Wow. Makes me wonder if they're eaten. That would sure be a lot of crab legs for dinner.

japanese-spider-crab.jpg

A lot of species I've never seen before in this thread. Fascinating.

BFF Patron
a monkey poses like this? (look at his hand) - in my opinion it's a female, a real man does not pose.

Speculation, speculation.......I'd like to see you knock on "her" tree and ask to do a gender check ZeTomes?! :lol:

Guest ZeTomes

Speculation, speculation.......I'd like to see you knock on "her" tree and ask to do a gender check ZeTomes?! :lol:

hehe, I wouldn't date "her" that's for sure!

Edited by ZeTomes

Guest ZeTomes

Wow. Makes me wonder if they're eaten. That would sure be a lot of crab legs for dinner.

A lot of species I've never seen before in this thread. Fascinating.

Thank you Biggie, That surely makes a lot of a hell of shellfish at your table.

I think here in Portugal, they are for selling in supermarkets, frozen pieces of legs. We have a lot of weird species in the deep waters of Azores but probably they're imported from Japan. We have strong relations with japanese concerning tuna fish, but I have to check it out if it's the same spider crab. They are very cheap though and tasty and their armour isn't that dull. If not this species, a very similar ones. They are called "patas de caranguejo gigante" meaning giant scrab legs.

Edited by ZeTomes