Impossible Animals Do Exist, So Why Not Bigfoot?

Guest ZeTomes

Guest Lesmore

As you said there can be only two possibilities: it exists or it don't

I'm putting the 3rd dimension here: the time-space where none of the possibilities were proved true or false - the myth.

Native people in my country within their culture, do believe in BF in a way that perhaps those of us of European background and culture would describe as 'myth'. I think it is very hard for a non aboriginal person to understand the aboriginal concept of myth, shape shifters, etc.

I know I don't get it. It maybe because I just don't understand enough about native culture, but I don't know. In my Euro view BF either exists or doesn't.

The significance of the premisse possibility, what it represents individually to people - the importance of the myth in anthropological terms - is what I define as the 3rd dimension separated from bigfoot existing or not existing.

Why do some people even get attached to this condition, when there are infinite types of similar conditions... so many IFs, why bigfoot's so special?

I mean, why such focusing on something shrouded with controversy? Why the need for it to become true? I think for some us the need to prove whether BF is a fact or not...true as you say will enable us to go the next level...finding out more about BF, it's activities, it's life, lifespan, habits, etc.

Merely going on and on...as many do...spinning guesswork into fantasy may be of interest to some....but not to all. Me for instance. :D I'm not an individual interested in science fiction, but I am fascinated by the real natural world. If BF exists, I'm fascinated, but if BF is merely in the imagination, then I'm not interested in pursuing the BF issue.

What formulas make bigfoot the perfect archtype of someone's utopia, or such idiosyncratic relation from people to people?

Why are you registed in this forum, why am I registed in this forum? Why do "skeptics" and "believers" gravitate around the same subject?

I'm registered in this forum, because I want to keep abreast of new....factual...information. Both skeptics and believers gravitate around the same subject, because they are both interested in the same subject.

I would not (and you haven't...I'm using the general term) label skeptics as non believers. They want proof, evidence, something concrete to convince them, completely. I'm in this camp.

Believers don't seem to need as much proof....they have more confidence in their 'beliefs'...even if some of these beliefs don't appear to have much substance from the skeptic's view.

Les

Guest ZeTomes

double post deleted by poster

Which post are you referring to? The one concerning the Great Garbage Patch and the ecological bags?

Guest ZeTomes

I'm registered in this forum, because I want to keep abreast of new....factual...information. Both skeptics and believers gravitate around the same subject, because they are both interested in the same subject.

I would not (and you haven't...I'm using the general term) label skeptics as non believers. They want proof, evidence, something concrete to convince them, completely. I'm in this camp.

Believers don't seem to need as much proof....they have more confidence in their 'beliefs'...even if some of these beliefs don't appear to have much substance from the skeptic's view.

Les

I agree with you, what I am still trying to figure, are the reasons behind the intention of pursuing those subjects. In my personal point of view, it's rupturing epistemological paradigms what is most important. But of course to rupture is to use skeptical and scientific reasoning. I also wondered about what comfort lies within it. What's the essence of that unconscious feeling? What does it pursuit and what are the inherent apparatus which are so molded to our own sense of individuality and psychological stability? Is it an old ancient fear or sense of admiration sensation which remains from our human prehistoric ancestry like the funny sensations of being on a roller coaster or being pranked or scared, or feeling that there's still the tasteful sense of mystery surrounding us amidst the modern labeled world? Or it is a paternal figure, like the image of good monsters protectors or guardians of our fragility? Is it similar to the concept of deities or boogie men? Are the shadows part of its subconscious construction? What is "IT"?

Edited by ZeTomes

Guest Lesmore

Which post are you referring to? The one concerning the Great Garbage Patch and the ecological bags?

The one directly above...I double posted .

Guest ZeTomes

The one directly above...I double posted .

I thought it was the post a moderator erased previously concerning the subjects I mentioned.:)

Guest Lesmore

I thought it was the post a moderator erased previously concerning the subjects I mentioned.:)

No, I clicked 'add reply' twice by mistake.

Guest Lesmore

I agree with you, what I am still trying to figure, are the reasons behind the intention of pursuing those subjects. In my personal point of view, it's rupturing epistemological paradigms what is most important. But of course to rupture is to use skeptical and scientific reasoning. I also wondered about what comfort lies within it. What's the essence of that unconscious feeling? What does it pursuit and what are the inherent apparatus which are so molded to our own sense of individuality and psychological stability? Is it an old ancient fear or sense of admiration sensation which remains from our human prehistoric ancestry like the funny sensations of being on a roller coaster or being pranked or scared, or feeling that there's still the tasteful sense of mystery surrounding us amidst the modern labeled world? Or it is a paternal figure, like the image of good monsters protectors or guardians of our fragility? Is it similar to the concept of deities or boogie men? Are the shadows part of its subconscious construction? What is "IT"?

Could be any, I suppose, depending on the individual. I've always been a fan of fishing large, isolated Canadian lakes....you never know what's in there. Same deal with walking down forest trails in the Boreal Forest.....you never know what you will see, or come across. Lot's of mystery over here....because of the vastness of the wilderness...the relative isolation, small population. If you hear some unfamiliar sounds in the forest....it can give you a case of the frights, I suppose.

:blink::D Les

:lol: Good questions.

Guest ZeTomes

Could be any, I suppose, depending on the individual. I've always been a fan of fishing large, isolated Canadian lakes....you never know what's in there. Same deal with walking down forest trails in the Boreal Forest.....you never know what you will see, or come across. Lot's of mystery over here....because of the vastness of the wilderness...the relative isolation, small population. If you hear some unfamiliar sounds in the forest....it can give you a case of the frights, I suppose.

:blink::D Les

I would like to live near places where my subconscious wasn't saying the possibilities of existing an unknown species were low, but hey, what am I saying these animals do exist and I didn't know anything about them previously. So everything could be fascinating potentially. My closest experience was swimming only by myself ant two empty bottles of 1 l of water in my backbag, to a distant (2 km perhaps) island on the most beautiful beach of Portugal (Portinho Arrábida). My sensation was like a kid from the Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" books. I was reaching virgin territory (to myself of course) and that was an astonishing mixture of feelings, exploring, conquering, and touching new soil.

Mentioning Canadian lakes, did you read my alligator gar post? I imagine how one would react towards that monster (inofensive though)

Edited by ZeTomes

Guest ZeTomes

:lol: Good questions.

I'm still trying to find good books concerning myths about extraodrinary, but plausible creatures already proved to exist or not. this is a fascinating theme for me, but unfortunately i was only able to find very few concerning the species posted here.

Guest Lesmore

I would like to live near places where my subconscious wasn't saying the possibilities of existing an unknown species were low, but hey, what am I saying these animals do exist and I didn't know anything about them previously. So everything could be fascinating potentially. My closest experience was swimming only by myself ant two empty bottles of 1 l of water in my backbag, to a distant (2 km perhaps) island on the most beautiful beach of Portugal (Portinho Arrábida). My sensation was like a kid from the Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" books. I was reaching virgin territory (to myself of course) and that was an astonishing mixture of feelings, exploring, conquering, and touching new soil.Yup, new , isolated areas are always fun...can be a bit spine tingling at times.

Mentioning Canadian lakes, did you read my alligator gar post? I imagine how one would react towards that monster (inofensive though)I haven't read that post. The Alligator Gar is very much south of Canada...usually in the southern states of Texas or Arkansas in the states.. Canadian freshwater fish are big, can be toothy and generally plentiful...but no danger to man. I think the Alligator Gar, despite it's formidable looks isn't a danger to man, according to some of the stuff I've seen or read.

In my home province there have been some very interesting accounts of BF encounters.

Edited by Lesmore

Guest ZeTomes

In my home province there have been some very interesting accounts of BF encounters.

You live where Lesmore?

Guest Lesmore

You live where Lesmore?

I live in Manitoba, but have also lived in another Western province, Alberta.

Manitoba, is one of the Prairie Provinces in Western Canada. However it's not all grassland and farm and ranch country. There are huge areas of Boreal forest, over 100,000 lakes, Canadian Shield, Tundra, Hudson Bay shoreline in the far north. In fact Churchill, a town situated on the Hudson Bay shoreline in the far north, is a town well known for Polar Bears.

Quite a number of powerful rivers, some harnessed by Hydro Electric dams which provide electric power not only to Mb., but also some other Canadian provinces as well as some US states.

Most Canadian provinces are vast, with a wide range of topography.

There are a number of cities in Manitoba....Winnipeg, the capital is well over 600,000, has an NHL (National Hockey league) team, also Winnipeg is well known for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, the Manitoba Theatre Centre....lot's of activities here.

There are also a number of Manitobans of Portuguese descent. Immigration from your country to Manitoba, started around the 60's I believe. Mb. has a very diverse population.

Right now, during the summer, the temps during the day are hitting 30 to 33 Celsius (heat wave)....in the winter 15-25 Celsius (below zero) are not uncommon with the occasional dip into the - 30's to -40's (Northern Mb.) A wide range of temperature.

It is a fascinating province.

Hope this gives you a snap shot of Manitoba.

Les

What part of Portugal do you live ?

Edited by Lesmore

Guest ZeTomes

Excellent description! you gave me, I cannot avoid recalling Sydney Pollack's "Jeremiah Johnson" . I have this old attraction to Canada, and I think it's the result of my imagination of untouched and wild areas and having a marvelous wood indian Haida carving of a beaver. That magic attracted since I was a child. I would like to know more about this art and myth. Do you have any good advice for good books concerning Haida culture and myth (it's Haida isn't it?)? I think the aesthetics are astonishing. Also, Canada is a very interesting paradigm to viking previous navigations. Several archaeological viking artifacts were discovered at camping sites. Not to mention Canada was the beginning point for a hypothetical viking exploration, including west south American coasts and even Easter Island. How Canada is receiving immigration at this moment?

post-1455-028827800 1310969125_thumb.jpg

I live in the limits of Lisbon, near Belém, where monastery of Jerónimos and Tower of Belém are situated. They both were of very importance to portuguese maritime discoveries at the golden discovery portuguese ages. I imagine the religious environment amidst the departures of the mighty caravels, sailing throughout Africas, Indias and Brazil facing the seas of the Adamastor and getting thorough the mythical pillars of Hercules.

post-1455-037024200 1310969578_thumb.jpg

Lisbon is a very rich city in terms of history and archeology. It was a very important navigation port for trading with many cultures and for maritime expansion. A lot of civilizations from pre-history through modern ages considered Lisbon vital for strategic reasons. The britans, celts, greeks, scandinavian, romans, finish, all of them came across this city next to river Tejo and all of them had their trading posts there. The mythical greek culture influenced deeply our poets and writers, we became the people of poetry.

post-1455-063724300 1310968967_thumb.jpg

- *Excuse me, I'm Lusitanian (portuguese)

- So?

- Well, I don't know how to sing but I could recite something if you'd like.

(Astérix: Le Domaine des dieux)

Haida culture carvings

post-1455-056236600 1310969122_thumb.jpg

post-1455-097290300 1310969123_thumb.jpg

post-1455-084664800 1310969126_thumb.jpg

post-1455-078499400 1310969127_thumb.jpg

post-1455-043912800 1310969130_thumb.jpg

post-1455-016745700 1310969131_thumb.jpg

post-1455-085165200 1310969131_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZeTomes