7+ Feet Tall Skeleton Displayed In Selma Alabama Restaurant

Absolutely, Susie, I will call you when I get in the restaurant and let you know what I think and how it all went so you want have to wait on me to post.

Absolutely, Susie, I will call you when I get in the restaurant and let you know what I think and how it all went so you want have to wait on me to post.

Thank you Jodie. I can live vicariously through your adventures. But I will finally have some peace about that poor skeleton. Personally, whatever or whoever he may be, I wish that he could be treated with respect and dignity.

***Jodie, I just realized that I could post hot updates here about your adventure.**

****Whatever you would like to have posted until you are able to do so you could tell me and I will post it either here, or we could start a new topic where you can post as you do the research, or I can take notes when you call me and post them so everyone can "go along for the ride and the adventure" with you.***

What do you think? Would you like to do that, or would you rather wait until you can sit down and write it all up after you have a chance to get to a computer?

I'd love to do updates for everyone to see and know what you are doing and how it is going.

It would exciting to hear your first thoughts as you examine the skeleton and what your impressions are as you do your research.

What do you wish to do?

**People here could post ideas, opinions, and advice for your research**, and you could respond back to them while you are there doing the examination.***

**I really like this idea, but it may be too much trouble for you while you are busy examining Mortimer.**

I think doing the updates would be really exciting, and this is important info into the possible discovery of a BF or an Indian Chief.

Are you interested in doing that, or had you rather wait and type up your personal adventures yourself?

I so wish that I could attach a camera to your forehead so we could see everything, your trip, the city, walking into the restaurant,talking to the staff, seeing and examining the skeleton

for the first time, and audio of course as everything happens.May as well dream big! :rolleyes:

** I so envy you this adventure. I deeply regret not being able to go with you.

I suspect that with both of us being nurses, and female, that we could have a fabulous time no matter what we should discover!!**

I think that the adventure part is why hubby has said absolutely **NO** ,plus hubby can't go and (DIRECT QUOTE) "does not wish to waste his money on something that **Does** **Not** **Exist**"! :rolleyes:

MEN can be a little, really a **LOT** too protective and too cheap to spend the money, nor to take a couple of days off so we could join you and experience the adventure of discovering just who or what Mortimer may be.

:( I'm happy for you, but sad for myself.

I'm calling a friend at the hospital Monday to get the bone kit to send to you. I'll get your address and name *after* I have the kit.

**I'll PM you when I have the kit, and you can call me with your address, or PM me back. **

**We got us a plan girlfriend... :D**

Edited by SweetSusiq

If you can't get the expired disposable kit, don't sweat it, I can improvise. I think it would make things easier since it has that bore specifically designed for live bone, however, it might not work as well on brittle bone. I would have to look at it once I got there and decide whether I wanted to use it instead of my drill. If the jaw is not wired shut, and the owner is not opposed, all I may have to do is pull a tooth. I'm just trying to plan ahead a little. I'll try to tape as much as possible for you.

Honestly Susie, I'ld be more comfortable going with someone I know anyway. I can't say I disagree with your husband in general because you don't know me from Adam's house cat. No harm, no foul. I was going to try to videotape parts of my adventure, it might be pretty entertaining if my friend edits it correctly. I'll see what I can do to turn it into a little show for you so you won't feel like you missed anything.

Susi says *while jumping up and down and scaring the dogs to death*:

:wub: YES!!!! :wub: Major hugs and thank you's :wub: :wub:

I also can understand going with someone you know. Hubby understands it all too well :(

Edited by SweetSusiq

Hi everyone- My daughter told one of her college friends who works as a reporter for the Montgomery News about my trip to see the skeleton. She wants to do a feature story on Mortimer so has agreed to meet me at the restaurant when I go. I'll be sure to link everyone to the article if it runs.

I was doing some research on Selma and I found a cemetery I would like to visit while I am there. There are reported voices heard there at night and I've always suspected that those kinds of paranormal reports are not related to disembodied spirits, but could possibly be bigfoot related. I thought I might ask permission to visit after sundown to see if I can catch anything on video or audio. Here is a link to video about the cemetary:

There are plenty of historical homes there that are included on a Haunted Selma tour that I thought were interesting from an architectural perspective. I don't know if these homes are open to the public right now but I thought I would go by and get some shots of the exteriors while I was there.

Hi everyone- My daughter told one of her college friends who works as a reporter for the Montgomery News about my trip to see the skeleton. She wants to do a feature story on Mortimer so has agreed to meet me at the restaurant when I go. I'll be sure to link everyone to the article if it runs.

I was doing some research on Selma and I found a cemetery I would like to visit while I am there. There are reported voices heard there at night and I've always suspected that those kinds of paranormal reports are not related to disembodied spirits, but could possibly be bigfoot related. I thought I might ask permission to visit after sundown to see if I can catch anything on video or audio. Here is a link to video about the cemetary:

There are plenty of historical homes there that are included on a Haunted Selma tour that I thought were interesting from an architectural perspective. I don't know if these homes are open to the public right now but I thought I would go by and get some shots of the exteriors while I was there.

Absolutely *bathe* yourself in mosquito repellent at night, perhaps daytime also. You have no idea of the horrors of the zillions of mosquitoes that frequent Selma.Remember your ears, back of neck, and lightly spray your hair if you are out at night.

Are you going alone to those cemeteries at night, and you published this on a national forum?

Jodie, My Heavens!?

Plus, Don't do it alone, ever. I know those areas, I grew up in Alabama, and lived a few years in Selma.

Jodie, my fears are founded on truth.

FGS, Please be careful.

If something were to happen to you.... :o

Edited by SweetSusiq

Now you are concerned about what gets put on the forum? :lol: Susie, I've told you I'm not going anywhere alone. The cemetery jaunt in the evening is totally dependent on whether I can get permission, I will visit it during the day for sure. Thanks for the mosquito warning but I already knew, I grew up in the state. I don't think Selma has the corner market on them. :)

Ok everybody, I heard back from the CFZ and they are willing to take my specimen for DNA analysis. The results won't be speedy, though, so it may be awhile before we know Mortimer's heritage.

Guest Tsalagi

Sorry I am getting into this discussion really late, but this is fishing season so you won't see me around much. I am worried they may hide the skeleton now that they have been alerted to widespread interest. I think it would have been best to just go in as tourists and photograph him and claim to be fascinated with biology, archeology or some other good excuse. Course that wouldn't get a DNA sample, but I'm not sure if you can really get a legitimate one. Southerners are clannish and don't like outsiders poking around. Its entirely plausible that some Southerner might have a BF skeleton and not widely publicize it. There are a lot of weird local legends and sometimes relics you find in the South that they don't like letting on about to the "big city people". The South is like a whole other world.

To answer some questions posed earlier in the discussion- yes you can tell by looking if skeletons are Native American. The skulls look different than Caucasians and our feet are also different. Native Americans, Eskimos, Inuits and South Americans all have wide forefoot with narrow heels for instance. (the whole reason the Nike N7 Air Native shoes were created lol) And depending very much on tribe or area of country differences in cheek bones, jaw bones and we also have what is called "shovel teeth". There is a ledge on the backside of teeth, some tribes have wide front teeth with a gap between teeth and no carrabelli cusp on the maxillary first molars. Also crooked little finger ( I would post a pic of my hands to demonstrate but I bit my nails off and would be embarrassed to show), inverted chest bone, second toe is longer than big toe with wider space between the two toes, sometimes little toe will lie underneath other toe. If you are non-Native and have Native friend it could be fun to compare body parts. There are other things that are different too but you won't get that from having just the skeleton to look at.

Here's some links to decent pics of shovel teeth which I think would be your best bet for quick identification of a possible Native skeleton. Oh and that said the Cherokee did used to state there was a family within the tribe known for being extremely tall and there were numerous stories of why they were so tall. You can see it at Qualla Boundary today where many fullbloods are rather short then you will see one guy among them who is super tall. In fact most of my family is rather short 5'0-5'7 yet my great-grandfather was 6'7" so that's getting close to 7'0... A doctor told me she thought that sort of anomaly was caused by adrenal disorders. So keep that in mind when viewing the skeleton it could be a Native with a medical disorder. There is a strong possibility a Native skeleton in Alabama could be Cherokee. I do recall stories of very tall Creeks as well.

Shovel teeth: http://www.fourdir.com/chapter_1__american_prehistory.htm

http://explorermf.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/cloning-an-extinct-cousin-a-new-life-for-neanderthals/

Edited by Tsalagi

Well Bill everything is going as planned. The owner has agreed to let me take a toe bone so I don't have to drag my drill down to Selma or into the restaurant. The reporter called last night and she is meeting me at the restaurant. There is a problem with shipping the specimen to the CFZ. They won't allow anyone to ship human remains without a license. Universities with anthropology and archaeology departments usually do have a license so I'm going to wait until the anthropologist I was talking to gets back from vacation and ask if he will mail it for me.