7+ Feet Tall Skeleton Displayed In Selma Alabama Restaurant

That's good news Jodie. I'm glad its so far worked out positively especially the archeologists being there. Hopefully there hasn't been any form of switch over the years and its the same one Sus and Hub saw back then. Don't forget to get someone to take a few good pics sooner then later. We shall see what it turns out to be. Susie will be happy. smile.gif

Edited by PragmaticTheorist

I know I'm excited :D . It will be interesting to know if it is just a human; whether it is NA, black, or white with a metabolic disorder or something else. Plus, I'm hoping that the archaeologists will agree to share their DNA results with me and vice versa. If I can locate them to discuss it, I will ask.

I actually broke down in tears when I read the previous posts. Thank you each and every one for your kind words and hard work to establish the truth of what Mortimer may be.

Jodie, I stand in humble admiration of your efforts. I had no concept how to go about all of the actions you have taken, nor even thought to do it. I did not know what to do.

That poor skeleton has haunted me for over 20 years. :( Something was just not normal about it, and now I have some peace knowing that at least we will discover if he is a BF or an Indian. I truly hope if he is a young BF that researchers will get involved with Jodie to help her document anything that she may need help doing or locating to verify the truth of Mortimer's genetics.

**Funny** antidote: Last night it was hubby who brought the picture over to the topic. I could not do it. Hubby said he really should have taught me a little more than *How to turn on and off the computer* Ya think? :rolleyes:

Admin

Looking forward to those photos, Jodie. Good luck and Have fun!

UPDATE:

I just got through speaking with the owner. The skeleton is real !!!! A team of archaeologists are in the process of looking at some sites in the area that got unearthed during the renovation of the historic Selma riverfront area. They saw the skeleton and have offered to do free DNA testing since it is their opinion that these are not NA remains. The owner also said I was welcome to come and take photographs and also take a sample for DNA testing. I'm going to try to catch up with the archaeologists when I get there and talk further with them about the skeleton.

According to her history the skeleton was unearthed 100 years ago, the site of origin is unknown, a physician had possession of it for years before donating it to a previous owner of the restaurant. It is sitting in a stairway right now in the restaurant. The owner said the best time to come for pics would be about 2:30 pm after the lunch rush hour. I told her I would be coming in the next two weeks and would call her again to let her know exactly what date. They are only be open M-F.

:D I gave you the point because thanks to you and the efforts that you have put forth about this skeleton we may have located a BF skeleton hiding in plain sight.

Did you notice how long the arms were? The head shape is correct, but too small in the drawing. It's skull is *not* that small, and the head shape is correct.. The second I saw the drawing my heart stopped. I recognized it *immediately* as the skeleton that I saw there every time we ate there 20+ years ago.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!! We may have us a BF skeleton hiding in plain sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I brought this up at the previous forum no one was very interested at that time. Thankfully Jodie was interested and answered the topic, and has gotten the ball rolling.

We May Have Had a BF skeleton hiding in plain sight for almost 30 years! I always knew that *something* was *other* about that skeleton!

Edited by SweetSusiq

I imagine the archaeologists on site there in the area think something is unusual too or I don't think they would have offered to do their own DNA testing. I'm calling USC's anthropology department this afternoon to see if they have any kind of recommendations on collection and I've PM'ed BobZenor for some advice. The skeleton is very brittle, I don't want to damage it.

Keep your feet on the ground Susie. Don't get too excited yet or you may set yourself up for a letdown. Remember it could also be someone like Andre the Giant too. There are still many alternatives available to explain and you haven't verified if its the same skeleton yet either. The known history of it will be just as interesting to know more about. Maybe there is even a Bill of Sale that would tell more? Lots of unanswered questions at this point...

Jodie, What do you think about me calling the Selma paper and asking them to send a photographer over to Grumbles and have them take a picture and send it to you and me?

The paper may have one on file that they could send to our computers, correct? Can something like that be done?

Please respond if you would rather talk to them, or wish for me to do so. I do not wish to step on your toes since you are the one who has gotten the ball rolling..

Susie, that could also have the unintended affect of them looking for a possible story too, and that may be premature and bring too much attention to this for a variety of reasons. A skeleton of unknown origin in a food establishment. Hmmm

Edited by PragmaticTheorist

Keep your feet on the ground Susie. Don't get too excited yet or you may set yourself up for a letdown. Remember it could also be someone like Andre the Giant too. There are still many alternatives available to explain and you haven't verified if its the same skeleton yet either. The known history of it will be just as interesting to know more about. Maybe there is even a Bill of Sale that would tell more? Lots of unanswered questions at this point...

:wub: P.T., You are so sweet and thoughtful to be concerned about my feelings..

I do know that the skeleton is a genuine skeleton, and from reading the info Jodie has posted, and from seeing the drawing of Mortimer in the picture, I recognized him.

It's the same skeleton except the real head is not that small but the artist did get the odd shape correctly and the legs are longer than in the drawing, that is Mortimer, I recognized him immediately.

I sincerely believe that the same skeleton hubby and I saw, plus talked to the original owner about, a local physician, is still there, and will finally be identified in the near future.

It's odd the way that skeleton has haunted me ever since the day I first saw it.

I grew up around skeletons used for research, I known the human body and the skeleton that supports the body.

I have never seen anything that looked like Mortimer. I have been to the Smithsonian and The London Museum of Natural History, and nothing there had looked like Mortimer and that's what struck me when I first saw him.

He was *other* looking, and I just knew it. I never considered him being a BF skeleton until years later.

Mike lives a good ways from Selma and Shawn is in Montgomery, neither that are close enough to go snap a pic. In my excitement of actually catching the owner in the restaurant and finding out the skeleton was real I forgot to ask for a pic, I'm sorry y'all. It was really a surprise for me. I believed you Susie when you said it was real but I just couldn't fathom a real skeleton still being in a restaurant after all these years. That might be why it is sitting in the stairwell instead of sitting out in the restaurant proper, because of health codes. It is going to be tough getting any kind of good DNA off a skeleton that has been sitting out in the public all of this time. It would have been easier if it had been in the ground. I'll figure out the best way to do it without tearing the skeleton up.

Edited by Jodie

Guest billgreen2010

Back in the late 70s, I was working up in Selma on a railroad bridge that was being built. I spent a few weeks up there and I remember eating in the place with the skeleton and the Rebel flag. I didn't think to much of it at the time as I just thought it was a imitation and not real. Not something you find every day..for sure.

Selma also has an Arts and Crafts fair in the same area and I think I saw it while walking around the crafts fair.

They called him "Mortimer" Here is a link to some info.

Mortimer

More info I found.

Riverfront Market Day

Mike (watch1)

hey watch1 WOW great new update but to be continued indeedy :)

Susie, that could also have the unintended affect of them looking for a possible story too, and that may be premature and bring too much attention to this for a variety of reasons. A skeleton of unknown origin in a food establishment. Hmmm

Okay P.T., I'll not call anyone. I do not wish to stir the pot too much. But I sincerely suspect that the paper will have a picture of Mortimer in their archives. Would it stir the water too much to ask for a copy of Mortimer to be sent to my computer, and then hubby can post it here, or someone here can tell me how to do the transfer to the forum?

I appreciate any and all advice. It sounds like a bunch of people are suddenly jumping all over Mortimer.

I wonder if this is occurring because of my posting? :(

Mike lives a good ways from Selma and Shawn is in Montgomery, neither that are close enough to go snap a pic. In my excitement of actually catching the owner in the restaurant and finding out the skeleton was real I forgot to ask for a pic, I'm sorry y'all. It was really a surprise for me. I believed you Susie when you said it was real but I just couldn't fathom a real skeleton still being in a restaurant after all these years. That might be why it is sitting in the stairwell instead of sitting out in the restaurant proper, because of health codes. It is going to be tough getting any kind of good DNA off a skeleton that has been sitting out in the public all of this time. It would have been easier if it had been in the ground. I'll figure out the best way to do it without tearing the skeleton up.

Jodie, When do you think that you are going? I may just tell hubby that I am a big girl, and that I am capable of getting to Selma by myself to meet you.

I drive a suburban, I can get to Selma in one day with an early start, but I will probably need to spend the night on the road somewhere :( I could call family and see if I could spend the night with them to help hubby feel a little more secure about me traveling so far alone. Hubby is very protective, hates to waste money, and he sees the trip as expensive and dangerous for me to do alone. :(

Hubby can afford for me to take the trip, he just thinks that I am wasting my time because he thinks if this thing was *other* than human, someone would have already noticed it. Well, someone did, I have known for years something was *off* about that skeleton.

We live a couple of states away from Selma. It would be a long drive but worth it IMVOHO.

My son thinks it may only be about an 8 - 10 hour drive, so with an early start I could meet you in the afternoon or early evening at the restaurant before they close.

Edited by SweetSusiq

Lets go to PM to discuss travel arrangements just in case some bigfoot fiends decide to track us down on the road and knock us off before we get a chance to go down in bigfoot history. :lol: