7+ Feet Tall Skeleton Displayed In Selma Alabama Restaurant

Back in the late 70s, I was working up in Selma on a railroad bridge that was being built. I spent a few weeks up there and I remember eating in the place with the skeleton and the Rebel flag. I didn't think to much of it at the time as I just thought it was a imitation and not real. Not something you find every day..for sure.

Selma also has an Arts and Crafts fair in the same area and I think I saw it while walking around the crafts fair.

They called him "Mortimer" Here is a link to some info.

Mortimer

More info I found.

Riverfront Market Day

Mike (watch1)

That is exactly how the skeleton, the long arms and legs, the odd shaped head, just everything is correct, except it's bigger in person..

Be sure to notice the *long* arms. I don't remember the head being that small, but that is Mortimer.

Thanks Watch1...!!!!!

:blush: Sorry about having trouble moving the picture. :blush::rolleyes:

Did I miss something? I didn't find photos of the skeleton in either of those links.

the link is at the top of the first post.

A drawing of Mortimer is right there in front of you.

That is an accurate representation of the skeleton, except the skull size fits the body. The skull is too small in the drawing IIRC, and I think that I am correct..

Admin

This discussion is being merged with the other thread on this topic.

Being impatient, because I want to know if the skeleton is still there and if it is real, I contacted the Southeastern Paranormal Research group who have been there many times to eat while in Selma doing investigations. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I also tried calling the restaurant but keep getting a busy signal. I think my best bet is to call in the AM right before they open and see if the manager can give me some history on Mortimer. If the manager/owner is willing I'll ask for a phone pic of Mortimer regardless of whether he is real or not just so everyone can see what all the fuss has been about.

Susie, my feelings are that in addition to Jodi's efforts, you should ask your husband to do you a favor and make a few phone calls to some peers down in Selma.

While some here may not recognize that there is ample evidence of a real skeleton once being there, and that over time such things are replaced with more tolerable (not so gross and now politically correct) simulations of their previous identity. There has also likely been ownership changes with the restaurant, so the original story probably even got skewed. People shouldn't even be surprised that/if there is a plastic skeleton now in its place. Somewhere over time, someone probably did the right thing and interred Mortimer. The task is, to find out what happened to him. Your husband is just the right person to do it because he is a physician and because he inspected the original skeleton. Tell him I said its time to defend your honor. tongue.gif

Edited by PragmaticTheorist

Shawn Sellars from Southeastern Paranormal Researchers just called back and says the skeleton is no longer in Grumbles. I will still call the restaurant in the AM and try to get some history and what happened to it.

Guest vilnoori

Aw. That is disappointing! I hope you can track it down. From the drawing, and there is no way to know how accurate it is, the skull has a very low dome/forehead and it well could be non-homo sapiens. I hope we didn't miss our chance.

Aw. That is disappointing! I hope you can track it down. From the drawing, and there is no way to know how accurate it is, the skull has a very low dome/forehead and it well could be non-homo sapiens. I hope we didn't miss our chance.

Shawn called me right before he went on air for his radio show so we only had about 10 minutes to talk. He is also interested in cryptids which is why I chose to call him and I knew his group had eaten there before. He said as of last year, the skeleton wasn't there but he thought it was genuine. The story he heard was that it was Chief Tuscaloosa because of the height ( we were all taught that Chief Tuscaloosa was a giant in 9th grade history for the Alabama curriculum). At any rate, he said if I chose to follow up that he would be glad to help when I came down should I decide to make the trip to Selma. I will call the restaurant this AM to see if I can catch the mayor's daughter who bought the place. The hostess I spoke with a month ago did not mention that the skeleton had been removed, she just said she thought it was made in Taiwan and referred me to the manager who wasn't in at the time. So I will post later this afternoon and let everyone know what I find out.

UPDATE:

I just got through speaking with the owner. The skeleton is real !!!! A team of archaeologists are in the process of looking at some sites in the area that got unearthed during the renovation of the historic Selma riverfront area. They saw the skeleton and have offered to do free DNA testing since it is their opinion that these are not NA remains. The owner also said I was welcome to come and take photographs and also take a sample for DNA testing. I'm going to try to catch up with the archaeologists when I get there and talk further with them about the skeleton.

According to her history the skeleton was unearthed 100 years ago, the site of origin is unknown, a physician had possession of it for years before donating it to a previous owner of the restaurant. It is sitting in a stairway right now in the restaurant. The owner said the best time to come for pics would be about 2:30 pm after the lunch rush hour. I told her I would be coming in the next two weeks and would call her again to let her know exactly what date. They are only be open M-F.

Bravo Jodie and Suziq!

Very interesting. Details to follow, as the great Bill Green would say!