7+ Feet Tall Skeleton Displayed In Selma Alabama Restaurant

First thing: Jodie is handling this.

She has made all of the contacts and is setting everything up with the restaurant.

If Mike wishes to go or be a part of it he needs to contact Jodie.

She has been making plans for a few days now, and has everything planned and set up.

Is Mike the Alabama BF leader?

Jodie has contacted the head guy at Alabama BF, she has left messages, and hopes to meet him at the restaurant.

I do know that.

Yes, Hubby and I both handled the bones. When we were there it was a true skeleton. The skeleton was rather amazing.

He is huge, long legs and arms. His is the largest skeleton that hubby and I have ever seen and up until today that is still true.

I'm so hopeful that Jodie will be able to get a tooth and bone fragment.

If he is a BF, he was a young BF, his bones had not thickened enough to carry the muscular of an adult BF IMOVHO. Do realize that this is only my opinion about the age of the skeleton.

The bones were the correct bone color.

Yes, Mike is the head of the Alabama BF group - and Jodie already said above that she had been contact with her and would get back to her with any new information. That is why I said, Mike should handle it and save Jodie the trip.

You still didn't answer how you knew the skeleton was 7 feet tall. Did you measure it? Is that what they told you? What is the correct bone color? What did the bones feel like?

P.S. I would let Mike handle this - he is very trustworthy and his opinion would be highly respected.

Gotcha Hairy, I trust Mike too. It's been sitting there for 25 years, it can sit a little longer. I will hold off calling until I hear back from Mike.

Is it really that strange to see a skeleton 7' tall? Have there been people 7' tall? Wouldn't 7' tall be short for a squatch? Why is this such a dramatic thing? I don't get it. I mean sure, 7' is outside the norm, even for an NBA player, buy it's not like the worlds tallest man or anything, and, if it were a squatch wouldn't there be other things that seemed very abnormal, thicker bones, facial structure, larger feet with a different shape (arch), etc.? Height seems like the least exciting thing about a skeleton.

The reason I think that is unusual is because of the reported age of the skeleton if it is truly a NA. DeSoto had recorded how tall some of the NA people were when he was traveling through Alabama. Those reports of the taller Muscogee are just reports, we don't have any NA remains to support that entry in DeSoto's diary.That was a good 400+ years ago and the average European man back then wasn't over 5'6" . That's what has snagged my attention to this, knowing the Alabama History involved. Being 7 foot tall today would not be out of the realm of possibility, back then, it was extremely unusual.

I honestly feel that if this scenario plays out that way, I really don't care who does what, or is responsible, gets credit, money, or what have you, as long as I get to know the end result.

Edit- Just checked my e-mail. Mike said he ate there several years ago, saw the skeleton, didn't think much of it because he thought it was fake. He said he would check around and get back to me if he hears anything new.

That is fabulous news!* Tell him 20 years ago the bones were real.*

Two physician's handled and inspected the skeleton. My hubby and the doctor who received them both stated they were real; And it is so long and big, different from what I've seen in any laboratory, legs long, arms, it was so odd.

For 20+ years Bones has bothered me, why was he like that, and how could people disrespect someone the way they have poor Bones/Mortimer?

Jodie, I'd sell the house to be able to go with you but hubby cannot leave at this time and he refuses to let me go alone.

(I'm going to have to learn to keep my mouth shut about my adventures, hubby remembers every word, and then says "No, You'll run into trouble and adventure AGAIN and I'm on call and can't come get or help you!!") :(

That is fabulous news!* Tell him 20 years ago the bones were real.*

Two physician's handled and inspected the skeleton. My hubby and the doctor who received them both stated they were real; And it is so long and big, different from what I've seen in any laboratory, legs long, arms, it was so odd.

For 20+ years Bones has bothered me, why was he like that, and how could people disrespect someone the way they have poor Bones/Mortimer?

Jodie, I'd sell the house to be able to go with you but hubby cannot leave at this time and he refuses to let me go alone.

(I'm going to have to learn to keep my mouth shut about my adventures, hubby remembers every word, and then says "No, You'll run into trouble and adventure AGAIN and I'm on call and can't come get or help you!!") :(

I told him the back story Susie, he lives a pretty good ways from Selma so probably can't go to the restaurant unless, like me, it warrants a trip to check it out should it be real. I'll wait to hear back from him as far as what he finds out. At any rate, it will be 2-3 weeks before I'll be down there so I imagine we will know if it is real or not before then.

Yes, Mike is the head of the Alabama BF group - and Jodie already said above that she had been contact with her and would get back to her with any new information. That is why I said, Mike should handle it and save Jodie the trip.

You still didn't answer how you knew the skeleton was 7 feet tall. Did you measure it? Is that what they told you? What is the correct bone color? What did the bones feel like?

I'm sorry Hairy Man, I'm pretty protective of my friends, and I feared someone coming along that Jodie may not have wanted to deal with. Since we are females I hope that you understand my concern.

I saw Mortimer hanging up 20+ years ago, and I saw him draped over a beer barrel w/o any clothes or cover on another day.

He is so long that it stopped me in my tracks when I first saw it. In fact, Due to the way the skeleton looked is why my physician hubby and myself both talked to the Physician who had been paid with the skeleton. The bones were whitish, totally cleaned, he is a skeleton, and 7 feet tall, and I touched him to see if he were real.He's the longest skeleton purported to be human that I remember ever seeing.

I hope that we can find out if this guy is human or not, and I hope that it is not human. :D

I'm sorry Hairy Man, I'm pretty protective of my friends, and I feared someone coming along that Jodie may not have wanted to deal with. Since we are females I hope that you understand my concern.

I saw Mortimer hanging up 20+ years ago, and I saw him draped over a beer barrel w/o any clothes or cover on another day.

He is so long that it stopped me in my tracks when I first saw it. In fact, Due to the way the skeleton looked is why my physician hubby and myself both talked to the Physician who had been paid with the skeleton. The bones were whitish, totally cleaned, he is a skeleton, and 7 feet tall, and I touched him to see if he were real.He's the longest skeleton purported to be human that I remember ever seeing.

I hope that we can find out if this guy is human or not, and I hope that it is not human. :D

Oh of course - I'm protective of my friends as well and especially of nurses (my sisters are Nurse Practitioners with M.S. degrees).

The fact that he was white does give me pause - true skeletons will be yellow to dark brown due to aging and time in the ground. Bones are only white if left on the surface or intentionally bleached - making me think this was definitely a prepared skeleton. A prepared skeleton of what, I guess, is what needs to be answered.

I told him the back story Susie, he lives a pretty good ways from Selma so probably can't go to the restaurant unless, like me, it warrants a trip to check it out should it be real. I'll wait to hear back from him as far as what he finds out. At any rate, it will be 2-3 weeks before I'll be down there so I imagine we will know if it is real or not before then.

Jodie, if I have some lead time I can arrange to make the trip and meet you there. Hubby would be with me, and he can verify whether or not they are still real bones.

I'm the person who started all of this, I should have to verify that what was true 20 years ago is still true today.

I'll tell hubby so he can take that weekend off. We could pick you up from your mother's house and take you with us, then drop you back at your mom's house. I'll pick up the expenses so that hubby does not fuss. I receive a very small annuity every month and with lead time I can save up and be able to pay for gas and food. Hopefully hubby will not charge me for his driving skills! :rolleyes:

Now that I know the restaurant won't get in trouble for displaying the bones, I feel freer about calling for info on exactly where the bones were found (if they can remember) and ask about the head shape..

Oh of course - I'm protective of my friends as well and especially of nurses (my sisters are Nurse Practitioners with M.S. degrees).

The fact that he was white does give me pause - true skeletons will be yellow to dark brown due to aging and time in the ground. Bones are only white if left on the surface or intentionally bleached - making me think this was definitely a prepared skeleton. A prepared skeleton of what, I guess, is what needs to be answered.

They were whitish, not stark white, but more lighter than browner. They has only been out for on display for a few months I believe before we discovered them, and were intrigued enough to make an appointment to talk to the physician who owned them.

I may still have some friends there. I'll pull up the white pages and see if any of them are still living in the area, and ask about the history since we left..

Jodie, if I have some lead time I can arrange to make the trip and meet you there. Hubby would be with me, and he can verify whether or not they are still real bones.

I'm the person who started all of this, I should have to verify that what was true 20 years ago is still true today.

I'll tell hubby so he can take that weekend off. We could pick you up from your mother's house and take you with us, then drop you back at your mom's house. I'll pick up the expenses so that hubby does not fuss. I receive a very small annuity every month and with lead time I can save up and be able to pay for gas and food. Hopefully hubby will not charge me for his driving skills! :rolleyes:

Now that I know the restaurant won't get in trouble for displaying the bones, I feel freer about calling for info on exactly where the bones were found (if they can remember) and ask about the head shape..

Well Susie, I would really rather wait and see what Mike has to say about the authenticity of the skeleton. If he says it's real, then if he wants to follow up, I'm more than glad to let him do that since I only have one day to do this. If the skeleton is real, it will probably take a lot more than one day to do background research etc....Now if Mike is not interested in this, I would say a road trip is in order. :)

Sounds like a switch was made long before now. Good luck tracking down the original. Must be a storeroom full of real bones somewhere, and a supply of phony ones ready to go on the opposite side of the room. Probably an annex at Area 51. lol wink.gif

Seriously though Susie, it will be important that you and your husband do get a close look at it. You know what more to look for from memory. Don't share that with anyone until you see it yourself. K

Oh and keep an eye in your rear view mirror on the way home. tongue.gif

Dave

Edited by PragmaticTheorist

The average height of a male currently, in the US, is 5' 9". That is only about 1" taller than the plains Indians of the 1800s. The plains Indians were not very far from the SE US (the area of Arkansas/Louisianna), and within a state or so of Alabama.

Edited by Ace

Sounds like a switch was made long before now. Good luck tracking down the original. Must be a storeroom full of real bones somewhere, and a supply of phony ones ready to go on the opposite side of the room. Probably an annex at Area 51. lol wink.gif

Seriously though Susie, it will be important that you and your husband do get a close look at it. You know what more to look for from memory. Don't share that with anyone until you see it yourself. K

Dave

Thank you, and trust me, I will not be alone. I'm taking company when I go. It'll be fun whatever we may find :D

Well Ace, no one has any NA remains that are 7 feet tall. The only record I've ever seen stating unusual height for Native Americans was in DeSoto's log/diary that we studied in the ninth grade in my Alabama History class. DeSoto specifically mentioned Cheif Tuscaloosa and his son as being extraordinarily tall, everyone else was average height. To me, a seven foot tall authentic skeleton that was found in that area of Alabama would be significant because the exact location for that battlefield where DeSoto was ambushed isn't known. If we could trace where the skeleton came from, if nothing else, it could potentially lead to that battlefield, assuming it is a legitimate skeleton and Native American. Of course, if it is a bigfoot skeleton, that's even better.

Dave

Don't bones exposed to the air and sunlight become lighter with time?

The physician who received the bones had to be in his late 70's and still working back then when we sorta investigated the Bones, and asked him about them. Whatever or whoever they may have been, they were real 20+ plus years ago.

Edited by SweetSusiq