Area X/NAWAC updates?

dopelyrics

1 hour ago, norseman said:

.........I don’t think a state agency could keep a lid on it. 

Government can never keep a lid on anything. They don't need to. All they have to do is keep saying "Bah! Humbug!", or ignoring it, and the majority will sing along, primarily because they don't care one way or the other. 

Meanwhile, a minority drives itself nuts trying to figure out how to make people recognize what they don't want to recognize............

2 hours ago, norseman said:

..........Back to Smeja. How that story broke is that Derek Randles found him on a hunting forum. Derek Randles went down to California to verify it. I would think the government could do a better job of stopping such a leak before it starts?.........

It was classic law enforcement; let the idiot talk himself into jail. The authorities were nowhere to be seen or heard (just like the PG event) until Smeja provided the evidence that pinned him: the "steak". Dead meat. The authorities even let somebody else pay for the forensic examination (DNA analysis) that came up as bear.

Then they closed in. They simply interrogated him, let him lie, and then indicted him on felony perjury charges along with all the minor fish and feathers accusations that really don't mean squat. It was all an afterthought, because it was easy, and the entire effort was simply to seize his firearms and ban him from possessing them for the rest of his life. They don't care about dead sasquatches or dead bears. They wanted those guns.

They're going to get them, too.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Government can never keep a lid on anything. They don't need to. All they have to do is keep saying "Bah! Humbug!", or ignoring it, and the majority will sing along, primarily because they don't care one way or the other. 

Meanwhile, a minority drives itself nuts trying to figure out how to make people recognize what they don't want to recognize............

It was classic law enforcement; let the idiot talk himself into jail. The authorities were nowhere to be seen or heard (just like the PG event) until Smeja provided the evidence that pinned him: the "steak". Dead meat. The authorities even let somebody else pay for the forensic examination (DNA analysis) that came up as bear.

Then they closed in. They simply interrogated him, let him lie, and then indicted him on felony perjury charges along with all the minor fish and feathers accusations that really don't mean squat. It was all an afterthought, because it was easy, and the entire effort was simply to seize his firearms and ban him from possessing them for the rest of his life. They don't care about dead sasquatches or dead bears. They wanted those guns.

They're going to get them, too.

I do not believe his poaching charges are related to the “Bigfoot” event.

And I’m not driving myself nuts. In fact I’m chomping at the bit to ride my horse in the mountains. Fun stuff.

I am surprised so many of you believe Smeja actually shot Sasquatches. 

In my opinion he was just another fire hunting bear poacher with a made up story. 

Had he actually shot man apes I would think the government would have acted upon this rather swiftly. 

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Well, they == F&W did act on it, but on the bear end of things apparently. 

Sure, those in the know will claim conspiracy, too little too late, etc., ad nauseum

Never believed much of the story-line myself personally, juveniles, deaf-speech, his own friend never vouched for what came down.  

Have you noticed nobody has caught on to the deaf-speech idea of Sasquatch vocalizations.  I have heard some pretty odd vocalizations from the target species, but never got the impression they had speech/language impairment.  They can emulate pretty much any sound they wish to, animal, vegetable, mineral, human, mechanized, etc

Life-long poachers deserve more than search and seizure, they deserve time. . 

Yah, tough to say that, but my maternal ancestors were kicked off park and TVA lands and were Native Americans in part so sure I have both perspectives fully in mind when I make my opinion clear. 

Edited by bipedalist

40 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

In my opinion he was just another fire hunting bear poacher with a made up story. 

Had he actually shot man apes I would think the government would have acted upon this rather swiftly. 

Agreed, seems to be nothing more than a story teller that has already gotten to much attention.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Im on the fence. He did pass a lie detector test. But no proof is no proof. So ultimately it does not matter.

1 hour ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I agree that Smeja is likely a run-of-the-mill poacher, and I doubt he shot a sasquatch. The "steak" was determined to be bear, but in all honesty, I trust DNA science less than I trust backwoods poachers.

And who do I trust the least? The government who is protecting the bears from Smeja, protecting my grandkids from cougars, bears, and sharks, and who are protecting sasquatches from me.

BFF Patron

Smeja and those that honor his legacy are misguided!

BFF Patron

Well sadly I have met Smedja.   Most feelings about him posted in this thread are my own.     I don't know if he really shot any sasquatch,  but I can read him well enough to know that he is not very bright, and a fame and glory seeker.    Throw in his propensity for poaching and I don't have much good to say about him.   What sticks out in my mind when I met him at that conference is his honest surprise that people hate him for what he said he did.   He thought he would be universally accepted as some sort of hero.    Sure maybe a BF needs to be shot to prove they exist, but if he did shoot one,  he completely botched everything he did and all he did was waste sasquatch lives needlessly.   Actually if anyone deserves to have their guns taken away, a life long poacher is it in my estimation. 

• Upvote 1

You are a nice man. I try to be. 

He is a fraud.. Sadly so. 

Unfortunately most people involved in the study of the creature are. 

Makes it so difficult for us Scientist to  take the subject serious. 

Trust me I do. I am holding out for that smoking gun.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:54 AM, MIB said:

Absolutely possible.  Given the opportunity, I would, and I know several others I've done field work with who would, too.  

MIB

I'd do that in a heartbeat. 

I've ran into enough poacher leftovers now, rotting and disgusting in the woods, to dislike the breed. I have a friend who hints poachers for the .gov and I support him wholeheartedly. Poachers suck. No one is really that poor that they have to poach to eat. It's laziness, sneakiness and disrespect of animals and the law.

Edited by Madison5716

11 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

He is a fraud.. Sadly so. 

Unfortunately most people involved in the study of the creature are. 

Makes it so difficult for us Scientist to  take the subject serious. 

With all due respect PG, I don't know where you get the "most people involved in the study of the creature" statistic from.  Maybe you can explain. I've met a few people who love to get their name in front of people but have never met anyone I know to be a fraud. 

By extension, do you apply your >50% fraud statistic to this forum as well?

Edited by wiiawiwb

1 hour ago, Madison5716 said:

.........No one is really that poor that they have to poach to eat. It's laziness, sneakiness and disrespect of animals and the law.

Poaching isn't about getting food, despite what poachers will say. It's all about the killing. It's the same instinct that prompts wolves, bears, and cats to chase prey animals that run away. It's the same thing that causes house cats to kill songbirds as often as possible without eating them. Here's an example of just how gross it can be, and how political correctness (more accurately, nativism) can look the other way:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article/eight-charged-point-hope-caribou-slaughter/2009/03/17/

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I've ran into enough poacher leftovers now, rotting and disgusting in the woods, to dislike the breed. I have a friend who hints poachers for the .gov and I support him wholeheartedly. Poachers suck. No one is really that poor that they have to poach to eat. It's laziness, sneakiness and disrespect of animals and the law.

Today. Because you can go get food stamps.

My mother and aunt where raised by their grandpa. He was a old crippled logger that poached deer. He had a model T pickup with a hollowed out seat and a broomstick Mauser that fit in the buttstock. Would take the family black berry picking and shoot the fattest doe he could find.

4 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

And greed.

• masterbarber pinned and unpinned this topic