Why is Bigfoot still a joke to so many people?

Bigfoot Gumbo

I've always been interested in Bigfoot and I believe it exists. I even started a podcast on the topic. However, I'm always concerned when I bring up the topic to people because I know most of them will think I'm nuts. I have converted a lot of friends over the years but it still seems like it is a joke to most people. What are your thoughts on this?

I don't bring the subject up. If somebody else does, I'll admit my confidence in their existence. If there is further discussion, I go along with simple, effective counter points, but I don't push it. 

Bears. lions, wolves, and snakes are bad enough. Most people don't want another monster out there to be afraid of, even most mature, armed men. I'll let them enjoy the comfort they find in denial and ignorance.

• Upvote 2

All subjects need context. I can't stand it when people bring up things I don't want to hear about or talk about.  Think about why it is necessary to share discussion of Bigfoot with a specific person or group.  If its awkward, just forget it.  Not worth it.  If you are on a hike or hunt or long drive with dead air or someplace where there is context, that makes more sense.

18 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I don't bring the subject up. If somebody else does, I'll admit my confidence in their existence. If there is further discussion, I go along with simple, effective counter points, but I don't push it. 

Bears. lions, wolves, and snakes are bad enough. Most people don't want another monster out there to be afraid of, even most mature, armed men. I'll let them enjoy the comfort they find in denial and ignorance.

I’ve never been a believer in the idea of people being afraid of BF.  I only hear fear being a reason for non belief or reason for conspiracy on the BF boards as a default excuse.  I believe BF is laughed at and ridiculed based on the lack of any solid proof provided in umpteen years and the silly hoaxes and shows that have made mainstream media.  Bigfoot has zero credibility outside the community.  

• Thanks 1

The OP's first sentence says it all. One word, actually. "Believe."

Until concrete evidence is submitted, it will be thus.

25 minutes ago, Twist said:

I’ve never been a believer in the idea of people being afraid of BF.  I only hear fear being a reason for non belief or reason for conspiracy on the BF boards as a default excuse..........

I know for a fact that my wife is afraid of the remote possibility of a bigfoot encounter, and I'm pretty sure my daughters are, too. And a man discouraged me from telling bigfoot stories to his kids (even though that's exactly what they repeatedly asked me for) because he didn't want them to be afraid in the woods. I've also read multiple admissions from grown, armed men on outdoor hunting forums that a bigfoot encounter would scare them. 

.........I believe BF is laughed at and ridiculed based on the lack of any solid proof provided in umpteen years and the silly hoaxes and shows that have made mainstream media........

I agree that many ridicule sasquatchery based upon the official rejection of the phenomenon by the science industry, and I agree that hoaxes are extremely counter productive and add to the ridicule, but that is clearly not the only reason. "Only reasons" are more rare than sasquatches.

........Bigfoot has zero credibility outside the community.

Actually, sasquatchery has high acceptance among the dreamer crowd. We've seen overwhelming evidence of that right here on this forum. Harry and the Hendersons created an entirely new class of sasquatch acceptance among the ignorant, and much of that was by eliminating the fear. Make sasquatches friendly, non-violent, fun, and loving, and the dreamers will climb aboard. 

20 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

The OP's first sentence says it all. One word, actually. "Believe."

Until concrete evidence is submitted, it will be thus.

At least for those who haven't had a sasquatch in their face. There are differing levels of acceptance, doubt, rejection, and denial. Those who had close encounters with a sasquatch go well beyond "belief". 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Huntster said:

sasquatchery has high acceptance among the dreamer crowd. We've seen overwhelming evidence of that right here on this forum. Harry and the Hendersons created an entirely new class of sasquatch acceptance among the ignorant, and much of that was by eliminating the fear. Make sasquatches friendly, non-violent, fun, and loving, and the dreamers will climb aboard. 

Is it acceptance or generations of humans who grew up on pixar and related entertainment and will enjoy whatever is put in front of them? Force fed lifestyles of this day and age has many varieties. Audiences don't know anything about life other than tech and entertainment addictions.

13 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

Is it acceptance or generations of humans who grew up on pixar and related entertainment and will enjoy whatever is put in front of them?........

I think it's acceptance because they are easily led by whatever is put in front of them in a palatable form. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Twist said:

I’ve never been a believer in the idea of people being afraid of BF.

I was skeptical as well 'til I had a "run-in" in the woods with a large logger type who was so terrified that bigfoot could exist that he threatened to beat the hell out of my research partner if she didn't shut up.   He was 6'2" to 6'3", probably 240 pounds.   She's about 5'5", maybe 110.   But this great big "man" was so scared of her words he was going to beat her into silence.    I'm no longer skeptical.   I will apologize, but I am no longer in a position where I can respect your "belief" since your "belief" contradicts my personal experience.   There is no middle ground, you are simply wrong.

MIB

Admin

Interesting tale MIB. Did the logger have an encounter or did he just know of other credible accounts (from friends or people that he trusted) that terrified him?

9 hours ago, Twist said:

I’ve never been a believer in the idea of people being afraid of BF.  I only hear fear being a reason for non belief or reason for conspiracy on the BF boards as a default excuse.  I believe BF is laughed at and ridiculed based on the lack of any solid proof provided in umpteen years and the silly hoaxes and shows that have made mainstream media.  Bigfoot has zero credibility outside the community.  

I think that's pretty spot on but most people who  laugh  or ridicule the subject are the same people who never spend anytime in the outdoors.

The deep woods camping , hunting , hiking alone or with a partner can be a scary place to be by it self sometimes without the existence of monsters. .  At least in my experience the people who seem to laugh the least at the subject are the people who spend the most time in the outdoors . Maybe those laughing need to go out some time  and experience how vast the deep woods can be . I'm on the east coast so I don't live in the (mecca )for lack of a better word  Bigfoot country but I spent a lot of time in the North woods of Maine.

Sometimes that place can feel like you went back in time. I still think there's deep woods  out there a mans never walked .

BFF Patron
12 hours ago, Bigfoot Gumbo said:

I've always been interested in Bigfoot and I believe it exists. I even started a podcast on the topic. However, I'm always concerned when I bring up the topic to people because I know most of them will think I'm nuts. I have converted a lot of friends over the years but it still seems like it is a joke to most people. What are your thoughts on this?

It is a joke until you have an eye-opening direct encounter or repeat enigmatic interactions that result in knower status; or both. 

You can go in being a nonbeliever or skeptic, everything changes when the above enter the equation. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

A joke is a bit harsh. More like acceptance as myth and folklore. 

Most if not all myths are based on something real that inspired it. 

Most of the people that talk to me about it are convinced the creature may exist in the dark forests and or the wonderful world of make believe. 

I've talked about the subject to friends mainly because they all know I'm an outdoors guy and have been since I was young. Since I've never seen anything out of the ordinary I just tell folks I hope they are real and in my experience camping in California and Oregon there is a whole lot of country out there. Hard to comprehend really. Vast areas where these guys could live. Just the other day I discussed the Patterson film with a buddy. I gave him some things to think about, he wants to rewatch that clip now. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty much my approach as well. IMHO there is little more powerful than that. As long as I bring out the key points to watch for when someone revisits a good version of the PGF I just leave it to them to bring up the subject at a later date. If they don't I don't either. They are either going to gain a different perspective or they are not. The PGF is the best place to begin for most folks as long as they know what to look for in context with the entire 59.5 second sequence. I have found discussions with folks who had paid close attention take on a more meaningful dialogue.