Why is Bigfoot still a joke to so many people?

Bigfoot Gumbo

I recall a William Jevning claim of someone who had sort of accidentally habituated one that didn't take well to not being fed consistently so it broke in, trashed the house, and beat the guy near to death, including taking out the guy's eye.  He that stated MIB types visited the guy in the hospital.  Its just a story.

I also think there is a SC episode with a small Native tribe in Montana, IIRC, that had problems with one in the 70s, and eventually it took a man off his porch and beat him badly or to death.  Again, just a story.

While I'm in here I have thought that, while video is never going to be taken as proof, something compelling may one day be taken of one hunting and ripping apart a deer or elk - IF the video was good quality (i.e. NOT. a phone) or causing one - AND it was originating from someone 'trustworthy' (however that could be defined).  There would still be cries of CGI.  

Admin

My understanding is that if it is CGI, there are always tell-tail signs within the footage. It may take a deep dive into the pixels, but you can find it if you know what you are looking for. Or so I understand. Feel free to correct me if I am in error.

One John Green report of a creature found standing in front of a porch door. When the man opened the door he fired several shots into it with a .22 caliber and closed the door. The creature punched through the door's glass and knocked the man unconscious and when he came to he found that it had torn his two dogs apart.

36 minutes ago, Twist said:

Hunter mentioned Orcas above, I chalk them up to docile while also intelligent.

There was that young woman who was killed by an Orca at an aquarium?

Meant to type a video *carrying* one (as in a deer or elk over its shoulder).  I couldn't see how to edit my post.

There was also a interview I heard (can't recall which podcast, may have be SC?) with a British lady who claimed to be a senior executive with a major corporation who was on assignment to California in the 80s, and was on a beach near Big Sur, and saw and photographed a family.  The alpha took exception and beat her badly (she lost the camera).  She reported it, and was told by some 'authorites' that she was attacked by a bear, to which she adamantly objected.  She sounded to part of a highly educated person, and was either legitimately traumatized or a good actor.  Again, just a story.

2 minutes ago, hiflier said:

One John Green report of a creature found standing in front of a porch door. When the man opened the door he fired several shots into it with a .22 caliber and closed the door. The creature punched through the door's glass and knocked the man unconscious and when he came to he found that it had torn his two dogs apart.

There was that young woman who was killed by an Orca at an aquarium?

Interesting g report I may have to look that up.  If anything though I’d feel that was more proof of them being docile and/or intelligent.  When provoked it did minimal retaliation compared to its capabilities.   It could have turned out way worse for the man shooting a BF with a mere .22.   

Naturally there will be outliers in all species in regards to general behaviors.  

18 minutes ago, Twist said:

Interesting g report I may have to look that up.  If anything though I’d feel that was more proof of them being docile and/or intelligent.  When provoked it did minimal retaliation compared to its capabilities.   It could have turned out way worse for the man shooting a BF with a mere .22.   

Naturally there will be outliers in all species in regards to general behaviors.  

Exactly just like humans 

50 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

I recall a William Jevning claim of someone who had sort of accidentally habituated one that didn't take well to not being fed consistently so it broke in, trashed the house, and beat the guy near to death, including taking out the guy's eye.  He that stated MIB types visited the guy in the hospital.  Its just a story.

I also think there is a SC episode with a small Native tribe in Montana, IIRC, that had problems with one in the 70s, and eventually it took a man off his porch and beat him badly or to death.  Again, just a story.

While I'm in here I have thought that, while video is never going to be taken as proof, something compelling may one day be taken of one hunting and ripping apart a deer or elk - IF the video was good quality (i.e. NOT. a phone) or causing one - AND it was originating from someone 'trustworthy' (however that could be defined).  There would still be cries of CGI.  

Boy I'll tell you that person would  have to have some pretty big balls to stand around and film something like that . I think watching and being that close would terrify  the most hard core researchers .  :D

3 hours ago, Twist said:

How many reports of attacks on humans that have done bodily harm?

The only database I know of ( and certainly the only one I have access to) that is capable of being queried is our own SSR. (Hey, aren't you a premium member? You can query it yourself. Why are you asking us to do it?)

The only criteria that comes close to your question is aggression on the part of the subject. The return was 370 of 6,967 reports, or just a tad over 5% of all reports. I read some of the reports and some didn't reflect much aggression at all (the witness was scared, though), and some (one from the 1800's) had all the features of a gorilla threat display (bluff charges with chest thumping). See the graphs below.

The only report I know of where there was a fatality came from..........wait for it...........the 26th President of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt. This wasn't a mention. It was recorded in his book "Wilderness Hunter". 

I'm not going to read through 370 reports to find more. I'll concede that these creatures appear to be much like gorillas and orcas; fully capable of killing people if they chose, but they simply don't do it..........or don't do it very often.

495823AE-E1D4-43F6-8518-E49B30A2132F.png

E959251A-1B65-4395-B8C1-A600F71E78C4.png

2 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

That was the "Mr. Black" storyline where Will was allegedly fed "inside" info.  I forget from who but I do not think it was a real MIB.  Looking back, I am surprised Will played along since his style is usually more straightforward.  My guess would be he was in character for the show, which Wes attempted to make more of a BF as the enemy type of theme.  He has changed that up now that he has run out of ideas. Not a surprise he has flipped to anything that people will listen to to keep his subscriptions intact.

Edited by Arvedis

2 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Exactly just like humans 

Boy I'll tell you that person would  have to have some pretty big balls to stand around and film something like that . I think watching and being that close would terrify  the most hard core researchers .  :D

The 3000 mm optical focal length Nikon P1000 might do the trick IF it with used on a good tripod with good technique.  Field people should think about always improving their photo skills - may make a differece for someone out there one day!  The big guy won't even know your there.

2 hours ago, Twist said:

........Hunter mentioned Orcas above, I chalk them up to docile while also intelligent.  

I find orcas beyond description. We know they kill and eat other whales. They kill and eat all other marine mammals from polar bears and sea otters to Stellar sea lions and walruses that are larger than pickup trucks. They have been confirmed to kill and eat ungulates (both deer and moose) that swim between islands. They have been confirmed to kill large white sharks and partially eat them. They are regularly shot by commercial fishermen when the steal fish off of long lines. They were hunted by commercial whalers just like other whales right up to and after WWII. 

Yet there isn't a single confirmed case of one killing a human.......but there have been "incidents":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale_attack

If one wanted to, he could destroy my 22' cabin cruiser in short order, never mind the many people I see kayaking out there in Resurrection Bay and Prince William Sound. 

However.........

There is a similar bond between canines and humans. Wolves were the first wild animals domesticated. The legends of man-killing wolves goes back to before recorded human history. In the past century or so, environmentalists (hoping to "preserve" wolves from hunters) have often repeated the claim that there is no recorded case of wild wolves killing anybody. Of course, we Alaskans have heard of such cases from aboriginals, but they are always poh-poohed.

Then this happened:

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/pdfs/wolfattackfatality.pdf

The issue is so controversial ADFG decided to study and officially report it. 

So, in short, have sasquatches, orcas, and wolves killed people in the past? My bet is yes to all three, but it is rare.

It is also rare for anything to be 100%.

The P1000 with tripod might have offered more insight on something like this - whatever it is:

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2019 at 10:05 PM, Huntster said:

I don't bring the subject up. If somebody else does, I'll admit my confidence in their existence. If there is further discussion, I go along with simple, effective counter points, but I don't push it. 

Bears. lions, wolves, and snakes are bad enough. Most people don't want another monster out there to be afraid of, even most mature, armed men. I'll let them enjoy the comfort they find in denial and ignorance.

I brought it up a couple of times and it did not go well.  Lesson learned.  People got to figure it out for themselves.

10 hours ago, Arvedis said:

They have shown intelligence but anything that can rip apart an elk with its bare hands is not docile...

Allegedly.

8 hours ago, Huntster said:

However.........

There is a similar bond between canines and humans. Wolves were the first wild animals domesticated. The legends of man-killing wolves goes back to before recorded human history. In the past century or so, environmentalists (hoping to "preserve" wolves from hunters) have often repeated the claim that there is no recorded case of wild wolves killing anybody. Of course, we Alaskans have heard of such cases from aboriginals, but they are always poh-poohed.

Then this happened:

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/pdfs/wolfattackfatality.pdf

The issue is so controversial ADFG decided to study and officially report it. 

So, in short, have sasquatches, orcas, and wolves killed people in the past? My bet is yes to all three, but it is rare.

It is also rare for anything to be 100%.

There was a news story I read recently (this summer) from the Pacific Northwest.  I don't remember what e-paper I was reading.  A hiker had gone missing after setting out on the Pacific Crest Trail.  Her body was found later and determined she had been consumed by wolves.

17x7

I agree, Orcas are very interesting animals.  

I was asking the question about the sighting reports not as a means of someone else searching for me but as a means to make a point.  Sighting reports do not portray a vicious animal.  Certainly nothing will be 100%, there will always be outliers.