How Many Members have had a sighting/experience?

DrBunsonHoneyDew

1 minute ago, Hoekler73 said:

I'd be attacking trail cams to the sides of the van lol. I've often considered doing this on cabins or tents we stay in to record activity... worth a shot right?

Some places.   This was in a large campground along the Rogue River near Grants Pass, Oregon .. BF is a possibility but improbability at least that time of year.    Her motivation, as a single gal, is different than my motivation as a researcher/investigator/enthusiast.    I sometimes backpack with a camera to set up just outside camp watching camp in case we're approached.    When I do, though, it seems to interfere with activity, not record it.  "Hmmmm."   

2 hours ago, MIB said:

^^^^ One of my GF's friends (since college) lives nearby.   Very nice person but she's a bit of a .. geek :) .. so much so that she has her white mini-van decked out like a Star Trek shuttlecraft including graphics and stickers on the pain.   It's a great camping rig .. if you're about 5'1" tall.   She's got 6-8 motion sensor lights that mount to the car magnetically at night so anything / anyone approaching her vehicle gets lit up.    They work.  The stray cats around the campground we stayed at last fall kept setting them off .. they're very bright and rather irritating for those of us tent camping nearby.  

MIB

I wonder if the passive IR on those lights has a similar effect as trail cams seem to with BF. IOW, keeping them away.

2 hours ago, MIB said:

Some places.   This was in a large campground along the Rogue River near Grants Pass, Oregon .. BF is a possibility but improbability at least that time of year.    Her motivation, as a single gal, is different than my motivation as a researcher/investigator/enthusiast.    I sometimes backpack with a camera to set up just outside camp watching camp in case we're approached.    When I do, though, it seems to interfere with activity, not record it.  "Hmmmm."   

A certain researcher likes to use cams facing behind him hiking. I don't agree with alot of his research,  but that seems to be an intriguing idea that might just work under the right circumstances.

Edited by Hoekler73
grammar and spelling corrections

Have been screamed at, at close quarters, stomped at, tree knocks, BUT no sighting yet. 

Hopefully that will change one of these days.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:55 PM, NorthWind said:

I wonder if the passive IR on those lights has a similar effect as trail cams seem to with BF. IOW, keeping them away.

I have my doubts.    Passive is just that.    The current cameras do not project any sort of beam so there's nothing to be seen.   They have a sensor inside that can detect rapid changes in the amount of heat / light they receive across a very small portion of their surface.    The only time anything ever projects from them is the flash.    Stands to reason that if a BF saw the flash from the camera when a deer tripped it, then the BF might avoid the location of the camera, but the camera itself might as well be a lump of coal.     If there's anything, it's the charge on the battery or the smell of the plastic.   I doubt those, too, because 50% of cameras not place with thought to air movement are downwind of their target, undetectable by smell, and hopefully all of those placed with thought to air movement are out of the air current where they can be smelled.    High pitched buzz / whine .. maybe, but that has been tested with some mighty sensitive detection equipment without any proof of detection.

I tried an experiment a couple years ago.    I set up a camera w/o batteries in the field of view of another camera, then tripped that camera at night to see what the camo plastic case looks like under I.R.   It was a rectangular gray/black box, no sign of any camo.    So supposing BF really can see in the infared end of the spectrum .. I would think that trail cams we place and thing are invisible would be rectangular boxes, plain as day, strapped to the tree, to them.   

Another thing .. observation.   Though sometimes critters appear to see the cameras, I'm not convinced.   I have thousands of pictures of deer, elk, bear, coyotes, skunks, etc which appear completely oblivious to the camera that is taking their picture.   

My cameras have a dark red cover over the IR flash and another over the lens.   The one over the lens especially will glow blood red if it is hit by strong light from the side.    That could be a piece of the detection puzzle.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

One of these days I am going to deck mine out, similar to the way @wiiawiwbdoes it, with bark on it, but with a Faraday cloth wrap under the bark. I'm just not prepared to go to a good site that seems active and scare them off with a trail cam at this time. 

I may also have to pick up some of the passive IR sensored lights you speak of, just for camp. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MIB said:

I have my doubts.    Passive is just that.    The current cameras do not project any sort of beam so there's nothing to be seen.   They have a sensor inside that can detect rapid changes in the amount of heat / light they receive across a very small portion of their surface.    The only time anything ever projects from them is the flash.    Stands to reason that if a BF saw the flash from the camera when a deer tripped it, then the BF might avoid the location of the camera, but the camera itself might as well be a lump of coal.     If there's anything, it's the charge on the battery or the smell of the plastic.   I doubt those, too, because 50% of cameras not place with thought to air movement are downwind of their target, undetectable by smell, and hopefully all of those placed with thought to air movement are out of the air current where they can be smelled.    High pitched buzz / whine .. maybe, but that has been tested with some mighty sensitive detection equipment without any proof of detection.

I tried an experiment a couple years ago.    I set up a camera w/o batteries in the field of view of another camera, then tripped that camera at night to see what the camo plastic case looks like under I.R.   It was a rectangular gray/black box, no sign of any camo.    So supposing BF really can see in the infared end of the spectrum .. I would think that trail cams we place and thing are invisible would be rectangular boxes, plain as day, strapped to the tree, to them.   

Another thing .. observation.   Though sometimes critters appear to see the cameras, I'm not convinced.   I have thousands of pictures of deer, elk, bear, coyotes, skunks, etc which appear completely oblivious to the camera that is taking their picture.   

My cameras have a dark red cover over the IR flash and another over the lens.   The one over the lens especially will glow blood red if it is hit by strong light from the side.    That could be a piece of the detection puzzle.

Yeah I like this and all of it runs right alongside my own thinking.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, Hoekler73 said:

A certain researcher likes to use cams facing behind him hiking. I don't agree with alot of his research,  but that seems to be an intriguing idea that might just work under the right circumstances.

Agreed and agreed. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NorthWind said:

One of these days I am going to deck mine out, similar to the way @wiiawiwbdoes it, with bark on it, but with a Faraday cloth wrap under the bark. I'm just not prepared to go to a good site that seems active and scare them off with a trail cam at this time. 

You and Madison have been masterful at selecting good areas that are producing. I agree wholeheartedly about not using trailcams in areas that produce. Why take a chance of spoiling a good thing?  I'd consider employing trailcams in areas that haven't produced that are along your vehicle route to the good areas. Easy to swap out cards and not take up a lot of time.

I never heard of Faraday cloth until you mentioned it some time ago. I think that's a good idea as it can only help. I'll try the same when I re-camo the next time. I've used camo duct tape on the trail cams over which I'd glue the bark.  Mine are camo'd using white pine which is prevalent in an area I use them. A new area I found last year has a lot of cedar so I plan on using it on at least one of the trailcams. The duct tape makes it a breeze to remove the whole camo coating and still have the camera plastic pristeen. Now that I'm thinking if it, I might try putting the faraday cloth under the camo duct tape when I do the cedar camo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, Madison5716 said:

Wow, that's both cool and creepy! I've seen bigfoot fingerprints before, and they look just like those. Glad you got a photo!

Update. July 5, 2020 = Our FLIR sighting in the Oregon Cascades. 2 bigfoots, about 100 yards or less in the woods, doing the typical tree peek thing. I very clearly saw it lean out from behind the tree - shoulder, head, shoulder. We've been past this spot often, on our way to other locations. We got it on FLIR, but it's shaky compared to what I saw. I had my arm settled on the open door of my truck, and panned around, very steady. I have zero doubt about what I saw. When we recorded, NorthWind was standing recording with the FLIR camera, and it's much shakier.

Then, in October 2020, we were at a lake, and something stared across a river at us from inside an 8-foot-tall culvert filled with 4 inches of running water, while we stared back at it wondering who or what it was. We hurried over to that side, but by the time we got there, it was long gone. I count it as a daylight sighting, but I can't prove it, of course. I didn't think to photograph it, and I kick myself daily about that.

We've found hundreds of footprints, dozens of track lines, and all the other things that bigfoots supposedly do. Can't say with 100% certainty that its bigfoots doing all this, since I've never seen them do it, but we hope to! We're slowly accumulating gear to that end, and you can see it all on our sub-forum here. We are out there nearly every weekend searching and exploring this mystery. We have a dozen research spots and are methodically gathering data from all this and it's beginning to pay off. I just wish more people actually cared. 

I love hearing everyone's stories. 

I'd love to see the FLIR footage.

I'm jealous. The closest I've came is seeing a footprint in soft earth by a creek when I was in my teens in 1982. Naturally, long before cell phone cameras...
I was with a church youth group and we went on an overnight camp. I told a few of the others what i saw but they just accused me of making it up. I got discouraged and dropped the subject.

1 hour ago, CelticKevin said:

I'd love to see the FLIR footage.

Here's the video up on NorthWind's channel. We also came back the next day and measured and explored for evidence and comparisons.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Here's the video up on NorthWind's channel. We also came back the next day and measured and explored for evidence and comparisons.

Thank you very much for that. Most intriguing! 

• Like 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 5 months later...

since 2007 i have seen 15 and been close to well over 50 based on Bigfoot sounds, grunts, screams, hoots, tree knocking etc.   I do not look for them.  I set up camp and for about 30 minutes I will play loud sounds of an animal in distress.  Anything new to them they will naturally investigate and with them being naturally curious of humans I have had them hide in the bushes and watch my party most if not all of the night.  Learned that trick from a man who lived in Chickasha Ok who liked to kill coyotes and would use the rabbit in distress.  He has had a mountain lion show up several times and even one time a Bigfoot thought he was about to get a free meal.  Now to hold their attention I play a tv all night long.  I have a projection tv and enough marine batteries to run an ac/dc converter for over 60 hours, and I have a screen that can be seen from both sides.  Even with that I still get rocks thrown sometimes.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:46 PM, MIB said:

large campground along the Rogue River near Grants Pass, Oregon ..

I just stayed in that campground!