How Many Members have had a sighting/experience?

DrBunsonHoneyDew

On 2/11/2022 at 6:12 PM, MIB said:

My cameras have a dark red cover over the IR flash and another over the lens.   The one over the lens especially will glow blood red if it is hit by strong light from the side.    That could be a piece of the detection puzzle.

MIB...I've read the above a few times and am not sure what the "dark red cover" and "another over the lens" you refer to.  Did they come with the camera or are they something you've added as an after-market part?

What exactly is the purpose of them?

They are OEM .. as delivered.   The covers .. keep dust / bird "poo" off of the lens and IR flash "bulbs".

covert.PNG.f4bf4696a351e962e25a7e690e64e97f.PNG

The 3 red arrows mark dark red plastic covers which will glow red if the sun hits them just right.    I believe the top one covers the array of IR flash "bulbs".    Either the middle one covers the sensor / trigger and the bottom one covers the camera lens or vice versa.

MIB

I have had three encounters in Oregon. I had one throw a huge rock at my trailer and left a huge dent in it. I have heard the "whoops" so loud that you can feel the vibration of sound. I have smelt the stench. I never went looking for them. All these experiences happened while big game and turkey hunting. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bigcathunter said:

I have had three encounters in Oregon. I had one throw a huge rock at my trailer and left a huge dent in it. I have heard the "whoops" so loud that you can feel the vibration of sound. I have smelt the stench. I never went looking for them. All these experiences happened while big game and turkey hunting. 

I have had many encounters in Oregon mainly because there were some that lived in my back yard from the time I was 12 to the time I went into the Air Force at 17. Also there were some in my big game hunting areas. Where I turkey hunt, now, I have always expected to see a sasquatch there. I don't know why, but I just have feeling that they are there, even though I have seen no evidence of them. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2022 at 3:12 PM, MIB said:

I tried an experiment a couple years ago.    I set up a camera w/o batteries in the field of view of another camera, then tripped that camera at night to see what the camo plastic case looks like under I.R.   It was a rectangular gray/black box, no sign of any camo.    So supposing BF really can see in the infared end of the spectrum .. I would think that trail cams we place and thing are invisible would be rectangular boxes, plain as day, strapped to the tree, to them.

Good test.  We lose track of animal vision, human vision and machine vision. The Atsko company has good info on deer vision. I considered the factory camera case colors worthless. They were / are good for marketing. I have ASAT camo fabric in solid cotton-ramie ( no longer available ) and 3-D leafy cut that I attach to cameras. The 3-D leafy cut reacts to wind.  Another brand, CamBush camo is easy to use.

Animals have keen senses for vision, hearing and smell on their home turf. Placing plastic boxes on trees has always been problematic. We just don't know what animals see in our equipment and keep guessing.

The little bear is curious but never messed with the camera. The camo cover is 3-D leafy cut. The image is in part daylight, part IR ( 850nm IR with the IR filter in position. ) as indicated by the little lightning bolt in the upper right side info bar.  I assume that the animals see the ASAT material as blobs of grey scales.

wpt006 bear looking at RM45-1.JPG

Edited by Catmandoo
more text
  • Upvote 1

I’ve had one encounter. When I was 15, my father took me deer hunting. We never saw any deer, so after some time he started to pack up. As he was doing that, I heard a crow cawing loudly and making a racket. I looked up, and I saw a white human shaped creature walking deeper into the forest towards my left. I have a hesitation about calling it an encounter because I never saw facial features or other details since it was far away from me. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, Doug said:

I have had many encounters in Oregon mainly because there were some that lived in my back yard from the time I was 12 to the time I went into the Air Force at 17. Also there were some in my big game hunting areas. Where I turkey hunt, now, I have always expected to see a sasquatch there. I don't know why, but I just have feeling that they are there, even though I have seen no evidence of them. 

That just might happen some time. Several years ago, a turkey hunter near Honobia, Okla. was in a blind up a short slope, and saw a Bigfoot walk across a bit beyond the bottom of the slope. It just walked on through the woods and disappeared, and never gave any indication it noticed the hunter. 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:37 PM, SouthernBigfoot said:

I’ve had one encounter. When I was 15, my father took me deer hunting. We never saw any deer, so after some time he started to pack up. As he was doing that, I heard a crow cawing loudly and making a racket. I looked up, and I saw a white human shaped creature walking deeper into the forest towards my left. I have a hesitation about calling it an encounter because I never saw facial features or other details since it was far away from me. 

That's interesting. You could rule out another hunter since they would have been wearing blaze orange and that stuff is visible for quite a distance.  

Someone posted years ago:  “Bigfoot is like the KGB of Russia, you don’t find them they find you”.  

I think this sums up my feelings pretty well. 

I would like to rephrase the Q asked on this thread….

FOR THOSE WHO HAD A SIGHTING, WAS THIS FROM ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR BIGFOOT VS. A CHANCE ENCOUNTER? 

I'm guessing most encounters are chance encounters.

2 hours ago, Backdoc said:

FOR THOSE WHO HAD A SIGHTING, WAS THIS FROM ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR BIGFOOT VS. A CHANCE ENCOUNTER?

"Yes".  :)

The first sighting was chance.    The other one, and both "probablys", were a blend.   I was doing something else (ish) but had chosen the location in a deliberate and calculated way to increase my odds of a chance sighting.    One of the "probablys" occurred when I was assisting another investigator following up on a report.   He knew I knew the area.   He did not realize it was in the exact spot I'd been investigating anomalous activity for over 5 years.   Neither of us expected something black and hairy to jump up and run away down the mountain upright though we knew we were in a "spot."

MIB

58 minutes ago, MIB said:

"Yes".  :)

The first sighting was chance.    The other one, and both "probablys", were a blend.   I was doing something else (ish) but had chosen the location in a deliberate and calculated way to increase my odds of a chance sighting.    One of the "probablys" occurred when I was assisting another investigator following up on a report.   He knew I knew the area.   He did not realize it was in the exact spot I'd been investigating anomalous activity for over 5 years.   Neither of us expected something black and hairy to jump up and run away down the mountain upright though we knew we were in a "spot."

MIB

Thanks for sharing.

I have watched a few Bigfoot shows I’ve the years.  It seems many of these stories are people who are out in the woods for picnic, hiking or whatever.   

I’ll assume those who are looking for Bigfoot are actually prepared.   If they go out looking I’m guessing they are armed with cameras and video stuff.  In that way if there were more prepared people looking having success we would have more pics/vids to consider.

This makes me think most people see Bigfoot by never intending to see Bigfoot.   Many of those witnesses come forward reluctantly.  They seem to like to be believed but they say,”I know what I saw”

Roger and Bob increased their chances by going where activity had recently been reported.   Even then we could say they stumbled on Bigfoot while hunting for tracks vs hunted for Bigfoot and finding one.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Backdoc said:

I’ll assume those who are looking for Bigfoot are actually prepared.   If they go out looking I’m guessing they are armed with cameras and video stuff.  In that way if there were more prepared people looking having success we would have more pics/vids to consider.

This makes me think most people see Bigfoot by never intending to see Bigfoot.   Many of those witnesses come forward reluctantly.  They seem to like to be believed but they say,”I know what I saw”

Roger and Bob increased their chances by going where activity had recently been reported.   Even then we could say they stumbled on Bigfoot while hunting for tracks vs hunted for Bigfoot and finding one.

I'm not sure I would agree with your conclusion. Going into the woods prepared doesn't always mean you're prepared for every second of every minute of each day. You put down your recording gear to start a fire. The same when you cook your meal, then eat, or go to take a leak.

Sometimes, you simply cannot be prepared to get to your camera/video eqipment and hit the record button in a heart beat. Half-seconds count when the object of your travails is exiting at unimaginable speed. It's moments such as those that tests one's resolve.

I do agree completely that the best we can do is increase the odds by putting ourselves out there for an interaction to occur especially during the Dog Days of Summer (soon to conclude).

My first experience, when I saw the unmistakable prints was by chance. During the week after, it was reported in the news that a fly fisherman had seen a sasquatch in the creek below where we saw the prints, the day after.

We moved to a place shortly after, that had screams, samurai chatter, howls and such. My brother saw one during this time. I believe they still come around there, but, their property is small now and we do not have access to the old property we had before.

My brother and I decided to go hunting in a place we had not been to in a few years. We saw what I believe was a woven vine maple nest. Close by, that day, we went down an old cat road. The tops of all the fir and alder trees that lined the right side of the road, were close to 20 feet tall had the tops twisted to the right and were left hanging at about 12 to 15 feet high. This was for the entire length of the cat road and no other trees had this. We heard dozens of wood knocks very close by, sometimes as close as 50 yards, that paralleled us all they way up.

A buddy and I decided to go to another place to hunt about 4 miles away as the crow flies. We heard knocks all evening and knocks every time we hunted there.

We decided to hunt a spot a few weeks later about 10 miles away. I experienced a mind speak thing and my buddy saw a sasquatch near my location. 

A buddy and I go hunting and decide to hike in at night to do some elk bugling and a large boulder was THROWN at us.

I go camping with some buddies for a hunting trip over 100 miles from where these experiences happened and we had a very scary night time visit.

Another buddy and I go hunting in an area far from anywhere I had the experiences and we hear EXTREMELY loud roars similar to an African lion.

I have an experience in the woods while hunting that was very much mind speak, but I can't say for sure that it is sasquatch related, although, I suspect it could be.

My brother has a terrifying night with one charging their campsite with such veracity that they had to leave.

He also had a full moon sighting of three sasquatches in a meadow that looked like boulders at about 50 yards away. Something didn't look right as they looked to be moving, so he approached the boulders. Then one stood up and my brother froze. Then it lunged forward  and my brother ran through the woods back to the car.

There are a lot of things that happened on my parents property that I could go on and on about. It does seem like there is something more than coincidence. But, I really don't want to read too much into it other than sometimes unexplainable things happen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm not sure I would agree with your conclusion. Going into the woods prepared doesn't always mean you're prepared for every second of every minute of each day. You put down your recording gear to start a fire. The same when you cook your meal, then eat, or go to take a leak.

Sometimes, you simply cannot be prepared to get to your camera/video eqipment and hit the record button in a heart beat. Half-seconds count when the object of your travails is exiting at unimaginable speed. It's moments such as those that tests one's resolve.

I do agree completely that the best we can do is increase the odds by putting ourselves out there for an interaction to occur especially during the Dog Days of Summer (soon to conclude).

Any pic or video of Bigfoot requires one to 1) have a camera or video ability with them 2) be fast enough on the quick draw to actually capture what you see with the camera.    

those with a random encounter today might have a phone with them to capture the video.    But for years very very few people walked around even with a camera.    Since cell phones one might be an unexpected “prepared” filmer of Bigfoot only in that they see something they are not expecting but at least have the ability to try to film it should they be composed enough.

The  prepared encounter person not only have better composer but certainly would be more likely to 1) have a cell phone or camera ready, charged, nearby, and able.  2) likely be armed with other video equiptment moreso than the casual hiker or forrest worker.