Lost Interest In Backpacking Or Hiking Due To Bf?

georgerm

Guest TooRisky

I saw a show segment on that attack.

It appears that after Vancouver Island, California and Colorado are the next highest attack sites on list.

I would have to agree... If you do not bring some form of protection...

you may just find your self or your loved ones in the mouth of a preditore...

simply the The rules change when ya enter the woods...

Too bad we don't still live in that era, when people shot cougars.

And it's funny you drop the past 20 years. It just so happens that there have been ELEVEN cougar fatalities since 1990, which is when cougar populations exploded in the West after cougar hunting was downright banned or severely restricted throughout the West.

Oh, and by the way, even your original claim of only one human fatality between 1890 & 1990 was incorrect. There were seven. There have been a grand total of 23 deaths attributed to cougars in North America between 1890 and 2010.

In comparison, there have been 94 confirmed fatalities from black, brown, and polar bears since 1900. That is certainly an incomplete record.

I really wish people would more carefully read what I write, and the statistics I cite. I used the word "adult" in the description of the human deaths I cited. That was done for a reason.

The statistics I provided clearly list more than one person who died during the 100-year period. Anyone familiar with cougar attacks knows that whenever they have ventured into the human world their indubitable preference of prey was children, not adults.

That's a difference with a distinction. Cougars have almost never fatally attacked adult humans. The risk is far too high.

Kindly source your post-1990 statistics showing which attacks were on adults vs. children. My data was sourced by age and, therefore, my conclusion was dead-on accurate.

So no one fears for their children? Plain and simple anything is dangerous if not respected. Going into what is for most an alien area and throwing caution to the wind is a great way to get hurt. Either from native animal, mechanical injuries, getting lost, or the elements. Respect the forests.

So no one fears for their children? Plain and simple anything is dangerous if not respected. Going into what is for most an alien area and throwing caution to the wind is a great way to get hurt. Either from native animal, mechanical injuries, getting lost, or the elements. Respect the forests.

I don't know any clear-thinking, and responsible, adult who would let their children play alone, or hike alone, in the forest in cougar country.

Perhaps others do.

Edited by wiiawiwb

do we really need to demonize cougars and use fear mongering to suggest our children are in danger?.. a kid has more danger from being molested by a relative than getting killed by a cougar. This tactic has been used by humans to justify their need to kill and destroy things for centuries.

So then we can agree that there is a chance of danger?

I never said there was no danger to children. Anyone who would conclude that a child roaming around alone in cougar country is not potentially at risk would be foolhearty.

I've only said that cougar are absolutely no threat to adults....and they're not.

From what I've read in the thread at least 3 adult humans would disagree. Eventually there will be a fourth. I wouldn't say no danger, either. Even if you survive you could be pretty busted up.

I'm not going to nitpick any further. My purpose was to post credible data about cougar attacks so people have reliable information about this issue.

I'm not looking for agreement; rather, for clarity of facts.

Every person can decide for themselves whether a cougar represents a credible and potentially dangerous threat. I've made my decision and others will make their own ...as it should be.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I never said there was no danger to children. Anyone who would conclude that a child roaming around alone in cougar country is not potentially at risk would be foolhearty.

I've only said that cougar are absolutely no threat to adults....and they're not.

To begin with, I wouldn't use the words...'absolutely no threat to adults'...

I'll have to disagree. IMO, a Cougar like any predator will not make a decision to attack, what it perceives as prey...based on whether the prey is a child. Predators usually look for small, weak...what they may perceive as 'vulnerable' in some manner.

A number of people ...can meet those criteria. Age is not necessarily an absolute determining factor.

Is it ?

Edited by Lesmore

Most reports of mountain-lion sightings, however, are "misidentifications," in Turner's estimation. "People will see a house cat and swear it was a mountain lion," he says. During his service with California Fish and Game, Turner says he met people who insisted that pictures taken of domestic cats during investigations were of mountain lions instead. He also remembers attacks being faked and false evidence being provided to support them.

Most reports of mountain-lion sightings, however, are "misidentifications," in Turner's estimation. "People will see a house cat and swear it was a mountain lion," he says. During his service with California Fish and Game, Turner says he met people who insisted that pictures taken of domestic cats during investigations were of mountain lions instead. He also remembers attacks being faked and false evidence being provided to support them.

All very good and I'm sure this does happen. But how do you rationalize Cougar attacks that have been documented and the severe injuries that a number of people have incurred as a result of Cougar attacks.

These severe injuries and in some cases...deaths were not done by a house cat.

Interesting to note, too, that the North American cougar population has vastly expanded in the past twenty years, reclaiming much of their historic range.

I really wish people would more carefully read what I write, and the statistics I cite. I used the word "adult" in the description of the human deaths I cited. That was done for a reason.

Ah, you are quite correct. I did fail to recognize your critically important qualifier. I apologize.

Now, as for your "reason". Just why would you decide to ignore the risk for children?

The statistics I provided clearly list more than one person who died during the 100-year period. Anyone familiar with cougar attacks knows that whenever they have ventured into the human world their indubitable preference of prey was children, not adults.

You are, again, quite correct. Cougars do prefer killing and eating children. In fact, they also tend to enjoy killing and eating female joggers and bicyclists. Being more intelligent than those humans who don't like for people to be armed and able to protect themselves, cougars wisely choose the weakest to prey on.

And, so, the lesson is...............what, exactly? Pray tell. I certainly don't want to make another error.

That's a difference with a distinction. Cougars have almost never fatally attacked adult humans. The risk is far too high.

Indeed, especially if the poor cat decides to attack The Huntster. That would be a near certain death sentence. My mere behavior and gaze would clearly inform them of that.

Kindly source your post-1990 statistics showing which attacks were on adults vs. children. My data was sourced by age and, therefore, my conclusion was dead-on accurate.

I cannot, because you are correct. Cougars do, indeed, wisely choose the weakest to attack.

Thus, folks, have no fear in the woods (unless you're small, young, and/or unarmed).

Would you agree?

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic