Lost Interest In Backpacking Or Hiking Due To Bf?

georgerm

no need to let fear of sasquatch squelch your outdoors interests.

go on out there, hike,hunt,fish,camp etc. ........all you gotta do to keep squatch at bay is sprinkle a little bit o' this in your shorts & presto! problem solved!monkeybutt.jpgB)

• 1 year later...
BFF Patron

Naw, lost interest in camping in a certain research area though......... lol

Two times was the charm biggrin.gif

Wait, I don't believe that's entirely correct. There was the case of the female dragged off a trail by a cougar within the past ten (maybe fewer) years. Her friend came to her assistance, and the victim escaped. A male body was then recovered that the cat had previously killed. I'm not taking time to google it up, but most my details are correct.

I saw that story on Animal Planet I think Inc. That poor girls face. Thankfully her friend was there to fight for her.

Naw, lost interest in camping in a certain research area though......... lol

Two times was the charm biggrin.gif

There are a couple of spots where I won't go alone anymore either, namely one in particular over the other. It's a spot where there is only one way to walk in and one way to walk out.

BFF Patron

Interesting, the area I had in mind........there is one easy way in .......and one easy way out.......if you run into trouble, all bet's are off but there are ways to get out.......just no easy ways. tongue.gif

Hmmm....wonder what the comparisons/contrasts are re: the two areas? Mine is montane........can't imagine your's is......?

Interesting, the area I had in mind........there is one easy way in .......and one easy way out.......if you run into trouble, all bet's are off but there are ways to get out.......just no easy ways. tongue.gif

Given the choice I think I would take my chances with what is by many accounts at the least a semi-cognitive creature over the cold blooded gators I would have swim with in order to escape. Gators are not stupid, they are galactically patient and cunning, but still have a one-track mind when it comes to eating and the menu is wide open.

Edited by Tautriadelta

Guest Bsal9872

Wow, that story about the BF hand over that fellows face really freaked me out. I would be very welcome to a Bigfoot sighting during daylight hours, but if I were to have a sighting in the darkness I would most likely soil my pants and call it quits as far as the woods are concerned. I am also very catious towards bears, cougars and strange people in the woods. I think the fear factor with Bigfoot for me is that it is likely an intelligent being capable of human like behaviors. Every once in a while I have a nightmare of a rather evil looking bf with a creepy grin and sinister eyes/ eyebrows enticing me with hand gestures to come into the woods. As he backs up into the forest, the bushes bend around him and he continues to use that finger hand motion and that creepy grin to get me to go outside. Horrible nightmare.

Guest BuzzardEater

I do not believe BF is currently a threat to humans. Hike away! I also believe that they can understand english. Further, the only times I recall hearing of a charge or other display is when the human ignores boundaries.

The only thing is, that animals do unconventional things all the time. They do not seem to honor conventions or history at all. Little black bears broke into a lady's house in BC last year and ate her.

Canada does not allow handguns at all to be carried at all. There are obvious exceptions and I wore a .38 for years as a uniform adornment. Most common response to a displayed gun in Canada is a sort of snicker, like you have been caught with lacey panties or a thong. It's considered to be a sign of weakness. An adversary would ask you what you are afraid of and then press charges if you make threatening motions towards it. You cannot draw it without seeing a weapon. The most serious risk is of being beaten with your own gun. Seriously. Most guys at this company didn't load thier guns or carry ammo so they wouldn't be shot with them. During my time there a supervisor was demonstrating a break front holster to someone and accidentally shot him in the nuts. Nobody ever used the practice range again.

Has the study of BF caused you to not enjoy nature? When back packing or just hiking in areas where BF roams, does sleeping out creep-you-out to the point where it is not fun? I have read too many stories and ignorance is no longer bliss.

A friend of mine was sleeping out and a BF came up in the middle of the night and put his hand over his face. He freaked and saw the monster running away. This might be a form of BF humor, but incidents like this can ruin the joy of camping out.

I will camp out in a hard body trailer or high in the trees in a hammock, but not alone on the ground unless I have a good big watch dog. I don't have such a dog so forget it. Feeling unprotected in a sleeping is not enjoyable even if I have my 12 guage.

I had a hallucination once that something was prowling around my car one night when I was sleeping in a parking lot. Not a squatch at all by the way. Too many legs. But I had a hard time getting to sleep the next few nights I can tell you that. ;)

The BF putting hands to the person face/mouth, makes me wonder if the person was snoring and the BF wanted the person to stop, or maybe just curious. Regardless it would have scared the crap out of me literally and metaphorically..

Based on reading a number of reports where BF had paid visits to camp site during the night are actions I would define or describe as curious actions. Touching or poking the tent, grasping fingers, toes, standing over the tent gazing down quietly observing the camper inside.. Once the campers is awaken and notices the outline of a large figure above them, the figure then quietly turns and walks away. All in all, what appears to accumulate from reports are more or less an encounter of non-aggressive actions. Essentially acts of curiosity. Other than the Albert Ostman story, which many feel is a fabricated story by Osterman, as I can't say this for all reports of this nature, don't recall reading reports where BF applied actual harm. Yes, campers have been awaken during the night from terrifying screams close by. Probably letting the camper know that their in his or her territory and are unwelcome. Others report having small rock's/pebbles being tossed onto the tent, as if to irritate and/or play games with the camper(s) inside. To draw the camper out of their tent, then go silent, waiting for the camper to return to their tent, to then start the game like activity minutes later over and over, sometimes for hours on end.. In the end causing the camper to become simply pissed off at the repeated toying like actions..

I can't say what I would do until it happens to me and I hope it never does..

Edited by St.Croix

Wow, that story about the BF hand over that fellows face really freaked me out. I would be very welcome to a Bigfoot sighting during daylight hours, but if I were to have a sighting in the darkness I would most likely soil my pants and call it quits as far as the woods are concerned. I am also very catious towards bears, cougars and strange people in the woods. I think the fear factor with Bigfoot for me is that it is likely an intelligent being capable of human like behaviors. Every once in a while I have a nightmare of a rather evil looking bf with a creepy grin and sinister eyes/ eyebrows enticing me with hand gestures to come into the woods. As he backs up into the forest, the bushes bend around him and he continues to use that finger hand motion and that creepy grin to get me to go outside. Horrible nightmare.

So far BF has not crept into my dreams, but my wife did say I was talking in my sleep about BF. So far I haven't recalled any BF dreams but they are on the way!

Maybe when meeting BF, a person should have some gifts handy, and then act real docile and even go on one knee. If BF is not realy happy with us in its back yard, then just back step. This is my plan. Going for the pistol will be a last resort.

The BF putting hands to the person face/mouth, makes me wonder if the person was snoring and the BF wanted the person to stop, or maybe just curious. Regardless it would have scared the crap out of me literally and metaphorically..

Based on reading a number of reports where BF had paid visits to camp site during the night are actions I would define or describe as curious actions. Touching or poking the tent, grasping fingers, toes, standing over the tent gazing down quietly observing the camper inside.. Once the campers is awaken and notices the outline of a large figure above them, the figure then quietly turns and walks away. All in all, what appears to accumulate from reports are more or less an encounter of non-aggressive actions. Essentially acts of curiosity. Other than the Albert Ostman story, which many feel is a fabricated story by Osterman, as I can't say this for all reports of this nature, don't recall reading reports where BF applied actual harm. Yes, campers have been awaken during the night from terrifying screams close by. Probably letting the camper know that their in his or her territory and are unwelcome. Others report having small rock's/pebbles being tossed onto the tent, as if to irritate and/or play games with the camper(s) inside. To draw the camper out of their tent, then go silent, waiting for the camper to return to their tent, to then start the game like activity minutes later over and over, sometimes for hours on end.. In the end causing the camper to become simply pissed off at the repeated toying like actions..

I can't say what I would do until it happens to me and I hope it never does..

One time my buddy and I cut wood way out in the Oregon deep forest and decided to sleep out. During the night I jerked awake, and saw this fuzzy head looking over a log at us. The moon light was enough to make out some detail. At the time I thought bear, but I remember there were no big round ears. The head was huge and disappeared behind the log when I rubbed my eyes for a double take. Still don't know if it was a bad dream. Next time I will lay out claymore mines, trip cords, and flairs for some camp security the Marine Corps way!

I enjoy hiking (mostly in big parks like Hillsborough River State Park) but thats because I live in a big city. Some things scare me, some don't. I have come across a couple huge diamonsback rattlesnakes (as big around as my thigh) and didn't bat an eye. I thought oh kewl a big rattlesnake. I respect them, but I know they live in Florida, etc. I thought they were really neat to see out in their own environment. One was actually coming out from under my car in the parking lot...

I will be okay in the woods until I (naturally) start to think about BF and then I scare myself. Then it seems like every little sound starts to freak me out even though I know I am not out in the middle of nowhere. If a turkey popped out of the palmettos I would just faint right then and there. Same thing when those big banana spiders get on me. I just drop. Cold. Im like those fainting goats.

But alligators, snakes, etc. No biggie. We do have foxes here but I have not seen one. Oddly they seem to attack a lot of people. I have never seen pigs in the park but wild pigs come through where we live now and then which is just up the river.

^^ I get freaked out when a spider the size of a dime is on me...

Just the phrase "Big Banana Spiders" is enough to get my hairs up, and make my skin crawl...

God, sometimes I'm glad I live in the Northeast... yea its cold, but we dont have "Big Banana Spiders" either...

A.

what sucks with the spiders is they have this habit of making their webs 1) at face level 2) across a path 3) where you will walk. And the spiders do this thing that freaks me out... when you get near them they start to vibrate and I think they are going to come flying off of their web like a trampoline and jump on me.

This says they are the largest non Tarantula spider in North America... :unsure:

http://www.shadygrovetrainingcenter.com/Wildlife/bannana_spider_photo_gallery.htm

I have noticed at least one BF report from Hillsborough River State Park so I might have to reconsider going on hikes there.

I sleep outside unprotected and I've been fine (had my .45 at least). There was a few times where I got to thinking about bigfoot and I just freaked myself out.

If that were to happen to me, holy S&*% I would never step foot in the woods again

When I was about 20, I woke up one morning on a shore or a dam on top of a mountian ,about 4 miles from the main road , and I started looking around like, how the heck did I get here ? I stood up and walked a couple paces and BEHOLD ! my quad!! then it came back to me, I was at the bar and decided to leave but didn't want to leave alone so I took JACK DANIELS home with me. I think he was the one who talk me into driving 2 miles through the middle of town,then on 2 miles of highway, to get to beginning of the 4 mile trail to the dam. I remember driving home at 7:00 a.m., the same route, with a hangover

that would put a whole Army platoon in the hospital, and just cursed myself the whole way.

Needless to say that was the last time I ever went anywhere with JD.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic