Lost Interest In Backpacking Or Hiking Due To Bf?

georgerm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Heck, this has two adults in your time period and another 8 after that.

Ten of twenty three total fatalities (43%) were over the age of 18.

But never mind the facts. You have been corrected. Simply accept it and let others do likewise:

I've only said that cougar are absolutely no threat to adults....and they're not.

Most reports of mountain-lion sightings, however, are "misidentifications," in Turner's estimation. "People will see a house cat and swear it was a mountain lion," he says. During his service with California Fish and Game, Turner says he met people who insisted that pictures taken of domestic cats during investigations were of mountain lions instead. He also remembers attacks being faked and false evidence being provided to support them.

This is <adjective> proof that mountain lions don't exist.

Indeed, especially if the poor cat decides to attack The Huntster. That would be a near certain death sentence. My mere behavior and gaze would clearly inform them of that.

:lol: Now my screen is soaked

This may be out there but here goes. There is another element at play here besides courgar attack statistics. One wild animal victim is worth 1000 who fall prey to cars, planes, or criminals. A person mauled by a cougar or bear or chased by Bigfoot sends a large ripple through the minds of humans. We all feel the fear of the victim and sympathize. The terror is magnified in our minds. Then anger sets in, and we want the animal brought to justice and butchered. A car accident victim does not produce the ripple effect. When a child is molested, we cringe for a short time. Wild animal attacks, though rare, create vast oceans of fear when the criminal down the street or drunk driver is far greater danger. Is this why a BF encounter or cougar sighting produces more fear than 100 close calls while driving?

Is this why a BF encounter or cougar sighting produces more fear than 100 close calls while driving?

I'm much more afraid of poor drivers than I am wild animals. But it depends. When I'm in the woods, for some funny reason, I'm not much worried about Gladys, her cell phone, and her SUV. But when I'm driving my car, I'm as afraid of Gladys as I am a moose stepping out in front of me.

I remember reading about a cougar attack on Vancouver Island that happened to an older man who was walking with his wife. I believe his only weapon was a pen and he managed to stab it in the eyes and scare it off but he was mauled quite badly. Tons of stitches in his head where it was biting him.

Guest Lesmore

I remember reading about a cougar attack on Vancouver Island that happened to an older man who was walking with his wife. I believe his only weapon was a pen and he managed to stab it in the eyes and scare it off but he was mauled quite badly. Tons of stitches in his head where it was biting him.

Yes, you're right....it did happen...around 2005, although the man was walking alone without the company of his wife, if this is the same incident.

The man was a retired logging company employee, in his early 60's, out for his daily walk...on a road... in the northern part of Vancouver Island.

He heard something behind him,turned and a 3-4 year old, healthy male Cougar* jumped him...clawing and biting....in full attack mode.

The man carried a pocket knife, managed to get it open...stabbed the Cougar and finally was able to slit the Cougar's throat, killing it.

The man was badly injured, particularly around the face and head and if he hadn't had the knife, might not of been able to survive.

* The carcass of the Cougar was later examined by wildlife officials, I believe and they determined the health, sex, approximate age, etc.

I have seen a picture of the dead Cougar's head as it lay lifeless, on the surface of a gravel road.

My account is from memory and although IMO, I have an excellent memory, for those who would like a more documented account, there are a number of references (newspaper accounts, etc.) available in the internet, describing this incident.

:D Les

Edited by Lesmore

That very well could be the same case Les, but I was sure his wife had been with him and I was sure I read pen, but maybe it was pen knife? I'm just going off of memory though and could be totally wrong. :)

These severe injuries and in some cases...deaths were not done by a house cat.

Unless, of course, it was Toonces the driving cat after a night of heavy drinking. :D

Well after reading that clearly cougars are safe animals. I want to go pet one.

I'll bet they have a loud purr. When they knead on your body and extend their claws in love, it's so stimulating.

Nah, thats too predatory.

Anyway, again, really no Sasquatch sightings around here. So that wouldn't be a concern. Not too much of anything down here really. Coyotes, occasionally hear about Cougar and Black Bear sightings. Nothing that would or has kept me up. Now in a different area I don't know.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic