Lost Interest In Backpacking Or Hiking Due To Bf?

georgerm

Guest Lesmore

Here's the story I was thinking of, but I was wrong. It never occured on Vancouver Island and the pen didn't help all that much. It was his wife who saved him.

Cougar vs Pen

I wasn't aware of that incident....quite a story.

Les

I had heard of that story, but was, indeed, confusing it with the Vancouver Island attack on the elderly man.

I guess because these were attacks on grown men, and we have been instructed that adults have nothing to fear from lions, I was confused................. ;)

We have our share of snakes, that is a fact. However a lot of my camping has been done at cooler times of the year. Plus if you keep the tent zipped I find snakes have a hard time unzipping them. Otherwise just be aware of your surroundings. Generally snakes try to avoid people.

Plus if you keep the tent zipped I find snakes have a hard time unzipping them.

Stupid snakes. :D

Bears have a difficult time unzipping tents, too, so they make up for it by collapsing them when treating them like giant beach balls. :lol:

SSR Team

You guys have water moccasins and rattlesnakes. That's much worse than any bear, in my book.

& i have King Cobra's & Reticulated Pythons along with DOZENS of other real bad Snakes where i am but give me all of them over any Brown Bear, any day of the week H.. ;)

The Grass isn't always greener on the other side i guess.. :D

& i have King Cobra's & Reticulated Pythons along with DOZENS of other real bad Snakes where i am but give me all of them over any Brown Bear, any day of the week H.. ;)

The pythons don't bother me, but cobras suck. It's the pit vipers that upset me the most, and I suspect you have those where you're at, too.........

Guest BCCryptid

They are. A few years ago, I recall reading a story and seeing a news interview, of a Vancouver Island, retired logger who was in his mid 60's at the time.

He had experienced a cougar attack and managed either to fight it off, or kill it. He always carried a large hunting knife when walking in the woods and this knife was the key to his survival.

Yes, and as someone who has lived there most of his life, I can tell you I always carry a big knife, and/or a weapon hiking staff (crawford survival staff) and I always keep my daughter within 5 feet at all times.

That being said I do not fear them, nor does it reduce my desire to get out in the woods with my daughter as often as I can.

We don't carry firearms for hiking, it's not worth the gestapo shake down if your caught, as it is illegal, even to carry a handgun for self defense while grizzly hunting in Canada.

Edited by BCCryptid

Yes, and as someone who has lived there most of his life, I can tell you I always carry a big knife, and/or a weapon hiking staff (crawford survival staff) and I always keep my daughter within 5 feet at all times.

That being said I do not fear them, nor does it reduce my desire to get out in the woods with my daughter as often as I can.

We don't carry firearms for hiking, it's not worth the gestapo shake down if your caught, as it is illegal, even to carry a handgun for self defense while grizzly hunting in Canada.

What is a Crawford Survival Staff?

So are hand guns are totally illegal in Canada?

Is there much said about BF on the island? Do hikers fear running into one?

Guest Greldek

I used to backpack deep into wild grizzly country solo all the time, and sleep under the stars, and not bat an eye about it. So bigfoot was never a concern. My attitude back then was "if I die, I die, at least I died doing what I love." What stopped my risky backpacking adventures was finding the love of my life, and having more to live for than my own personal enjoyment. I stopped backpacking like that, and keep most of my outdoor activities to well known and used areas now, or in groups. It's not really the same, but I no longer worry about just myself. But fear of being attacked by animals had never been a concern for me, I've always known it was a scenario that could happen, and I was prepared to meet that scenario head on, even if it meant death, to enjoy the wilderness. Now I'm not willing to risk my life for that enjoyment, because I can't stand the thought of leaving my wife behind, just so I could go on a solo trip into the wilderness.

I used to backpack deep into wild grizzly country solo all the time, and sleep under the stars, and not bat an eye about it. So bigfoot was never a concern. My attitude back then was "if I die, I die, at least I died doing what I love." What stopped my risky backpacking adventures was finding the love of my life, and having more to live for than my own personal enjoyment. I stopped backpacking like that, and keep most of my outdoor activities to well known and used areas now, or in groups. It's not really the same, but I no longer worry about just myself.......

Remarkably, my experience has been almost opposite. When young, I always went with others. That's what they told us to do. Even then I got shot by a fellow bird hunter as a teen (thankfully, quail shot, only one pellet through the lip).

Then in 2001, I took a 000 buckshot ball (36 caliber, 68 grain) to the head when a fellow hunter shot in my direction. Another ball hit me in the chest, but a pistol in a bandolier holster stopped it. It was 36 below zero, winds blowing hard, and nearly 50 snowmobile miles from the nearest, lonely road. The ball to the head nearly entered my skull through my right eye socket, but went outward, tracking between the skull and skin until it came to rest against my temporal artery. More luck; just two miles away was a wilderness lodge, and somebody was there with a radio phone. I was helicoptered out and to the hospital. I was blinded in that eye for months, but eventually my sight returned. It was widely regarded a miracle that I was not killed, and nobody believed that I got my sight back.

Fast forward to last fall. After a four day journey by pickup truck and riverboat and arriving well up the Huslia River, a hunting partner just had to start a campfire in a strong wind (you know the types that always have to be screwing with fire?). It got away from him, and started a forest fire. My camp was consumed in the flames. Much of my gear was lost. I was fortunate to save my bedroll, rifle, satellite phone, and rain gear. All the other guys gear survived. I had to continue the two week hunt, taking care of those fools, and help pack their moose out. One of them even shot my moose and wanted me to punch my tag.

This year my two hunting partners didn't try to kill me, but one needed me to dress his caribou out because his back went out, and the other shot a sub-legal moose for me to pack out for him. I ended up going back into the field alone after coming out to turn in the sub-legal moose with him and I got my caribou alone. No issues the second time, and the solo trip was absolutely peaceful and wonderful.

I need others like I need a nuclear explosion in my watch pocket. I'm safer without them.

Guest Lesmore

Same here...same country...a few provinces over...federal laws. As you do, I still hike, have been doing so for 50 + years. But also as you do, I carry a good sized knife....not a folder....hunting knife in a sheath.

Edited by Lesmore

I used to backpack deep into wild grizzly country solo all the time, and sleep under the stars, and not bat an eye about it. So bigfoot was never a concern. My attitude back then was "if I die, I die, at least I died doing what I love." What stopped my risky backpacking adventures was finding the love of my life, and having more to live for than my own personal enjoyment. I stopped backpacking like that, and keep most of my outdoor activities to well known and used areas now, or in groups. It's not really the same, but I no longer worry about just myself. But fear of being attacked by animals had never been a concern for me, I've always known it was a scenario that could happen, and I was prepared to meet that scenario head on, even if it meant death, to enjoy the wilderness. Now I'm not willing to risk my life for that enjoyment, because I can't stand the thought of leaving my wife behind, just so I could go on a solo trip into the wilderness.

Really a cool reply and how a family can change ones perspective.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic